Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Inle Lake hotel recommendations and Phaung Daw Oo Pagoda festival.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18th, 2012, 12:59 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi again!

Our travel agent has recommended that we stay at Inle Resort for that part of the trip. We are planning to be in Inle for the Phaung Daw Oo Pagoda Festival in October and he feels we should book this as soon as possible.

Does anyone have any feedback on this hotel (Inle Resort) and if it's a good place to stay? I've checked reviews but as usual they are slightly cryptic..."souless" being one of the adjectives used. But in some cases being soul less is preferable when the alternatives are worse!

In case there are recommendations for other hotels, his list is:

Yangon : Panorama Hotel
Nay Pyi Taw : Aureum Resort
Bagan : Thazin Garden Hotel
Monywa : Win Unity Resort
Mandalay : Ayeyarwaddy River View Hotel
Kalaw : Dream Villa
Inle ( in the lake ) : Inle Resort ( Deluxe Villa )
Inle ( Nyaung Shwe ) : Manaw Thukha Hotel
Taungoo : Royal Kaytumadi Hotel
Golden Rock : Mountain Top Hotel

Thanks for any insights or comments!
Old Apr 18th, 2012, 05:44 AM

We loved the Inle Lake View. I don't know, it may be above your budget. It's a wonderful place, wonderful staff, great food, and the owner is investing in local economic development. Even though October is low season, with the festival, I expect places will fill up.

I was going to mention that the Aureum is owned by Tay Zaw, but of course everything in Nay Pyi Taw is owned by either Tay Zaw or one of the generals!

Do you have a copy of the Lonely Planet? I think that is a good resource for info on hotels, especially those in small places like Monywa.

Have a wonderful trip!
Old Apr 18th, 2012, 06:57 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Kathie: I had read the thread about Lake View, and wanted to put that as one of my choices, but the price is a little above my budget alas.

Any other thoughts on hotels that are below $100 a night would be great!
Old Apr 18th, 2012, 08:01 PM

I haven't yet been to Burma (we'll be there from 11/24--12/17) but our first choice, the Inle Lake Princess was completely booked for the dates we need so we've been wait listed. In the interim (and maybe for good), we've booked at the Princess Garden "hotel" in Nyaung Shwe. Some Fodorites have stayed there and HIGHLY recommended it and it gets outstanding reviews on Trip Adviser. The rates haven't been established for next fall, but should be out any day. (Last year's was $36 per night!) Your travel agent may not have said anything about it as one has to pay them directly as they're no longer accepting payment through travel agents, but are still accepting reservations through them. Not sure yet how this is going to be transacted as I'm still waiting for Santa Maria (our travel agency) to clarify and to tell us the new rate.
Old Apr 19th, 2012, 12:10 PM

Thazin Garden Hotel is very, very nice. The rooms are huge and nicely decorated. The pool area is also nice. The whole complex is very green. The hotel is in New Bagan which means it is a bit far from the main temples and from restaurants. But the room service is good and you can have your dinner at your own terrace.

Mountain Top Hotel is your only option if you want to overnight close to the Golden Rock (which I highly recommend if you would like to really feel the place). The hotel is very conveniently located, it's very basic but clean.
Old Apr 19th, 2012, 12:46 PM

Loved the Princess Garden Hotel - owner, staff, cottages, location - highly recommended!
Old Apr 21st, 2012, 06:46 AM

I second the Princess Garden. It was the nicest place we stayed and the owner was fantastic. Very small hotel but he treats you as though you are in a 5 star.