Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Spending money for 2-week Amalfi Coast solo trip?

Old Sep 4th, 2011, 08:51 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just wondering how much cash I can expect to spend on a 2-week late spring solo trip around the Amalfi Coast and Capri. I hear it's quite expensive. I'm budget minded, but do love to shop! Can anyone give me an idea of how much public transportation costs? A glass of Pinot Grigio? A light dinner? Any insight will be appreciated. Grazie!
Old Sep 4th, 2011, 11:56 AM

Do you know where you are staying during your trip? How do you plan to get around?
If I went by myself for two weeks I could easily spend $10,000. But that is because I have certain places I like to stay and things I like to do. This amount does not really account for what I could spend shopping.
Everybody is different an has a different idea of budget minded.
Old Sep 4th, 2011, 11:57 AM

Oh and by the way... I am completely jealous! Have fun!!
Old Sep 4th, 2011, 12:27 PM

You can look for the Sita bus schedules to find out the cost between cities.

Restaurant costs can vary a lot, but you can expect less economical options on Capri or Positano. For example you may find a trattoria in Sorrento with a glass of house wine for 3 or 4eu, but a budget place on Capri may be double that. Everything is usually a la carte. On the lower end I think (in euro) a salad can be 4-8, other sides/apps can be 3-10, pasta with tomato 8-12, other pastas 10-18, secondi (meat/fish) 12-20, water 2-5 and then coperto/pane 2-4pp. A margherita pizza runs 3-8. An espresso .60-1.00. Gelato 2.50-5.00. Menus are often displayed outside which makes it easier.

Hope this helps and is within your budget. There is no shortage of places to empty your wallet, but cheaper restaurants in the area are harder to come by. It always helps to walk away from the main street/piazza/attraction to find budget options.