Going Round France

Old Apr 17th, 2012, 07:04 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Going Round France

Hi everyone
I will be visiting France for 2 weeks. I am starting my journey with 3 days in Paris...after which i am proceeding to avignon ( 1 night ) .....to provence ( 2 nights ) ...nice ( 3 nights ) ...Lyon ( 1 night ) ...back to Paris ( 3 nights) . I am not sure if I should buy the rail pass or point to point ticket. We are a group of 3 ...2 senior citzens ad 1 in our fifties. WOuld a point to point ticket be cheaper or a rail pass . If it is a railpass.. how many days willvbe appropriate. From Paris...Iwould like to do day trips to the loire valey and perhaps Normandy. Can anyone helped and advise me on te route and the train tickets? For reservation , how much more do I hav pay?
Old Apr 17th, 2012, 07:15 PM

Where in the Provence? What do you plan to do in Avignon, which is in the Provence? The trip outside Paris sounds rushed.
Old Apr 17th, 2012, 07:27 PM

What time of the year is your trip? Have you been to France before? You are planning to move around so much that checking in, unpacking, repacking, getting your bearings and traveling to the next destination will take up alot more time than necessary. I would slow down, see fewer places for longer for a more enjoyable trip. Just my opinion...

Consider rethinking 1 night in Avignon and 2 nights in Provence. That stay can all be combined if you decide on such a short stop in that region.

I took the TGV to Avignon and stayed there without a car for three nights with day trips via bus to Isle sur la Sorgue and Arles. Then I rented a car at the train station at Avignon and moved to St. Remy for four nights which was a great base for exploring the small towns of Provence and Les Baux. The hotel had a car park that was easy and navigating Provence is simple.

I would not consider Normandy for less than an overnight and 3 days would be even better. Again, tons to do in the area.
Ann Marie
Old Apr 17th, 2012, 07:39 PM

Received 12 Likes on 1 Post
Is there a reason that you are planning 3 days in Paris at the beginning of your trip and another 3 days at the end?

Combining them either into the beginning or end of the trip will save time.... packing, moving, etc.

Consider going to Provence directly upon your arrival?
Old Apr 17th, 2012, 07:41 PM

Received 12 Likes on 1 Post
If your flights are into and out of CDG... maybe you want to consider open jaw flights into Nice and out of CDG or vice versa. On most booking sites, this is referred to as multi-city bookings

I think you'd have a better choice of using your time.
Old Apr 17th, 2012, 08:21 PM

Avigon and Nice are in Provence.

You are moving around way more than you need to. Go directly to Avignon upon arrival at CDG, then group all your Paris days together at the end. It's always a good idea to head to your farthest point first and work your way back (or to an open-jaw ticket and fly into one city and out of another).

I doubt a rail pass would do you any good, but you just need to compare the prices against point-to-point tickets. If you buy PREM fares on the SNCF website you can get great discounts.

One night in Avignon is kind of a waste of time, as is one night in LYon, considering the time it will take you to get there, get settled, and figure out how to get around. You're doing an awful lot of moving and packing and unpacking.

I'd fly into Paris and take the TGV directly to Lyon for two days. Then take the TGV to Avignon. Base yourself there for 3-4 days, then move on to Nice for 3 days. Then either fly or take the TGV back to Paris for the remainder of the trip.

You don't have time for the Loire Valley or Normandy. You might have time for a quick daytrip out of Paris to Versailles or Chartres, for example.
Old Apr 17th, 2012, 09:18 PM
Original Poster

I agree it is bad planning on my part. I have never been to France before. When I first planned for 3 separate days was because of my long flight in from Singapore. I give myself 3 days to rest before going down to the south. I put three days at the end for shopping so that I d not need to lug my buys with e fo the other part of the trip. I am not sure if I can change my hotel to put the 6 days together.
Old Apr 17th, 2012, 09:32 PM
Original Poster

Do you think this will work out better...paris ...3 days ....provence 3 days ...nice 3 days..... and back to paris for the rest of the trip? ( Assuming that I cannot change the booking of the hotel )
Old Apr 17th, 2012, 09:33 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for all responses... I am grateful!
Old Apr 18th, 2012, 12:50 AM
Original Poster

Does anyone have hotels to recommend for provence and nice. We are triple sharing.
Old Apr 18th, 2012, 02:44 AM

FYI, Provence is a region, not a city, town or village.

Where in Provence would you like to stay?.....Avignon? Aix-en-Provence? Arles? Marseilles?
Old Apr 18th, 2012, 04:09 AM

Everything St.Cirq said. Otherwise you will waste much time and money, and be worn out. No day trips from Paris. Leave Paris for the end of your trip, even if you have to pay a penalty to the hotel.
Old Apr 18th, 2012, 05:16 AM

Maybe you won't have to pay a penalty at the hotel if you stay at the same hotel but only change your dates. Unless you booked with Hotwire. I don't think they will let you change your dates. It all depends on who you booked the hotel with.