Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

All Inclusive Adult Only Honeymoon June 2012, HELP!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30th, 2011, 11:45 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

SO I have been researching for weeks and I am just so confused because there are so many amazing places and so many reviews to weed through.........

Here is a list of some of the MUST HAVE things we would like for our honeymoon…

1. All inclusive
2. Adult only
3. Relatively short flight… Riviera Maya or Caribbean (coming from Atlanta GA)
4. Beautiful beach with very clear water
5. Good food and drinks

Here are some things we would like but don’t have to have…

1. Room that we can walk out directly on to the beach or room with a private plunge pool
2. Clean up to date rooms, we don’t need marble bath tubs or a ton of luxury but we don’t want it to look like an outdated hotel room either
3. Lots of pools with swim up bars
4. Some places we really would like to go are Antigua, the Bahamas, St. Lucia, Negril, and anywhere in the Riviera Maya Mexico

Our max budget is $5000 for 5 to 7 days which does NOT include airfare... using Delta Skymiles

Our honeymoon will be in June of 2012
Here is a list of places I am interested in so far....
1. Sandals Antigua, any of the sandals in St. Lucia or Negril, any of the Sandals in the Bahamas, Sandals Montego Bay
2. Couples Negril or Couples Swept away
3. Secrets Maroma Beach or Capri Riviera Cancun
4. Secrets Wild Orchid or St. James Montego Bay
5. El Dorado Seaside Suites or El Dorado Maroma
6. Excellence Resorts in Mexico (not Dominican Republic)
Old Jun 30th, 2011, 01:14 PM

my vote would be for the secrets or excellence resorts you will get more for your money with these resorts.

Have been to Sandals Antigua we enjoyed our stay there but when we were there the resort was not what we expected and the food was not good this was several years ago and I know they have expanded. We have also stayed at Sandals in St. Lucia the smallest resort it was a lot of fun but it is a small resort with only a few restaurants and entertainment but you can go to the sister resorts which is nice as well we did go to one of them for the day and for dinner it was larger with more going on depends on your taste which you prefer. But there are beautiful sunsets there. We have also been to the secrets Capri in Riviera Maya it is also a quite resort it has only one pool the resort is very nice and the food was very good along with the service and the beach was nice just quite, we were also at secrets Maroma a lot of honey mooners go there the resort is nice but only has two pools one right in front of the other but the restaurants were good and so was the service they also have waiters on the beach who bring you drinks ice cream food so on. We have also been to the excellence in Cancun this is a much larger resort very nice as well good food service and fun they have huge pools that run around the whole resort with hammocks in some of the pools and bali beds in other areas they have live music out side by one of the bars plenty of restaurants and bars. The rooms in the secrets and excellence resorts are all marble with nice jacuzzi tubs you get slippers and robes room service refrigerators stocked with beer soda water and juice. you can not go wrong with the secrets or excellence resorts.
Old Jun 30th, 2011, 02:53 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I'm no expert on AI resorts but I WAY suggest Negril over Montego Bay if you choose to go to Jamaica.

I think you get more bang for your buck in the Mexican resorts (than Caribbean islands) such as the Mayan Riviera, somewhere outside Cancun around Playa del Carmen area.
Old Jun 30th, 2011, 03:41 PM

I've been to Sandals Antigua (after they expanded) the Mediterrean Village is very nice. I've also stayed at Sandals Grande St. Lucia - which was also nice. If I had a choice to go to any Sandals - I'd go to Sandals Emerald Bay - in June you should get a good price - and every room comes with upgraded service. I hear only great things about this resort. I've also heard Secrets and Excellence resorts are great...and everyone says Negril area is fabulous.....Also - for Jamaica - Iberostar Grand and Secrets Wild Orchid - my nieces stayed here and LOVED both properties.
Old Jun 30th, 2011, 05:21 PM

Kelly,
I know next to nothing about AI's but I will point out that BellaClaire suggests the Sandals Emerald Bay in Great Exuma and since you are flying out of ATL and using Delta miles, Delta flies direct to Georgetown, Exuma (GGT) - only on Sundays though but perhaps on Wednesdays at some times of the year- check with them. I am researching a GE trip for next April (renting a home) and the flight from Atlanta is only 2 hours which is great compared to some travel you might consider.
Best of luck to you and have a wonderful honeymoon. I have been to the Exumas twice and it is absolutely gorgeous there- very laid back but I would pick it over a day long travel to other places in a minute.
Old Jun 30th, 2011, 07:04 PM
KVR

After being to 2 Sandals, I find them very hard to recommend. I found they are not worth the extra money.

