Search

Italy

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5th, 2011, 05:57 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Italy

I will be taking a cruise in June with my younger daughter and will be visiting Venice, Dubrovnik Croatia, Athens Greece, Izmir Turkey, Messina Sicily, Olbia, Sardina Italy, Rome, Livorno, Monaco, Marseilles France and was wondering if it is safe to get off the boat and just walk around and find our own tours (taxes/buses) or should I take the tours through the cruise? Are some places more safe that others. We have been on cruises and usually go off on our own before but never the Europe. Thanks
Old Aug 5th, 2011, 06:26 PM

They are all safe or else the cruise ship would not stop there. Use the local TI to find inexpensive, guided walking tours when in port. Do you homework before you go so that your time is productive.
Old Aug 6th, 2011, 12:44 PM

You are unnecessarily worried. All those places will be full of tourists and most of them will be traveling on their own. they would not be there if they weren't safe, believe me. Those aren't wild animals living there. They are people living their lives, just like you do at home. You will get more feel for the real country if you get away from the cruise cocoon. I would applaud you for venturing out alone!!

That is not to say there aren't incidents in those cities. But there are incidents in the US, too. Would you not walk around in New York or San Francisco?
Old Aug 6th, 2011, 02:50 PM

There are places in New York and San Francisco I wouldn't walk around. Likewise Marseilles. I think fmpden is giving you good advice.
Old Aug 7th, 2011, 06:22 AM
ira

Hi S,

>We have been on cruises and usually go off on our own before but never the Europe.<

Compared to visiting Europe, you would be foolish to get off the boat in US cities.

>Athens Greece
Your ship docks in Piraeus. It's about 15E for a cab to Athens.

>Rome
Your ship docks in Civitavecchia. The train station is about 1 km from the entrance to the Port. Will there be a shuttle bus from the boat to the entrance?

>Livorno
This is the port for Florence. The docks are about 3 km from the train station. It's about 20 min by bus. See www.maps.google.com

Enjoy your visit.

Enjoy your visit.
Old Aug 7th, 2011, 06:23 AM
ira

PS,

Check out your cruise and get in touch with your fellow travelers at www.cruisecritic.com