Turkey and Greece Itinerary

Old Apr 17th, 2012, 06:04 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Turkey and Greece Itinerary

I know, I know, you need a month in each country to them justice, but I’ve only got a couple of weeks. I’m a woman travelling alone during the last 2 weeks of September and most interested in seeing the Historical/Archeological sights, would be grateful for any suggestions on the itinerary laid out below. Day 1 – Arr – Athens connect to Heraklion
Day 2 – Knossos
Day 3 – Day in Heraklion
Day 4 – Early AM flight to Athens; - Day in Athens
Day 5 – Athens
Day 6 – Tour to Delphi
Day 7 – Fly to Istanbul
Day 8 – Istanbul
Day 9 – Istanbul
Day 10 – Day trip to Izmir – Ephesus Tour (package tour with one of the tour operators)
Day 11 – Istanbul – Late evening flight to Kayseri – Staying in Goreme
Day 12 – Cappadocia –
Day 13 – Cappadocia – Evening flight back to Istanbul
Day 14 – Istanbul – Bosphorus Cruise
Day 15 – Dep Istanbul
Greece Questions
Do I have enough time in Athens? Should I forgo the trip to Crete and concentrate on Athens? Should I skip Delphi?

Turkey Questions
I am planning to include a Hot Air Balloon tour in Cappadocia on my 2nd day there. Which tour(s) would you recommend in Cappadocia? Would you suggest adding another night in Goreme and one less in Istanbul?
Any other general comments and suggestions are more than welcomed. Thanks
Old Apr 17th, 2012, 07:45 PM

I'm going to Greece and Turkey in May/June. Never been before so have no first-hand knowledge. However, did do lots of research and posting for a similar trip - I can tell you right off the bat that 95% or more people will tell you that Crete is too far and too big for 2 days
Old Apr 17th, 2012, 09:40 PM

as not enuf vaca has predicted....
The time that you have alloted for Crete won't allow you to see anything from the island....
You have chosen to fly to Crete just to see Knossos?
I won't mention anything about how interesting Knossos is, as an archaeological site and how it was restored by Sir Evans...
You will also spend a whole day in Heraklion, which is the less attractive city of Crete.....

You could use the 3 days instead to explore the Mainland, go to the Argolis to see Nafplio, Tiryns, Mycenae and Epidavros,
or book an organized classical tour if you don't wish to rent a car.
Old Apr 18th, 2012, 04:50 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the comments and suggestions. I will definitely consider. Looking forward to any additional comments
Old Apr 19th, 2012, 01:48 AM

Comments apply on the Greek part of your trip.
I think I replied on this on an other forum and I agree with previous posters that this is far too much traveling vs on the spot time...
Anyway, if you still want to keep all those destinations on, I would bit the bullet and suggest to connect from Crete to Athens and then straight to Delphi on the same day. I would connect from airport straight to bus station, go to Delphi and depending on time of arrival, try to visit at least lower site that day. Overnight in Delphi so you can enjoy the landscape without the crowds, then have an early start next morning to museum and upper site, and bit tour groups for part of the visit: ) You can then make it to the 13.30 bus and be in Athens before 17.00. Then enjoy your very limited time on Athens without splitting it and without trying to make it back from Delphi last minute for your flight to Istanbul.

I still urge you to reconsider and drop Crete for this trip, maybe even Delphi. Personally I would go for Athens with a half day trip to Sounion if getting out of city is so important...