Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Two nights in Munich - can you recommend a small inn, or guesthaus?

Old Apr 29th, 2012, 08:52 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We'll be arriving in Munich around 8:00 am on Friday, Sept. 14th (two couples) and we would like to stay in a small inn, guesthaus or bed and breakfast for two nights, hopefully near the main train station. Any recommendations? We plan to spend the first day in central Munich, and tour the BMW factory at 4:00. I think it's near the Olympic Stadium? The next day we will go to Dachau and other sites in Munich, then leave early Sunday morning for Fussen. Does anyone know of any brewery guesthauses in Munich or Fussen? Thanks for your help.
Old Apr 29th, 2012, 09:24 AM

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Last summer we stayed at Hotel Pension Am Siegestor http://www.siegestor.com/. Great location in the university district , just steps from a U-Bahn station (and a few short stops from the city centre) and within walking distance of the Englischer Garten. We walked to the central downtown easily and to all the sites within Munich that we wanted to c. We took the U-Bahn from the train station upon arrival, just a couple stops as I recall. Very reasonably priced pension.
Old Apr 29th, 2012, 09:26 AM

Hotel Laimer Hof. While not in the city center or close to the train station, it has many other advantages--price, quality, service, ease of transportation and access to many sights on the perimeter of Munich. The largest outdoor beer garden is nearby and the Nymphenburg Palace are a short walk. A very upscale neighborhood which is quite safe. www.laimerhof.de.
Old Apr 29th, 2012, 10:09 AM

Munich is not quite the "B&B/brewery guesthouse/small inn" kind of place you appear to think it might be. I am not saying there isn't anything of the sort around, just not many and certainly not in direct proximity of the Hauptbahnhof.
Old Apr 29th, 2012, 11:14 AM

we stayed at this charming inn near the English Garden several years ago, it is Schwabing a great district for restaurants and shopping and near the transit//the room we had was on the main floor and overlooked the gardens.

www.hotelenglischergarten.de/
Old Apr 29th, 2012, 11:16 AM

I forgot to add they have an annex of rooms in what was once an apartment complex...don't stay there if the main house is booked...nothing wrong with it just no charm..more suited to folks who want to stay longer and need kitchen facilities
Old Apr 29th, 2012, 12:26 PM

While it is not a B&B, Hotelissimo Haberstock is within feet of the main train station. 3 star, wonderful breakfast, and everyone speaks Engilsh. I have stayed there dozens of times. I do not have the site address with me. I am currently in Santa Margherita Ligure.
Old Apr 29th, 2012, 12:56 PM

I agree, Munich is a big city so you will find a lot more hotels or even hostels than gasthauses unless you are on the outskirts of town. Fortunately there are tons of hotels of all price classes near the train station. Unfortunately you are talking about going right on the cusp of the Oktoberfest when hotels are full and they jack up their prices. Make reservnations early and check the dates of your trip against the dates of the Oktoberfest (which actually happens in September).
Old Apr 29th, 2012, 03:07 PM

For a two day stay I would not recommend staying at the Englischergarten Hotel. It is quite tricky walking there the first time (from the train.)IMHO I think your idea of staying close to the hauptbahnhof is a better plan. Don't know anything about the Haberstock but would check it out. Have a great time. I love Munich and it is so convenient to stay right in the thick of things. My choice is the Hotel Schlicker - a few steps from Marienplatz and the Victualienmarkt.
Old Apr 29th, 2012, 05:41 PM

O'fest starts Sept 22 this year.