Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

How long to drive from Liberia to Mal Pais/Santa Teresa?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22nd, 2011, 11:05 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have read that this drive takes anywhere between 4 and 5 hours. Perhaps the variance is due to different people's driving habits, how used to driving on unpaved roads they are, weather, etc. Can anyone tell me what I could expect, generally speaking - closer to 4 or 5?

We will be getting on the road at about 2:30-3pm in Liberia - is it completely nuts to consider driving the last piece of this route in the dark?
Old Apr 22nd, 2011, 11:16 AM

Look here - www.yourtravelmap.com for distances and driving times.

Yes, it is completely nuts to consider driving the last piece of this route in the dark.

As for closer to 4 or 5 - it really depends on: how you drive, how many times you stop (for photos, drinks, bathroom, food, etc), whether you get behind a big truck loaded with cement or a little truck loaded with pineapples.

If you are not able to get on the road from Liberia until 3 pm, I would spend the night in that area - or even somewhere near Santa Cruz (www.nicoyapeninsula.com) and start out the next morning. You could even head for Playas del Coco, slightly out of the way, but only about 1/2 hour.

Sunset is around 5:30 pm, year round. It might change 10-15 minutes during the year. It is dark dark by 6 pm.

What time does your flight arrive LIR?
Old Apr 22nd, 2011, 12:16 PM
Original Poster

Great info - thanks. Flight arrives at 1:30pm, then have to pick up the rental car (we rented a Bego). On that note, are those little 4x4s enough or do you think we should consider a larger one? Will be driving from LIR down through the Nicoya Peninsula, then up to Guanacaste near the Nica border for about a week.
Old Apr 22nd, 2011, 12:17 PM
Original Poster

And I have looked at that map - thanks - it states about 5 hours. In your experience, is it usually accurate?
Old Apr 22nd, 2011, 12:51 PM

In my experience, the travel map is accurate - given the variables as listed above.

If your flight indeed arrives at 1:30, you should be out of the airport in about 30 minutes, if there are no "hitches" anywhere. It's a small airport and very fast. Of course, if you have checked luggage, that will take a bit longer but even with checked luggage, you could be out in 30 minutes. So you could be on the road by 2:30.

Check the Nicoya Peninsula website and perhaps you can find a convenient stopover point if you decide to get on the road right away. I suggested Playas del Coco because it's really close to the airport (about 30 minutes) and not that far from the highway you will be taking to Santa Cruz.

Also - you have to consider that you will have been traveling for 7 hours or more so getting off the plane and driving in a strange country for 5 hours or so may not be the best way to begin your vacation. Tranquilo!

I think the Bego will be fine. I see a lot of them on the roads here and they are very economical. Mostly for a 4x4, you want the additional ground clearance which the Bego will provide.
Old Apr 22nd, 2011, 04:42 PM

www.nicoyapeninsula.com

It has been several years, but the one time we took the road all the way (along the east coast of the peninsula), it was incredibly rutty. Awful. Perhaps it is better--that was 5 years ago. We generally prefer the ferry from Puntarenas to Paquera. Not sure what hotels are in the Puntarenas area now (think there is an AI, Double Tree or something--used to be Fiesta).

It would be reasonable to drive as far as Puntarenas (take the Interamerican highway south from Liberia as if you are going to San Jose) and catch the ferry early in the a.m. Makes for an interesting experience, something a little different.

The website has info on the ferry schedules, etc. Liberia to Puntarenas, 2.5 hours approximately. It's an option, at any rate. . . . Have a great trip!!
Old Apr 23rd, 2011, 06:18 AM

Hi shillmac! The road you refer to is still bad, but not as bad as it was 5 years ago. I made the trip around that time too and the road was...'YIKES'! But I made the drive last July and it was better. Their little Bego will be fine as long as they don't try to go too fast!

I would agree that spending the night at Coco beach, or close by is probably best. You'll be tired and maybe hungry so why not start the trip with some relaxation, good food, drinks and sunset on the beach instead of having to stress about the bad roads and trying to find your way in the dark, which is not a good idea!
Old Apr 23rd, 2011, 10:33 AM

You can also head east from the airport and pick up the Pan American highway in Liberia. Turn right (south) and about 45 minutes later, you will reach Canas. This is also a good place to stop - La Pacifica is a working "hacienda" with bungalows and an excellent restaurant. You can arrange a rafting or float tour nearby on the Rio Corobici. You would arrive in Canas about 4 pm or so.

Puntarenas (and the ferry) is another two hours, more or less, so kind of pushing it to get "settled" and avoid driving after dark. There's not much between Canas and Puntarenas so if this route is appealing, I would recommend the stop in Canas.
Old Apr 23rd, 2011, 03:52 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone! This is all so useful.

Would Nicoya be a reasonable place to stay, do you think? I like the idea of staying at Coco Beach, but we'd like to get as much of the drive out of the way as possible because we're meeting friends in Mal Pais the following day (which was why we were even considering driving the whole route on arrival). We just want a clean place to go to bed early - nothing fancy or beautiful...
Old Apr 24th, 2011, 11:29 AM

There is a decent hotel in Nicoya...Hotel Jenny. It's near the end of the town, one block off the main street to the right. It's certainly not fancy, I don't even know if they have hot water, but they do have a/c and TV in the rooms. I've never stayed there but have a friend who stays a night ever now and again when he has business in Nicoya. There is a nice chinese restaurant about 1/2 block away on the other side of the street, next to a liquor store.
Personally, I would drive pass Nicoya and look for the little hotel on the main hwy, just a few minutes past the exit for Nicoya. It will be on your left. Have not stayed there either but they are fairly new and look nice.