Search

After 6 nights in Venice...then where?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 24th, 2011, 04:14 PM
kk
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
After 6 nights in Venice...then where?

I'm planning a trip for about two weeks in late SEPT 2012, wanting to stay six nights in Venice and then a few nights around the Veneto at smaller places with fewer tourists. I do want to see at least one villa designed by Palladio. FIgure we will fly from Houston to Milan, train to Venice, and then from there....?

Any syggestions? My husband and I have been to Italy three times but never in the northeast. I see Vicenza, Bologna, Padua, Verona, and so on and on. Pity we cannot afford a month!
Thank you for your help!
Old Oct 24th, 2011, 05:51 PM

Definitely put Bologna on the list! I consider it one of Italy's most underrated destinations.
Old Oct 24th, 2011, 06:23 PM

Consider Ferrara. Everybody rides bikes - - the old men gather by the cathedral to talk leaning on their bikes; ladies gather in parks to chat leaning on their bikes (easy to rent too). Hotels are exceedingly reasonable. Food is Bologna-quality. It is a delightful town with pockets of beauty and medieval marvel. From there you can get direct trains to Ravenna to see the mosaics as a daytrip. And you win 100 Lire if you see any other American tourists.
Old Oct 25th, 2011, 12:53 AM

If you're flying back out of Milan, then I'd plan to spend my last night in Italy back in the area. This avoids potential road problems especially if you have an early flight home.

My favourite area to head back for would be Lake Garda. It's got lots to do with all the towns round the lake, good transport using your car or the boats that connect the various towns. You could see Verona for a night on the way across from Venice, or do a day trip from maybe Sirmione--my favourite spot on the Lake as a base. You'll fill your remaining stay with ease here and maybe consider a night in Bergamo as you make your way West back to Milan. The old town on the hill is well worth a visit.
Old Oct 25th, 2011, 05:54 AM

If you are interested in Palladio, you cannot do better than Vicenza, a mostly traffic-free historic centre with many Palladian buildings including the Teatro Olimpico, and La Rotonda, his most influential villa within walking distance of the town.

Not touristy at all but a nice bustle, food of the Veneto, nice shops, it's all very enjoyable and less than an hour from Venice on the train.
Old Oct 25th, 2011, 07:48 AM
ekc

I would highly recommend Asolo in Veneto or Cormons in Friuli. We just returned from a Asolo/Cormons/Venice trip and LOVED it!
Old Oct 25th, 2011, 09:27 AM
kk
Original Poster

I was interested in Bologna but my son who has lived in Italy twice said it didn't especially impress him. Never considered Ferrara, although Ravenna sounds smashing.

So Vicenza is a MUST. I know nothing about Asolo or Cormons. Please tell me more.
Old Oct 25th, 2011, 09:59 AM
ekc

KK - both Asolo and Cormons are charming towns. Asolo is very small, but is a great base for exploring nearby towns such as Bassano and Marostica. I know there is at least one Palladian Villa nearby, because we were supposed to visit it but had to cancel due to scheduling issues.
Cormons is a wonderful town in Friuli - we stayed at a winery about 10 minutes away, Russiz Superiore. Definitely larger than Asolo, but still has a great feeling to it. Amazing scenery. Fantastic food. Wonderful people. Really one of our favorite places yet in Italy. Our rooms were fantastic and a steal at $120EU a night.
If you decide to go, I can give you lots of restaurant recs for both towns!
In case you haven't done so yet, I would look into the Palladio cruise down the Brenta canal - I think it starts near Venice.
Old Oct 25th, 2011, 10:20 AM
kk
Original Poster

Oooh, all that does sound wonderful. I will check those things out. $120 EU a night sounds great after the expense of Venice!!
Old Oct 25th, 2011, 05:28 PM

kk, I guess your son just didn't do the right things in Bologna!
Ferrara is close to Bologna. so you could do both easily.
Old Oct 25th, 2011, 05:34 PM

PS: Plus factors about Bologna:
*Wonderful dining opportunities
*Better shopping opportunities, price-wise, than Rome, Florence and Venice
*Wonderful walking-around city
Old Oct 25th, 2011, 07:55 PM
kk
Original Poster

Dear Howard, you've been giving me advice on travel and restaurants and cultural opportunities on two continents for eleven years this fall. Not once did you ever steer me wrong. Therefore I am going to delve deeper into Bologna!
Old Oct 26th, 2011, 08:02 AM

kk, if you do go to Vicenza, note that La Rotonda's interior is open only on Wednesday and Saturday. It's worth arranging your timetable around it.

Earlier this month we visited La Malcontenta, another wonderful Palladian villa, by burchiello from Venice.