I do agree that you will get way more for your money in the Rivera Maya. Secrets Maroma and the Iberostar Grand Parsiao are highly recommended. However, I will throw in the El Dorado Maroma instead of the Seaside Suites. We stayed at the Seaside suites years ago before the updating, the location (IMHO) is terrible, which can not be fixed by any updates.
Old Jul 14th, 2011, 09:04 PM

on day one of our honeymoon. Sitting in free internet cafe at Secrets St James Resort- Montego Bay. Cant say much for the other resorts on your list but we are 100% happy we chose this one. This resort is STUNNIGLY beautiful, super friendly great food thus far. We upgraded to the VIP Preferred package and it is unreal. My vote is for Secrets St James for sure!!
Happy Planning! And congratulations!!
Old Jul 15th, 2011, 04:28 AM

I love Negril, Jamaica ( have been going there for over 25 years), but last year my husband wanted to try something new, so we went to Cancun, even though I was sure I'd hate it. Wound up having a great vacation there at LIVE AQUA, which has now gone AI and adults-only. It's a really beautiful resort with six pools, 4 restaurants, health club, spa, and very quiet stretch of beachfront. We upgraded to the AQUA SUITE since we were celebrating a big anniversary, which is a bedroom/living room combo with a huge wraparound deck overlooking the beach. It was heaven. I admit to barely leaving the hotel, which is unusual for us, although we did go out a few nights to some excellent restaurants ( Argentinian steak house) in the neighborhood.

IF you decide on Jamaica, skip Montego Bay and head for Negril. There's no way that Mobay compares favorably in terms of beach or much else to Negril. Have a great honeymoon!!
Old Jul 15th, 2011, 10:12 AM

How about the Ibeostar Grand Paraiso south of Cancun. The think I saw private rooms with plunge pools off to the side. We were on the first floor right on the beach. Secrets Maroma has first floor swim out rooms that are very close to the beach. Secret Capri has oceanfront rooms but I didn't think the water was crystal clear when we were there. El Dorado Maroma has rooms right on the beach.
Old Jul 18th, 2011, 09:24 AM
Original Poster

Has anyone been to both Negril jamaica and resorts in mexico near Secrets Maroma beach?
I think I have narrowed it down to either Secrets Maroma beach or Couples Negril or Couples Swept Away
Old Jul 18th, 2011, 09:33 AM
KVR

I've been to Mexico 10 times and Negril once. Mexico is a better value. You will get more for your money. Maroma beach in Mexico is much nicer that 7 Mile Beach in Negril. Couples Negril sits on Bloody Bay, Maroma Beach is still much nicer. There are more things to see and do off property in Mexico also. Now these are my opinions and may not be necssary agreed with with by people who like Negril over Mexico.

Knowing what I know and having been to both areas, Secret Maroma would be my choice.

With that said, we are going to the Jewel Dunns River in Ocho Rios in December. I would recommend that hotel over Couples. It's less expensive also. But it really depends on what you want to do on your honeymoon. I don't really see Jamaica as a 'beach vacation'. It's more like a 'sightseeing trip'. Mexico is a little of both, but having been to Mexico so many times, we were just looking for something different this time.
Old Jul 18th, 2011, 01:47 PM

I have to politely disagree with KVR about Jamaica not being a beach destination! Bloody Bay doesn't count in my book. It's mostly man-made and used to be a quiet snorkeling spot. But the rest of Negril's almost seven-mile-long beach is constantly on lists for the world's best beaches, and not many other beaches in the Caribbean or Europe IMHO are as spectacular.

So if you're interested in Jamaica, yes, skip Couples Negril, and check out Couples Swept Away, which has an absolutely gorgeous beachfront, as well as an excellent spa, gym, and tennis courts.

It is the sister property of IDLE AWHILE, a smaller non AI property on the beach, that's closer to town.