Search

turkey

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10th, 2011, 12:24 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
turkey

Does anyone have a suggested itinerary for 8 days in Turkey, beginning in Istanbul?
Old Aug 10th, 2011, 12:40 PM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
http://www.fodors.com/community/fodo...vel-forums.cfm
Old Aug 10th, 2011, 12:46 PM

You might want to read my trip report, although it was longer than 8 days outside Istanbul. Click on my name to find it.
Old Aug 10th, 2011, 01:01 PM

Interests, budget? Arrival departure times?
You might want to have a look at a Turkey guidebook. There is so much to see in Istanbul itself that you could just stay there...

As a swag...Istanbul + Cappadocia.
Old Aug 18th, 2011, 05:57 AM
sjj

After a few frenzied trips to Europe early in our marriage, my wife and I decided that the fewer places you visit, the better the trip - you avoid time wasted in travel, in packing and unpacking your luggage, and in finding your way around strange cities.

Istanbul has so many things to see that I would suggest spending your time there with one side trip, a guided tour of Ephesus. The main sights we like in Istanbul are the Blue Mosque, Hagia Sophia, the Mosaic Museum near the Arasta Bazaar, the Grand Bazaar, the Archeological Museum, Topkapi Palace, the Spice Bazaar, the Hippodrome, and assorted mosques, churches, and museums whose names now escape me. We should have made an effort to go up the Bosporus on a ferry or a tour, but didn't out of sloth.

Hope this is helpful. Have a nice trip.
Old Aug 18th, 2011, 06:50 AM

Will this be your first time in Turkey? With only a week and if it's your first time, most guide books will suggest either (a) Istanbul and Cappadocia or (b) Istanbul and Ephesus.
Old Sep 2nd, 2011, 12:47 AM

You can stay for a couple of days in Istanbul and after that visit Cappadocia and even some of the summer resorts. Bursa is also a lovely city to visit. If you are first time travelers to Istanbul it is better for you to stay in Sultanahmet area. Other good tip is to arrange an airport transfer. There are websites on the internet such as http://istanbulvipairportmeetandgreetservice.com/ which offer this service. For your traveling around Turkey you can use public transport but it is not the most comfortable way to travel. Other good idea is just to stay in Istanbul. This city has much to offer to its guest so you will have a lot of places to visit.