Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Air fare London to Paris last minute in London or in advance now?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 5th, 2011, 06:38 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will be in need of a round trip airlines ticket from London to Paris this coming February. When I price it here and now, the price is very, very low but with huge taxes making the total almost $200. Many people seem to think that if I bought the ticket in London for Paris it would be much less. Does anyone know if the taxes for the flight are different? My daughter can purchase it a month in advance online maybe? Any suggestions?
Ken
Old Nov 5th, 2011, 06:51 AM

I suggest, rather than fly, that you take the Eurostar which is more convenient, delivers you to the city centers and may, considering travel time to and wait time at airports, be faster. If you buy your ticket in advance it may also be cheaper. I just checked advance prices for February and it was £69, about $110 RT.
http://www.eurostar.com
Old Nov 5th, 2011, 07:13 AM

Once you take departure taxes and all the other odds and ends into account, the train will almost certainly be cheaper than flying - especially if you factor in the hassle and hooha of getting to and from airports. If you're travelling city centre to city centre, rather than changing flights in London, I can't see any reason to fly.

For both flying and Eurostar, it will pay you to book in advance: keep watching the fares and availability, as the nearer you leave it to your departure, the more likely it is that the cheaper fares will either disappear or only be available at silly o'clock times.
Old Nov 5th, 2011, 07:17 AM

The fee and taxes will be the same no matter where you buy the ticket. The price of the ticket will almost certainly go up the nearer to your departure date.
As others have suggested consider the train instead - the same applies to that too - the closer to departure the higher the ticket generally speaking.
Old Nov 5th, 2011, 07:29 AM

The people telling you that if you but the ticket in London it will be "much less" are completely out of touch. Is there supposed to be some special back alley shop you have to go to and say a secret password?

What you see online is the price. It can vary between providers, and it can move up or down prior to February, but if left too late the price will be higher just before departure. The taxes will not change so the amount of money you can save from now is based on the "fare" portion. If it's $50 for the fare and $150 for the taxes, do you want to risk the fare going to $150 ($300 total) versus the chance it drops to, maybe $40 ($190 total)?

Booked far enough in advance, the train is likely going to be cheaper, especially when you consider the cost of getting back and forth from the airports.
Old Nov 5th, 2011, 07:46 AM

>>Booked far enough in advance, the train is likely going to be cheaper, especially when you consider the cost of getting back and forth from the airports.<<

And faster. I would always choose the Eurostar over flying London-Paris, it's a much more relaxing, convenient experience.
Old Nov 5th, 2011, 08:10 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Do actually have to get from London to Paris (city center to city center)? If so the train is a total no brainer. Faster, cheaper, more comfortable, less complicated.
Old Nov 5th, 2011, 06:40 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much fellow Fodorites! It is really a no-brainer between cheaper, faster, center to center and other factors I will purchase the Eurostar tickets before the price goes up. Thanks again.
Ken