Search

Venice to ?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16th, 2012, 05:36 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Venice to ?

Hi please help!! coming in to Venice from our cruise and looking for another place to visit in our way to France(from where our flight back to the states ) departs after 2 days, was hoping Switzerland (zermatt) but don't think we have enough time, any suggestions?? We have a planned visit to london before the cruise and the 14 days cruise takes care of toulon,florence,rome,mykonos,istanbul. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
Old Mar 16th, 2012, 05:46 PM

Do I understand that you have two days after your cruise to get to France for your flight home?

Why not go straight to France? Is your flight leaving from Paris to the US? You could fly direct from Venice to Paris and stay there until the flight home. It really isn't much time to go any other place.
Old Mar 16th, 2012, 06:19 PM

I can't even begin to make sense of your itinerary.Please rewrite in Plain English and say where you are coming from and where you are going. Your post is absolute gibberish.
Old Mar 16th, 2012, 06:35 PM

StCirq,

Not total gibberish, just mostly gibberish. Even if one could fly direct to Istanbul, it would be a 3+ hour flight one way. Reminds me of Groucho Marx. "Hello, I must be going".
Old Mar 16th, 2012, 06:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Barb isn't going to Istanbul!

Where are you getting that from?

She states that her cruise takes her to Istanbul along with other places.

The thing that I don't understand is if Barb thinks she doesn't have time for Zermatt, which is a small city, what makes her think she has time to see any other place with a 2-day window.

I was going to suggest Lyon, but if Barb can't make it through Zermatt in two days, she will be lost in Lyon.

Thankfully, I have an ESL certificate so can understand gibberish.

Good night, Melen.

Tschuss,
Pepper
Old Mar 16th, 2012, 07:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sorry, that first line should read >Barb doesn't want to go to Istanbul after Venice because she is already visting the city on her cruise<

Pepper
Old Mar 16th, 2012, 07:23 PM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
Explore Venice! Why rush away from such an incredible place? I've only been there twice but last time spent twoweeks anddid'nt do everything we'd planned.
Old Mar 16th, 2012, 11:00 PM

sr(s) snoot,

I'll stick with mostly gibberish.
Old Mar 17th, 2012, 01:06 AM

I wonder if my post will get reported to Fodor's monitors as "abuse" if I now point out that St Cirq's near-drunken remarks are not only rude, but the gleeful BFF collective sneering at Barbara Barquin for posting a perfectly understandable travel question is really what makes Fodor's such a pit.

Obviously the Barbara feels that after an extensive cruise that takes in many sights and cities and ends in Venice, it would be fun to see a little bit more of Europe before she departs for home from Paris. She has never been to Zermatt (neither have I), and would like to go, but is under the impression that zipping in and out won't do justice to the locale.

She is asking if there is some other place with easy transportation connections between Venice and Paris that would be amenable to a very quick stop and that would give her good glimpse of more of the variety of Europe.

Is that spelled out enough for the Fodor's regulars?

it is an ordinary, everyday travel question. Even if you lack the imagination to understand how millions of other people travel, can't you even manage to be polite in confessing your confusion and complete lack of imagination when you decide to post in a thread?

If you have been to Zermatt and think it might indeed be a easy and enjoyable stop, can't you say so?

What is wrong with you people?

And what is wrong with the other people who never speak up against this and instead go out of their way to get deleted the posts that do call attention to this constant sour rudeness from the same 5 or 6 posters on the Europe board?
Old Mar 17th, 2012, 01:15 AM

HIGHLY recommend Verona. It's a wonderful city with much more to it than Romeo and Juliet. I've visited Italy a number of times, but have been back to Verona twice as I loved it so much! Rent a car if possible and drive around the Veneto... the area is sublime, they make great wines like Amarone and Soave, and you can stop and the beautiful villas where they make the wine for a tasting. Some of them were designed by an amazing architect named Palladio. That's my vote!

As an aside, have been to Zermatt and it's not particularly convenient to access from Venice. If anything you could visit it from Milan (by bus to Cervinia and ski across) or from Geneva. Personally, I would recommend staying on the Italy side and saving money. The cost of anything in Cervinia is about 1/3 that of Zermatt, the food is better, the people are nicer, and going to the Switzerland side couldn't be easier if you want to ski over there for the day.
Old Mar 17th, 2012, 05:29 AM

I don't see any "gibberish" in the OP post. But I do see lots of condescension from the rude poster (not the first time I've seen this kind of behavior from this poster).
Barbara, please ignore those remarks, some people like to feel superior and come across as total bores.

If you have not been to Venice before I suggest you spend the extra time there. I doubt you'll regret that.
Old Mar 17th, 2012, 06:19 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi Barbara,

moving swiftly over all the above, [and in this case, St. cirq, I think that you have been a bit harsh on the OP] your problem is that you only have 2 nights to get from Venice to wherever your flight departs in France. ? Paris?

much therefore as i would like to suggest that you spend time in Zermatt, Verona, or any other of the amazing places between Venice and France, in reality you only have time to do one of the following`;

Plan A - fly straight out of Venice to your departure point and spend 2 nights there.

Plan B - spend a night in venice [my preference, even though i normally dislike one night stands] and then fly to your destination point and spend your last night there.

if you have never been to Venice before, it surely deserves one night. but you cannot risk staying 2 nights as you need to be within easy reach of your departure airport the night before you leave.
Old Mar 17th, 2012, 09:34 AM

Completely agree about the snootiness and pettiness of some of the posters here. I frequent Fodors for the wealth of information available here. But threads like this do leave a bad taste in my mouth.

I have only 3 words for this level of snobbery. "Get Over Yourself".
Old Mar 17th, 2012, 11:16 AM

If you don't want to spend time in venice, take a train to Florence. It is a short flight out of Florence too paris. I too, get excited about my trips and want to see everything . But near the end of my fifteen days I am ready to go home. Whatever you decide, have a wonderful trip.
Old Mar 17th, 2012, 11:27 AM

I like the suggestions of anhig. I got the impression that you didn't want to go to Venice for some reason.
Old Mar 17th, 2012, 12:42 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Yes, Zermatt would really not work based on your timing.

If you did not want to experience Venice, or have been there before or your trip already has you there for a couple of days, I agree with spiceolife on Verona. I see from another post that you will be traveling with your husband and a 15 and 12 year old.

They probably both read Romeo & Juliet or saw a play or a movie, and it's a place that is absolutely enchanting for kids of that age.

From there, you could either go back to Venice for a flight to Paris, or catch a train to Milan, then up to Paris for the flight home.
Old Mar 19th, 2012, 07:30 PM
Original Poster

Hi Friends
Once again am pleasantly surprised with human nature, after a few hiccups, I find the reason why I keep posting on this site, yes people will judge and make sly remarks and miss( in my opinion) the reason for this site, to help each other out by sharing your past experiences and give a hand to someone that might not be so worldly traveled, but then you have amazing human beings that take the time to give advices, come out with great ideas and help this girl out.
I wanted to travel to Zermatt only because it seem quite close to Venice(a city in which we get to be in for two days from the cruise) and did not want to miss the opportunity to visit one more place just before getting back to the states from Orly paris. I received an email from a very friendly Rail Europe employee(Jeffrey) which explained all the possible ways to make to Zermatt, but we simply don't have that kind of time. I do believe I will follow up on spiceoflife and Surfergirl advice and give Verona a try. Thank you Very Much for all your great suggestions and pretty sure I will be back with more questions, My cruise does not leave until June, so there is a lot of planing between now and then ( Excursions suggestions anyone ???)