Which Marriott in Paris

Search

Which Marriott in Paris

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18th, 2011, 05:01 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Which Marriott in Paris

I have enough points to redeem for my stay at a Marriot in Paris but having a hard time trying to decide between Hotel Le Parc - Trocadero Paris - 55-57 Avenue Raymond and the Paris Marriott Rive Gauche Hotel and Conference Center- 17 Blvd. Saint Jacques. The Trocadero seems like an ideal location whereas the Rive Gauche seems a bit far off though I read better reviews with the Rive Gauche. Also, the Trocadero is 5,000 more points a night and I could use the savings with the points for another destination.

This is my first time in Paris and not sure if I'm going to be back anytime soon so I am torn on what to do. Has anyone stayed at either (or both) of these hotels and if so, can you please share your experience and advice?

r/
Bryan
Old Sep 18th, 2011, 06:39 PM

We often stay for one night at the Marriot Rive Gauche on Priceline bids, we do this when we are intransit to or from somewhere else and only spend one night there.

It is a very nice property with very nicely appointed rooms, friendly desk staff.

The view from the window is OK if you are up high, otherwise the RER runs right in front of it, you can't hear it , it doesn't bother you, but if it were my first time to Paris and I arrived and saw this view I would not be too impressed. The metro is right there and it's easy to get everywhere, there are some nice restaurants in the14th....tough decision.
Old Sep 18th, 2011, 07:04 PM

Received 12 Likes on 1 Post
Do a search on these properties at www.marriottrewardsinsiders.com

There are many reviews.
Old Sep 18th, 2011, 09:12 PM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
The Marriott Rive Gauche is in a more interesting 'normal' Paris neighborhood. However, it is true that if you get one of the rooms on the RER side, it could be disappointment if you were hoping for a view of the Eiffel Tower.
Old Sep 18th, 2011, 11:23 PM

We stayed at LeParc many times when it was a Sofitel and loved the location - a residential area with plenty of restaurants and cafes around, a short walk from the metro and from the Trocadero. The hotel has a beautiful garden terrace, one of the nicest hotel terraces in Paris. There is an artisanal bakery down the street (about 1.5 blocks away) that is a terrific place for breakfast and very reasonably priced.

You won't get views of the ET from Le Parc. I haven't stayed there since it became a Starwood property -- service and ambience may have changed for the worse. And if saving points for spending elsewhere is important (fair enough), go with your other choice.
Old Sep 19th, 2011, 01:07 AM

Stayed at Marriott on Champs Elysee in '10. Lovely hotel/ great location.

We used the boat that runs along the Seine as transportation and it is not a far walk from hotel. If you start @ Louvre you can walk right up the street to your home! Great concierge services.
Old Sep 19th, 2011, 02:08 AM

Rive Gauche in the past for me bidding priceline.com for $80

#1 Champs #2 Trocadero both better locations with points for me

So either of those prefer Champs E location...
Old Sep 19th, 2011, 07:48 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for the feedback. Unfortunately, CE is unavailable for our dates. I have done searches on the marriot insiders website but haven't found anything comparing just the two hotels with people's preferences.

If I stay at the Marriot Rive Gauche, how long are the metro rides to the touristy points of interest?
Old Sep 19th, 2011, 09:08 AM

Looks like Metro line 4 is your best bet. Quick ride to hear of St Germain ( 4 stops) and Notre Dame (6 stops) area. One more stop and you are on Right Bank, and can then transfer to line 1 for Louvre, Champs Elysee,etc.. Metro line 6 from near your hotel to go to Eiffel, about 10 stops.

So you are 10-20 minutes from getting to areas you will want to visit.

Bit of a hike to get to Seine, Luxembourg gardens closer. Some goods restos on Blvd du Montparnasse.
Old Sep 19th, 2011, 11:47 AM

We stayed at the Paris Marriott Rive Gauche Hotel and Conference Center on points last July. It is an OK staff friendly business/convention hotel. As kerouac states, it is in a "normal" Paris neighborhood. There is a nearby (25 min walk) pedestrian street, Rue Daguerre, with shops, restaurants, etc.

http://www.marriott.com/hotelwebsite...n%20Stroll.pdf

We walked to Notre Dame
http://www.marriott.com/hotelwebsite...tre%20Dame.pdf

We also stayed at the 5 star Renaissance Paris Arc de Triomphe on Marriott points,located a few steps away from the Arc de Triomphe and the Champs-Elysées Avenue. It is a much nicer hotel-more points.There are many restaurants, cafes,fast foods,etc within one block. There is a nice breakfast at the hotel,free if your status qualifies you (otherwise too expensive). Metro nearby.
Old Sep 19th, 2011, 12:02 PM

We just stayed for 3 nights at the Paris Rive Gauche and enjoyed it very much. It is in a quiet residential neighborhood, and it is a block away from 2 different metro stations, St. Jaques and Clacier, and it very near the Denfert-Rochereau Metro/RER line, which enables you to get to both Orlay and CDG airports.
Old Sep 19th, 2011, 12:05 PM

dugi_otok - I am staying at the Renaissance Paris Arc de Triomphe in a couple of weeks using points. Were you able to get a room upgrade? Any specific restaurants or great "finds" you can share? Thanks.
Old Sep 19th, 2011, 01:22 PM

Keppy
My son used his points. We had larger rooms with small balconies. I do not know if he was upgraded or he had to pay extra.We got breakfast included, bottle of wine in each room, a large box of chocolates, other goodies.They do have view rooms of the ET, but the bedding was not right for us, me and 2 kids. We went to child friendly restaurants so I have no recommendations for dinner.For lunch we went to Dadas, just around the corner and had great salads and desserts. We stayed here because of location, a short walk to the finish of the Tour de France
dugi
Old Sep 20th, 2011, 02:50 PM
Original Poster

How is taking the metro? I only know the DC Metro and that was pretty easy and convenient to use. Is it anything like that (especially if your French is rather limited...)?
Old Sep 20th, 2011, 05:40 PM

Similar to the DC Metro. Not speaking French is not a problem. Rick Steves Paris Guide tells you everything you need to know. There were badged English speaking Metro employees at the ticket machines who helped us buy tickets last July.
Old Sep 21st, 2011, 08:20 AM

I've never stayed at either of those, so sorry if this is a little off topic, but I have stayed at the Marriott Renaissance Paris Vendome, in the 1st, and had a great experience. It's very close to the Metro, Louvre, shopping (or window shopping!) and easy walk to many tourist destinations. Good luck and have a great time!