Kauai or Maui from Wakiki?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 5th, 2012, 02:51 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Which island and which hotel do you prefer? It's only for 4 to 5 nights so the budget is around $300-$400 a night, nothing outrageous. We're looking for upscale, quiet, less famiies, good food, etc. We'll have a car or a jeep or something. Thanks in advance.
Old May 5th, 2012, 03:23 PM

Personally, I prefer Maui - between Lahaina and Napili area. It sounds though like you may prefer Kauai although I am not sure "upscale" is a good description in general. Definitely quieter and if you like hiking and that type of activity it would be good. Maui is more people. Four days on Kauai was enough for me.
Old May 5th, 2012, 03:43 PM
Original Poster

We're not hikers at all! Anyone else have feedback? Thanks in advance.
Old May 5th, 2012, 03:44 PM
Original Poster

and thanks, charli, for your input. where do you stay on Maui?
Old May 5th, 2012, 04:48 PM

I love both - if you want to be in a resort at one hotel in a strip of hotels and condos, stay in Kaanapali Beach - the Hyatt is probably the most upscale, and the choices range from the Kaanapali Beach Hotel and Sheraton on the less upscale, low-key end, to the Westin and Hyatt at the more upscale, glitzy pool end. The other choices are the very upscale Kaanapali Alii condos, the not-so-upscale Whaler condos and the excellent Maui timeshare resort.

For lower key in general, go north of Black Rock to the "other" part of Kaanapali Beach, north of that to Napili Bay (more "homey", less resorty) and north of that to Kapalua (Ritz-Carlton).

Others will chime in regarding the Kihei/Wailea area I'm sure.

Kauai is less developed than Maui. Yes, it is fabulous for hiking, but I've only hiked twice all the times I've been there. Many people love the north shore - gorgeous gorgeous beaches, cliffs, etc., cute little Hanelei, spectacular natural scenery . I don't like to stay up there because most hotels/condos are not on the beach, they''re above the beach, so we stay south at Poipu Beac, where there are nice condos and hotels, and some very good restaurants.

What "experience" are you looking for?
Old May 5th, 2012, 05:05 PM

The incredible beautiful Bali Hai view of the North Shore of Kauai at Princeville/Hanalei. No conteast - not even close.
Old May 5th, 2012, 05:06 PM
Original Poster

thanks for chiming in, sf7307: We'll be in the hustle and bustle of Waikiki first using some points for an average hotel. I would like the second leg of the trip to be upscale, beachfront, Not really in the middle of things but still within a short drive or walk to great restaurants. A more adult atmosphere than what we'll be experiencing in Honolulu would be great. I'd like beautiful grounds, beautiful food, views, inifinity pools, etc. And under $400.00 a night!
Old May 5th, 2012, 05:06 PM

On the N. Shore of Kaua'i, Hanalei Colony Resort is true beachfront http://www.wizardpub.com/kauai/krhanaleicol.html
It has been a while since i stayed there. It is not at all glitzy but is very very nice. The beach is beautiful and great for walking, but not great for swimming. Staying there puts you very close to Tunnels and Ke'e beach, the beginning of Na Pali trail. Limahuli Garden is nearby, part of natl botanical gardens which has native plants, beautiful and educational. It is a short drive to Hanalei.
Old May 5th, 2012, 05:08 PM

You can stay at World Class resorts, or other nice places right on the beach. For some idea - see: http://tinyurl.com/7b8owso

and http://www.hanaleibayresort.net/?gcl...FQOEhwodyye90A
Old May 5th, 2012, 05:10 PM

LOL Aloha: We were posting at the same time about the same thing. We stayed at the Hanalei Colony Resort the 2nd week of our honeymoon (after spending two days on Molokai and 5 days at Kona on the Big Island) and loved it. You can snorkel in front, BBQ looking at the great view, head down to the end of the road at Ke'e beach to watch the Green Flash at sunset, and also snorkel/swim/hike there.

Just incredible.
Old May 5th, 2012, 05:13 PM

I didnt see your post before i posted. HCR is not that upscale, but is quiet...no television in the rooms. On Kaua'i i think you would be looking at the Hyatt or Princeville St Regis, don't know about prices.

As far as adult atmosphere, That is likely to be easier to find in spring or fall than summer, as you no doubt are aware
Old May 5th, 2012, 05:34 PM
Original Poster

thanks Tomsd and aloha. I'll take a look at everything you've offered. I don't need real quiet, just some affordable elegance, I think. I need a television for my husband.

It has to be a summer trip. Another non-negotiable.
Old May 5th, 2012, 05:45 PM

Check out timeshare place at Princeville - the Cliffs Club and then ask what deals they have. Quiet with veautiful views of the Pacific (if you the right room) - and Bali Hai (ditto for the room) and nice TV's, etc. http://www.cliffsatprinceville.com/
Old May 5th, 2012, 05:49 PM
Original Poster

I'm not interested in staying in a condo this time.
Old May 5th, 2012, 05:52 PM

The HCR and Cliffs Club are nice but not upscale, and as its name attests, the Cliffs Club is not beachfront. Check the Hyatt Kauai or Maui, or the Koa Kea in Poipu for upscale. The first two are mega-resorts (but not at all like HHV), the latter is small, beachfront, upscale, lovely (and with a highly-regarded restaurant)
Old May 5th, 2012, 06:08 PM

Kaui is our favorite isand. The Hyatt on Kauai has awesome grounds, pools, etc. We prefer the Poipu Beach area of Kauai, although some prefer the more lush north side.

We also like Maui, but it is definitely more crowded than Kauai. And it depends on whether you are going with kids or not as to where I would recommend you stay. We like the Kaanapali area.

Do you like water activities? If you are looking for nightlife, Mau would be better for you than Kauai.
Old May 5th, 2012, 06:52 PM
Original Poster

Thank-you, sf and bazinga. I'll take a look. Is there a preferred side to either island in the summer months as far as weather is concerned?

No kids nor grandkids on this trip.
Old May 5th, 2012, 07:09 PM
Original Poster

We don't seek a lot of nightlife. We dine late and have a nightcap somewhere, with or without music, when we're traveling.

(our surfing 'window' has passed. what other water activities, other than swimming and kayaking, are available?)

I just bought 'Hawaii for Dummies' so I'll take a look at that tonight.

Again, 'Thanks' everyone.
Old May 5th, 2012, 07:18 PM

If you go to Maui and want upscale and quiet my vote is for Wailea. We were in Maui in November and split our stay between the Makena Beach Resort in the Makena Wailea area and the Honua Kai resort (condo.) Wailea is pretty quiet and not much nightlife so if you are looking for that its not the place. The Makena was offering a great deal when we went because the property was being rehabed after a bankruptcy. It was not a super luxury property but the was something about the location that I loved.
Old May 5th, 2012, 07:35 PM

I personally prefer Kauai because it is beautiful & more tropical and reminds me of what Hawaii was like 50-100 years ago. I like Maui, but I find it too Mainland for my tastes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -