Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page >

Trip Insurance for Africa Trip

Search

Trip Insurance for Africa Trip

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10th, 2012, 11:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tom - YES. The first time I heard this tip I had the same concerns you did so I called the travel insurance company we use all the time and was told that was exactly the way it would work. Since then I've tried to pass this tip along and sure enough everyone I have told to date checked with their travel insurance company and has been told the same thing.
Old Feb 10th, 2012, 11:20 AM

thanks P&H, very good useful info.
Although I'm still not one to buy insurance except for the possible mega expenses (medical).

regards - tom
Old Feb 10th, 2012, 05:28 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone, this was very helpful and informative. We did end up with a "cancel for any reason" policy as my husband's parents are not too well. If something happened to my FIL we most likely would have to cancel or return early as my MIL would not be able to care for herself. I ended up calling insuremytrip.com and the agent there was very helpful and found a policy to cover our needs. Although I have never thought trip insurance was important before, this will give me peace of mind.
Old Feb 17th, 2014, 05:28 AM

An annual multi trip insurance policy will cover you for all trips during the year. A single trip travel insurance policy will need to be renewed every time you go on holiday and provide cover for up to 31 days. If you plan to make two or more trips during the year you could save money by taking out an annual policy.
Old Jun 29th, 2016, 06:13 PM

Many credit card companies (Chase Sapphire is one I use) offer trip cancellation/interuption protection similair to travel insurance companies at no cost as long as the expense was charged on the card. There exclusions are fairly consistent with regular travel insurance policies.
Old Jul 3rd, 2016, 11:50 AM

Re Flying Doctors, do verify with your tour operator if they haven't already included in their cost to you. Many do as AMREF offers tour operators a discounted rate vs what you'd pay if purchasing yourself. Granted the price is low, but if you can save at least half the amount, why not?