Tuesday Arrival in Paris - What to do?

Old Aug 22nd, 2011, 02:03 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tuesday Arrival in Paris - What to do?

Hi Everyone,

I will be in Paris for part of my honeymoon, arriving at 8am Tuesday, September 13, 2011. We will be in Paris for 5 days/4 nights. We are going to get the 4 day museum pass which we will start using Wednesday morning to get the most out of it. So considering: 1)we'd prefer to visit places that aren't covered by the pass this day (I believe most stuff is closed Tues. anyway) 2) getting out of the airport, getting luggage, making it to our hotel will probably eat up most of the morning 3) we will probably be zombies from jet lag and wedding hangovers, does anyone have any suggestions for what to do with this first day in Paris? We will be hitting the big 'Must Sees' on days we can start out fresh and early, so the only big site we would probably see that day is the Eiffel Tower (since its also not included with the pass). Our hotel is in the 14th Arrondissement near the Port Royal RER if that's helpful. So any suggestions for itinerary, walks, a tour....a romantic experience perhaps. We like history, art, great food - even just pretty streets with interesting shops. Hope I'm giving enough info. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Best Regards,
Jessica
Old Aug 22nd, 2011, 02:11 PM

I would take the Metro/RER and get off at St Michel. You are in the heart of Paris, at the Seine. Notre Dame! From there I would just wander, checking out the booksellers along the sidewalk, head down to the little park at the Western tip of Ile de la Cite (Square du Vert Galant) for a scenic view and a place to sit. Cross over the pedestrian bridge (Pont des Arts), hang there, check out the locks (people put them on to symbolize their everasting love)...meander. Later, head east of St Michel,same road...views of back of Notre Dame. You can eat along here, some places have outdoor patios with views, maybe head over to Ile St Louis, which is linked to Ile de la Cite by a small bridge. Nice place ot wander and eat.

This will get you in the "Paris mood". Very scenic, no museums, no big decisions or opening schedules, just wandering and taking it all in.

At some point (probably not this night) there is a good Seine cruise (best after dark) right beside Sq. du Vert Galant.
Old Aug 22nd, 2011, 02:19 PM

Port-Royal is at the end of the Luxembourg Gardens panhandle. Walk through them and then you can either wander through the St. Germain area or through the quartier Latin (around the Pantheon, toward the rue Mouffetard).
Old Aug 22nd, 2011, 02:25 PM

Take the Fat Tire bike tour at night. Leaves at 7 (I think) from the Eiffel Tower goes through town and ends with a cruise (& wine) down the Seine. I've done it twice and it's great fun.

http://fattirebiketours.com/paris
Old Aug 22nd, 2011, 02:25 PM

Don't put too much pressure on yourselves. It's your honeymoon, and you're in Paris. As if that weren't wonderful enough, there are lots of things open on Tuesday -- the Musée d'Orsay, for one.

But it's your first day. Even after living there for several years, I still think the best thing to do in Paris is to wander.