Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Layover- CDG airport hotel for too long! suggestions what to do?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19th, 2011, 02:39 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I made a mistake and have an unexpected layover at either a CDG hotel or a paris Hotel for 24 hours. What to do? I arrive into CDG at 7 AM this Friday and my next flight isn't until 7 AM this Saturday. What would you do with this time - stay at the airport hotel and get over jet lag or park my stuff at the hotel and after a cat nap head into the city? if so what can i do, for such a short period of time that is really special? I will not feel like running around. I will be back in Paris for 5 days in two weeks hence for the conclusion of my trip.
Old Sep 19th, 2011, 03:46 PM

No mistake. I did this drill.

Checked in to the CDG Sheraton, took the RER to Luxembourg station, cruised the sidewalks, had dinner, and took the RER back to CDG. Walked to my flight departure desk in the morning.
Old Sep 19th, 2011, 03:48 PM

I would never just stay at the hotel, but that's just me. I'd get into the city as fast as possible, spend a nice day, and go back to the hotel relatively early in the evening.

I wouldn't even take a cat nap. They do me in. I have to keep moving.
Old Sep 19th, 2011, 04:01 PM

Or, drop off your luggage at the airport hotel and take a 30 minute taxi ride to the beautiful small town of Senlis for lunch and a walk around town. Then return to the airport hotel.

Like StCirq, I need to keep moving. You may be different though.
Old Sep 19th, 2011, 04:04 PM

While the hotel probably will hold your luggage for you, it's not likely that your room will be available for you to use so early in the morning. Head for Paris and stay active to fight jet lag. Return to CDG in time to go to bed fairly early and get a good night's sleep. You'll wake up rested with your body clock on Europe time.

Buy a one-day zone 1-5 Paris Visite pass (€19.60) at CDG. Use it to get to Paris on the RER B, around the city, and back to CDG. Be aware that the RER B line divides northeast of Paris. When you head back to CDG be sure to get on a train that is going there.

There is no limit to the "special" things you could do in one day. What kinds of activities interest you most?
Old Sep 19th, 2011, 04:25 PM

If you land at 7 am by the tim eyou get through immigration, get your luggage, go through customs, make you way to the airport hotel, drop your luggage (your room will almost 100% not be ready) and get into town it will likely be about 10 am. I would take a nice long stroll (perhaps explore the Ile St Louis, have a casual lunch in a cafe and then see a ouole of sights - you can easily do Notre Dame and La Chapelle - then go and have an early dinner (7 pm or so) at a nice cafe and head back to your hotel to crash.
Old Sep 19th, 2011, 04:32 PM

no question....suck it up and head into Paris!! Seize the day!!! A few hours in Paris way better than a day at CDG. Agree...take the train in and enjoy it...sleep later. I bet you will find something amazing. You don't have to do anything special...just being in Paris is special enough! I might pop into Note Dame, stroll Ile St Louis, buy some chocolate at Cacao et Chacolat, ice cream Bethillon....
Old Sep 19th, 2011, 04:34 PM

Do youhave plans for your 5 days back in Paris? If so,I would do something that you won't be able to squeeze during those days.Maybe go out to Versailles or Giverny.
Just watch the time of trains back to your airport hotel.
Old Sep 19th, 2011, 05:24 PM
Original Poster

Excellent advice, as always. I knew my fellow Fodorites would come through for me. I will take the train into the city, have lunch, stroll and peek around for what I can to when I return.

Thanks for tip on the one-day zone 1-5 Paris Visite pass (€19.60) at CDG.

PS- What is the french word for honey? I prefer drinking tea with lots of honey over coffee and wanted to know - Do most of the cafes turn their noses at tea drinkers?
Old Sep 19th, 2011, 06:18 PM

We also just did the same on our return trip home. Arrived at noon, checked into the airport Hilton and off to Paris. We got to 3 places we had been wanting to go - lunch at Angelinas, walked around, dinner at Le Grand Colbert and walked to The Ritz for after dinner drinks. Hotel shuttle took us to the terminal for our 10:30am flight home.
Old Sep 19th, 2011, 06:54 PM

I have gotten tea all over Paris...believe that French word for honey is "miel"...I always get tea with lemon with no issue...I am sure honey will be no problem...
Old Sep 19th, 2011, 07:20 PM

You can order tea with honey, though I'm not sure every café will be able to fulfill that request. It would be "je voudrais du thé avec du miel, SVP." Of course if you go to a salong de thé instead of a café, it's almost certain you can order that.

gettng tea is not aproble, even in cafes where everyone else is sipping esperessos Most places serve it in ppot.
If you ae tea lover, don't miss Mariage Freres There are several around Paris. Even if you dont buy the teas, they'll let you have a "whiff' from the canister.But i dare you to resist buying at least a bit!!
Don't miss the aroma of their "PAQUES'' tea- incredible!!!!

