disaster Relief for Cinque Terre

Old Nov 3rd, 2011, 08:04 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
disaster Relief for Cinque Terre

This was just posted to Italian Notebook, a frequent blog I receive. If you are concerned about the Cinque Terre floods, read this. (For those of you planning a trip, note the railroad is running again.)

http://www.italiannotebook.com/local...saster-relief/
Old Nov 3rd, 2011, 08:57 AM

I hope people will contribute money and visit Monterosso al Mare and Vernazza when they are able to receive visitors again. Right now, however, trains do not let passengers get off the train in either town. You can get off the train in Corneglia, Manarola and Riomaggiore.

Also, anyone planning to go to the region must continue to monitor the train and safety issues continuously -- especially in the coming 5 days -- but also until this rainy season is finally over, which will not be until May, and possibly June.

Right now, train service in that area is subject to sudden cancellations. Some areas around the hiking trails face continuing risks of serious mudslides.

People who monitor the weather and consult with locals can safely visit the area when it is not raining.

Tourism is very welcome in the area, but I will underscore that money is really urgently needed to supply workers who are digging out the mud with gloves, boots, shovels, water and all manner of basic work supplies. So if you can contribute money, please do.
Old Nov 5th, 2011, 05:05 AM

Actually tourism WILL be welcome again, but right now, please do not try to visit. Both Monterosso and Vernazza are currently "off limits". In fact, Vernazza was completely evacuated for the weekend and the old town residents of Monterosso have been relocated to Fegina, the new part of town where the train station is. Trails are closed indefinitely which probably will mean all winter and rightfully so. The goal is to have both villages up and running by the spring, so do not hesitate to make your travel plans for then!

Megan in Lerici, Liguria
http://bellavitaitalia.blogspot.com
Old Nov 5th, 2011, 05:21 AM

If Disneyland floods should we send disaster relief? I feel sorry for what has happened but there are IMO are lot more worthwhile causes to contribute to - like Somalia, Thailand, Ehtiopia, etc.
Old Nov 5th, 2011, 05:49 AM

"If Disneyland floods should we send disaster relief?"

PalenQ, I am not sure what you are trying to communicate here, but as someone who has family and friends who have lost their homes, businesses and unfortunately, in a few cases, lives, I can assure you Le Cinque Terre, Val di Vara, Lunigiana and now Genova, all need monetary assistance in order to dig out of this disaster and to eventually re-build. This is not Disneyland but real people and a real tragedy.

Megan in Lerici, Liguria
http://bellavitaitalia.blogspot.com
Old Nov 5th, 2011, 05:56 AM

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
PalenQ, obviously you have never visited, nor do you have but a cursory knowledge of, Cinque Terre. Either that, or your analogy skills are seriously impaired.