Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Canada
Reload this Page >

Traveling to Montreal from Baltimore by car.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11th, 2012, 12:05 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are planning a 7-10 day car trip from Baltimore to Montreal. My husband and I will be traveling with three teenagers. The girls like to shop and sight-see the boy likes to eat and be active. Any thoughts about must see places? Any water sports near there we could try? We are all experienced travelers and are fine with long car rides.
Old Apr 13th, 2012, 05:20 AM

Hi planetmom, I answered you briefly on the US forum. Your question here is a little confusing. Are you looking for en-route tips or Montreal tips?
Old Apr 13th, 2012, 07:14 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for your reply. Montreal suggestions please
Old Apr 13th, 2012, 01:16 PM

I absolutely love the Biodome. Three unique ecosystems under one roof. You can spend a good long while trying to spot the sloths in the tropical forest and feel like you have been transported to Costa Rica.
Old Apr 14th, 2012, 03:46 AM

I prefer the Biosphere (environmental museum built in the old Buckminster Fuller geodesic dome from Expo '67) to the Biodome. It is in the Parc Jean-Drapeau on Île Sainte-Hélène. Great views of the harbor and city from the top.

I also recommend the Pointe-à-Callière Museum of Archeology and History and the Chateau Ramezay in the old port area. The latter has a nice small garden to explore even if you don't go inside. The McCord Museum of Canadian History downtown near McGill University is another good choice. It has a good exhibit on Inuit art running through the summer.

The science museum is really for younger kids and I would skip it with teen agers.

In good weather Mount Royal is a good area to explore. There are tam tam (drum) concerts on Sundays in summer

There are also roller blade and bicycle rentals in the old port area

Montreal has many festivals so check for what is going on when you will be there.

Montreal is a great city for eating. What kind of food are you interested in? One area with a lot of good restaurants is the Plateau, especially Avenue Duluth
Old Apr 14th, 2012, 04:08 AM

Here is a list of good inexpensive restaurants in Montreal from last year
http://www.fodors.com/community/cana...n-montreal.cfm

The OP on that thread specified he didn't like Indian food so I didn't mention Le taj, a downtown restaurant which has a good mid-day buffet and more expensive but not unreasonable meals at dinner.
Old Apr 14th, 2012, 10:14 AM

Some more Montreal ideas:
-Notre Dame basilica
-Redpath Museum on MaGill campus
-boat ride at the old port
-bicycling (Montreal is cris crossed with miles of safe trails)
-Botanical gardens - second biggest in the world
-Stroll thru Sq. St Louis
and watch the street entertainers on Price Arthur St.
-Jean Talon market - blocks and blocks of food stands, cheeses, etc - lots of free samples
-Atwater market - similar to Jean Talon but smaller
-jetboat the Lachine rapids
-Stroll up St. Denis to Duluth and pick out a byob restaurant
for dinner
Old Apr 19th, 2012, 06:44 AM

If you are looking for a couple of diversions on your way there is lunch at the Culinary Institute http://www.ciachef.edu/ The view of the Hudson River is worth it. A little further up the road is the Roosevelt Home http://www.nps.gov/hofr/index.htm .

Hop back on the highway and head up to Saratoga if you like horse racing, good food, shopping, etc. Or for the history buffs, another good stop is Fort Ticonderoga http://www.fortticonderoga.org/

Take a scenic ride across the Shorham/Fort Ticonderoga ferry http://www.forttiferry.com/ for something different. From there you can hop back on the highway and head north to your destination, Montreal.

Have a great trip!