Emergency travel insurance

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 24th, 2011, 12:55 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any advises on the emergency (health) travel insurance from Canada to Europe (London)?
To buy or not to buy
providers
possible cost

Thank you in advance everybody!
Old Nov 24th, 2011, 01:11 PM

For the past several years and European trips I have always used Access America (www.accesssamerica.com) and have been very satisfied. I had need to use their services after an accident in Berlin and they re-imbursed me according to their policy. I buy the insurance usually from the (US) Automobile club AAA. I particularly value the Existing Medical Conditions Coverage, if I buy the insurance within 14 days after the first trip payment.
Old Nov 24th, 2011, 01:13 PM

There is no reciprocal health agreement between Canada and the UK, so if you need care when you're here, you'd have to pay - unless you get insurance. Likewise, it's always useful to have the kind of insurance that will cover medical repatriation in extreme cases. Does your credit card company offer it? Some credit card companies and banks will offer it as part of the overall service, but you'd need to check what exactly it covers.
Old Nov 28th, 2011, 01:33 AM

While you won't be turned away if you have an emergency and no insurance, they should send you a bill afterwards (although they might forget). Even so, I think one of the most important parts of health insurance is the other side that people don't think about - the additional costs incurred, maybe an air ambulance home, that sort of thing.A cousin of mine came to visit the UK from Australia with his sister - he had a heart attack and it was 6 weeks before he could fly home. Their insurance covered the sister's extra accommodation/their change of flights etc.
Old Nov 28th, 2011, 02:04 AM

insuremytrip.com

quotewright.com

2 best comp sites for me...

Trip insurance ALWAYS wise cheap Amex Global Travel Shield

AM Best Rated from $2 pppd best for me covers most everything.
Old Apr 18th, 2012, 01:09 PM

If you're a Canadian, check out www.Kanetix.ca. Easy to use comparison site.

www.travelinsurancereview.ca has some helpful reviews of Canadian travel insurance providers that might be worth a look.
Old Apr 18th, 2012, 01:43 PM

<i>To buy or not to buy</i>

Depends on your attitude to risk, are you willing to cover what could be £10s of thousands of costs - YES even in the UK - for not spending less than you'd pay for a meal?

It'll cover things like additional hotel costs for your party, rearranging flights home, having members of your family fly out to see you, costs of flights when someone at home dies or is injured, cancellation costs, special needs on flights or whilst recovering. It'll even cover you for travelling home as cargo.
Old Apr 18th, 2012, 04:13 PM

Even if you think you might want to wing it, don't. I have had both parents get critically ill on separate vacations, and subsequently die. One had great insurance, everything was dealt with from A to Z. The other one? I am still waiting for the other shoe to drop as I have been notified by the insurance company that he may have filled out the forms incorrectly and invalidated coverage.

The insurance is for those you leave at home as much as for yourself. So your kids don't worry, and won't have to pay themselves if they need to fly over if something happens. It is part of the cost of a vacation.
Old Apr 20th, 2012, 08:52 AM

Just read this for info for self/husband travelling to UK from US in the fall. Lots of good info to check out; things I'd not thought of yet.
Old Apr 20th, 2012, 08:57 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
The OPs question is 5 months old (and their trip was in Dec)
Old Apr 22nd, 2012, 08:08 AM

I know old threads come under fire on many boards, but sometimes they serve as reminders to new folks! This one was very helpful to us.
Old May 19th, 2012, 02:41 PM

Some of you have mentioned that you are glad you or your relatives had travel insurance with the unfortunate experience with needs, but I wished you would say which one, there are so many on the market! I am shopping for one, mainly for medical emergency and rapatriation. THANK YOU
Old May 20th, 2012, 09:15 AM

http://www.travelguard.com/

They assist with obtaining medical treatment and arranging emergency transportation/repatriation. They're open 24/7, too.

I also agree that insuremytrip.com is a good insurance comparison site.