That should have been salon.
Old Sep 19th, 2011, 07:22 PM

and my response should read "problem" "pot" "are" and"espressos."
I need either a new keyboard(this one is that small flat one that goes with iMac)...or new fingers.
Old Sep 20th, 2011, 07:52 AM
Original Poster

txhomes - did you find the airport shuttle back to CDG reliable and on time? I am staying at the Marriott and I can't remember where i read it, but someone mentioned they were disappointed with the shuttle service ( not organized , etc). Also, to get to the airport hotel from CDG can i take the easy way out and take a taxi? I will be tired after the flight and don't want to deal with finding the location of the hotel shuttle and waiting forever unless it is really convenient. Are the hotel shuttles located in the same place as the taxi's at CDG?

Also do i need to go back to CDG after i unload my luggage to pick up the RER B into the city?

For the final leg of my trip I return back to CDG for a 6 night stay near the Arc de Triomphe. I don't want to spend a gizillion dollars in cab fare. Has anyone used the Roissybus from CDG that drops you off at Opera? Would it be hard to get to the Renaissance Hotel Arc de Triomphe from the Opera drop off? Just a caveat - I am traveling with heavy luggage due to the fact I am carrying gear for a hiking phase as well as gear for colder weather.

Thanks for the correct way of asking for tea- "je voudrais du thé avec du miel, SVP.
Old Sep 20th, 2011, 09:52 AM

Yes, you will need to get from CDG to the Mariott and back again to catch the RER B. If you take the free hotel shuttle, you will be picked up and dropped off near the CDG 2 TGV RER station. Here's a quote from the hotel site:

"You will stay at the Paris CDG Airport Marriott Hotel and enjoy a free shuttle to and from the airport. The shuttle operates from Terminal 2, everyday from 5am to 00.30, approximately every 20 minutes. From Terminal 1 or Terminal 3 go to station 'Terminal 2/TGV-RE' train station. 20 minutes transportation." However, I'm sure you can take a taxi to the hotel if you so choose.

Since I suggested that you buy a one-day Paris Visite pass, I should tell you that the multi-day versions of the pass are not a good deal. For a list of all your ticket and pass options for your six-day stay, with links to detailed explanations of each one, go here: http://tinyurl.com/let4xg.

At the end of your stay if you don't want to schlepp your luggage on the metro and RER to get to CDG, I suggest that you take Air France bus #2 directly from Etoile (right at the Arc de Triomphe) to CDG. Buses run every 20 minutes and make make one stop at Porte Maillot. The fare is €13.50. It would be a very short taxi ride from your hotel to Etoile.
Old Sep 20th, 2011, 09:58 AM

The CDG Sheraton is steps away from the boarding gates. The RER station is a few steps away from that. It is TOO convenient.

The Roissybus stops at Opera, a long way from Etoile. There is an Air France Les Cars bus that stops on the north side of Etoile.
Old Sep 20th, 2011, 01:01 PM
Original Poster

Latest update, I can change my ticket and avoid a layover if I grap a flight at 1 PM out of Orly. It costs $150 to change but it allows me to change something else too.
Am I being too neurotic? I originally thought I wanted to minimize my travel the day I arrived, but now that I realize I have 24 hours of having to come up with something, I am having second thoughts. Plus I won't have to get up at the crack of dawn on Saturday to make my 7:25 AM flight. Is getting to Orly for a 1 pm flight too tight if I arrive into CDG at 7 AM?

Please weigh in.
Old Sep 20th, 2011, 01:50 PM

Change it- by the time you add the cost of hotel, getting into Paris, eating in Paris etc you will come close or more to spending $150 or more ...listen to that inner voice!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -