Search

How is Jakarta during ramadan?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16th, 2011, 07:22 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How is Jakarta during ramadan?

Hi

I might be heading to Jakarta for a few days in connection with a business trip in August. I have been to KL during ramadan and that has not been a problem. How is Jakarta during ramadan compared to KL? Is it OK for a non-muslim to eat and drink during the day?

Regards
Gard
http://gardkarlsen.com - trip reports and pictures
Old Jul 16th, 2011, 04:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
All hotels and quite a few restaurants in the business district serve meals throughout the day during Ramadan.

Jakarta's wilder nightlife is turned down a notch. The fundamentalist religious groups would like to see serving of alcohol curtailed altogether, even after sunset, and although they haven't been entirely successful, there are always unpleasant confrontations.

The major issue, to me, is more psychological. Everyone is tired and thirsty and hungry and not operating at full mental capacity. There are more logistical challenges than the business visitor may be aware of.

You have to be sensitive to the needs of your colleagues, including those in service positions like drivers, and the allow them to get to water and food the minute the sun sets. Women, especially, may need to leave work early to get home in time to prepare the break-fast meal for their families. You want to avoid group lunches and celebrations or just "indulging" in front of people who are fasting.