Search

Best car rental agency on Maui?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23rd, 2011, 02:56 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best car rental agency on Maui?

Hello!

My family and I are traveling to Maui next month and we still haven't made our car rental reservations. After reading some things to watch out for when renting a car, such as charging the renter for damage to the car that they didn't do, pushing them to upgrade the car and making sure the gas tank is completely full, I'm a bit a concerned about renting from the right company. I've been looking at prices and most of the companies are about the same price and currently the best deal for us is from Alamo. My question for everyone is which car rental agency is the best to rent from? Any positive reviews or horror stories about renting a car at the Maui Kahului (OGG) airport?

Thanks in advance!
Old Aug 23rd, 2011, 06:53 PM

I've rented cars at the airport many times and never had any of the problems you mentioned. All the major national car rental companies on Maui are very professionally run. Just go for the best rate.
Old Aug 23rd, 2011, 07:18 PM

Same advice here - we've rented from most of the major chains at OGG at one time or another and have never had any problems. Clerks at all of them have been very pleasant and professional. I think you'll be fine with any of them.

Just do the usual check with the clerk to note any damage already on the car before you drive away. Check your own car insurance to see what it covers on rentals. We usually splurge on the insurance that says anything and everything that might happen to the car is covered - it's really not that much more per day. Biggest concern is door dings in the many tiny, crowded parking lots everywhere.

It's not a big deal to fill the tank before you turn the car back in. There are a number of gas stations right at the airport entrance. And unless you rent a gas guzzler, you probably won't use more than half a tank anyway - the island's just not that big.

Have a great trip!
Old Aug 25th, 2011, 10:48 AM

We rented with Alamo and were very happy with our service! We were given a complimentary upgrade and chose a Lincoln town car that was roomy and perfect for our group of 4. ***kim***
Old Aug 27th, 2011, 01:27 PM
TAW

I got the best rates from DiscountHawaiiCarRental.com
Go to the website and put in your info and they send you a quote. They use all the standard rental agencies just at a better rate than what I was able to find on my own.