Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Paris in May advice

Search

Paris in May advice

Search this Thread

Old Oct 29th, 2011, 12:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Hotel le Royal is only a few blocks from Gare Montparnasse, where you can get your tickets to Vernon (Giverny) in advance. Looks to me to be 10 minute walk, at the most.
SS
Old Oct 29th, 2011, 01:19 PM

My trip to Paris was in the first week of May. It rained every day but early in the morning, except for one day, so it did not disrupt much. Unfortunately, the day it rained was the only day we could go to Versaille. It rained off and on so we tried to see the inside when it was raining and the grounds when it stopped. However, we were a bit disappointed because there were very few flowers in bloom. It looked like the spring flowers had just stopped and the summer flowers had not started. You may want to go near the end of May. The horse chestnut trees were beautiful.
Old Oct 29th, 2011, 01:20 PM
Original Poster

Great advise, everyone. Thank you so much!
I will be prepared for a bit of rain. When we were there in December 2 years ago, it only rained when we were outside. As soon as we went in to a museum or resturant, it stopped. haha. We still had a wonderful time. I can't wait to see Paris in May.
We will take all of the advise and get our Versailles and Giverny tickets ahead of time. We will be flexible and start trying to get to these 2 locations early on just in case the weather doesn't cooperate with our plans.
Thanks so much!
Old Oct 29th, 2011, 03:24 PM

We went to Giverny in May and had no problems getting tickets right there. No need to order them ahead of time.
Old Oct 29th, 2011, 04:29 PM

If you liked December, you will love May. I have been to Paris six times and the first five were in the fall, mostly in September and October, the first time was November. My sixth trip was for six weeks from the end of March through early May and I had an apartment near the Pigalle Metro. I really liked that time of year, when I arrived the flowers were in the gardens in Paris and it was beautiful when I left in May. Weather was great, of course you will have a rainy day hear and there, but nothing to speak of and like mentioned above be flexable in planning your schedule so you can work around the weather. This time of year has one added benefit compared to December, you have MANY more day light hours.

I have stayed in the 5th, 6th, 9th and 11th. To me the important thing about location is the availablity to the Metro. My last stay was one block north of the Pigalle Metro and was easy to get around the city, and since I was in an apartment it was near some great supermarkets. I guess the best place I stayed for location was in the Latin Quarter at the Hotel Residence Monge because there were two different Metros at both ends of the same block. The hotel has changed hands and is now called Act V, went from a two star to a three, has been redecorated and the price has increased. I was very happy with the location and there were all kinds off restaurants and services available nearby. To me Paris is a special city and I feel you can almost stay anywhere and your will make your own great memories. Paris is a city to discover. So let the explorer in you come out and enjoy.

I have been to Versailles three times, the first time was in November, it was rainy and on a Monday. We did not know the chateau was closed on Monday, hence I returned the next year. Go to the web site and find out all the details, it would also be helpful if all of you spent some time on the web site so you know what you are doing and looking at when you get there, it will make the experience have more meaning. http://en.chateauversailles.fr/homepage http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Palace_of_Versailles You can take the RER to Versailles and is inexpensive and only about a half hour trip. Make sure you get on the correct train, there are two to Versailles, make sure you get on the one to the Chateau. I think on the front of the train to the chateu was a sign with the code, VICK. I really don't feel you need a ticket ahead of time, I would suggest you get there when they open and the lines won't be that long. You might try to head back to Paris sometime early in the afternoon and still have much of the day left to you.

Now for Giverny. I am sure there are going to be those who do not share my opinion, but here are my thoughts. I took a tour bus from Paris, tour near rue de Rivoli, the ride was about an hour and a half or so and the same on return. There was almost no leg room in the seats on the bus and my knees were in my face most of the trip. The gardens there were many flowers much like you would plant your radishes, carrots, and onions in your garden back home. Monet planted the flowers this way for reference and to observe the color difference in different lighting situations. The gardent at the Luxembourg Garden, Tuileries Garden and Jardin des Plantes are much more attractive in my opinion. Across the street is the water garden and I did like it, but it a long way to go to see it. http://giverny.org/gardens/fcm/visitgb.htm I like Monet's paintings, but there are none to see there, but you can see some in Paris. His home was nothing special and I thought rather drab inside. Looking back I would do something else with the time while I was in France. I would do it if it was on the way to something else like the D Day beaches. If you really want to see some nice gardens go to Angers, France. It is about an hour and half train ride out of Gare Montparnasse and you arrive in the middle of the city and many of the sites are an easy walking distance from the train station including the chateau, old part of the city, new part of the city and an exceptional garden. You could take and early morning train out of Paris and return late in the afternoon or early evening to Paris. Here are my picutes of my trip to Angers, the last few are from the garden that I would think was 30 or 40 acres in size. http://travel.webshots.com/album/97574274rPCmjg
Old Oct 29th, 2011, 09:14 PM
kja

I visited Giverny in early May - the iris were in full bloom (along with peonies and roses and pansies and clematis and poppies and an amazing array of other wonderful things). A few water lilies had just begun to bloom (really just a very few). Beautiful, glorious, and - on a gorgeous sunny Sunday - packed! Worth every moment in the midst of the happy masses. Like Randy, I urge you to check http://giverny.org/gardens/fcm/visitgb.htm for more info. Enjoy!
Old Oct 29th, 2011, 11:29 PM

You can get to Giverny by train from the Gare St Lazare to Vernon station: go for a train around 8am to avoid the main rush of tour buses. A local bus to Giverny meets the train. I think they would appreciate it if you have the change to pay the exact fare.

I didn't use it when I visited in 2005, since I found it a pleasant walk through Vernon, over the bridge and turn right at an unprepossessing-looking garage, on to a path built on the line of a disused railway. Or you could take the bus there and walk back as easily.

Some pics, starting with this one:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/patrick...57604796188694
Old Oct 30th, 2011, 03:15 AM

I totally agree with tdk320n. The Marais is a great area and I would definitely look at renting an apartment. My wife and I did that two years ago and it was a great experience. Our apartment was right across the street from a bakery, so breakfast included fresh bread and croissants. There was a small supermarket just up the street and at the week-end, there was the Bastille market with wonderful fresh meat and veg. We used VRBO as well and found it excellent. The package awaiting us in our apartment included wine, cheese, milk and bread together with chocalate. All very French
Old Oct 30th, 2011, 02:38 PM
Original Poster

Randy and kja and Patrick- thanks! We are so glad with our May choice. When I read "the iris were in full bloom (along with peonies and roses and pansies and clematis and poppies and an amazing array of other wonderful things" I was thrilled. Irises are my absolute favorite. We definitely want to see the gardens but also just love the fact that they are Monet's gardens. Our hotel is close to the Luxenbourg gardens so we should have something to compare. Thank you for the links. I will check them out, too.
Thank you all!