Search

Portugal Advice

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19th, 2011, 10:38 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Portugal Advice

Hello everyone

my husband and i are spending 8 days in portugal in the second week of november.First off we were wondering how the weather might be. We will be staying in lisbon for 3 nights at orange 3 house near the bairro alto area. Is anyone familiar with this establishment ? We plan on renting a car ---- any ideas on who to use and if we're to pick up the car at the lisbon airport --how much is cab fare from the barrio alto area. We will drive down to the algarve for 2 nights. we are staying in lagos. any recommendations on things / towns not to miss in the area. From there we want to head up to Porto -- but would like to break up the drive. Any suggestions on a nice town to stay for 1 night on the way to Porto. Also how long mihght it take to drive from algarve area to Porto. Is Evora a good possiblity. How long is the drive from evora to porto?
thanks for your help!
Old Sep 20th, 2011, 03:31 AM

I think you need to do quite a bit more research before solidifying your plans.

Why are you going to Lisbon first and they driving to the Algarve? You will have to double back to get to Porto, seems like a silly waste of time to me. Why not just fly into Faro airport and start your trip there. Then go to Lisbon and on north.

All you have to do is Google weather to find out what the weather is likely going to be in November. Then all you have to do is Google maps to get the distance and time for each of your destinations to the next.

You need to ask yourself why you are interested in going to the different areas. You will be spending a lot of time driving instead of seeing the sights. If you based yourselves in Lisbon, you could see Cascais, Sintra, Mafra and Obidos as day trips. These are very interesting and historical areas of Portugal and won't have you driving endlessly - in other words, you could actually see more of Portugal than the inside of your car. I don't want to rain on your parade, just get you thinking logistically about where you will visit and why.
Old Sep 20th, 2011, 05:52 AM

We were there last year from Nov 6-21 and the weather was wonderful. Cool days, not hot. I like cool weather. 60-70 degrees and I'm in short sleeves and pants, so it made it pleasant that it was 60-70 degrees.

We spent the night in Obidos and loved it as we went from Lisbon to Oporto as well.

Bus and train system are great--do you really want to rent a car?
Old Sep 20th, 2011, 06:19 AM

You can use the following sights for driving times/distances. I always add 25% to whatever times are shown.

mappy.com
viamichelin.com
Old Sep 20th, 2011, 08:12 AM

I think you are trying to cover too much in 8 days. I wouldn't go to Algarve just for 2 days in November. Although the weather is pleasant ocean is too cold. It's 3.5 hr drive o/w from Lisbon or 4 hrs by bus. Instead you can divide time between Lisbon & Porto; lots of things to see in each. Side trips from Lisbon can be Sintra, Mafra, Cascais, Evora & Fatima; all by bus or train. Braga & Guimaraes can be visited from Porto; also by public transit.
Old Sep 26th, 2011, 08:08 AM
Original Poster

thanks for all your advise guys. I think you have a valid point and so we are scratching our short visit to the Algarve. So now we will have 3 night in between our 3 nights in Lisbon and our 2 nights in Porto. Any suggestions: should we consider evora and marvao when we leave lisbon and maybe stay a night or 2 there. or should we go to Sintra, Cascais and up to obidos and stay 2 nights there. Anywhere is the duoro valley you might suggest .thanks again
Old Sep 26th, 2011, 09:45 AM

Recommendation for Lagos, which I loved. It is a very atmospheric town with excellent restuarants. I loved the Casa do Ze by the Fish Market - very cheap and well worth it.There is a smaller onenearby which i liked even better but cant remember the name ... it is famous for its Arroz Marinera. The Jeep Safari nay sound a bit downmarket but it was excellent. We were given an excellent commentary on the birds and fauna in the area. The weather should be quite pleasant in Lagos in November.
Old Sep 26th, 2011, 10:22 AM

Yes Lagos is nice but IMHO I wouldn't be spending 2 long drives for the sake of very short stay there. Algarve is a great destination but it needs more time. Also if OP is from NYC check out TAP Air Portugal from Newark. They used to go to both Lisbon and Porto and if this is still the case then there is no need to return to Lisbon.

Sintra will take at least a day (worth it); Cascais can be a fast drive by (very touristy). Braga & Guimaraes are worth it (especially Braga with beautiful baroque churches). Douro valley is a pleasant drive. Also there are daily boat trips for tourists (boat from Porto to Regua or Regua & back by train). See http://www.portotours.com/indexen.ph...t&idCategory=2 for sample routes. There are other companies selling this cruise.
Old Sep 30th, 2011, 11:37 AM

Some towns between Lisbon and Porto that i liked were Obidas, Nazare, and Coimbra. Stayed a night in both Nazare and Coimbra, which ended up being a perfect way to break up the drive between Lisbon and Porto. Btw- i really enjoyed Porto and wished i would have stayed there longer. Enjoy your trip
Old Sep 30th, 2011, 01:39 PM

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
I have not been to your other options, but I have been to Evora and Marvao, and they are very worthwhile.