Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page >

Cape Town Shopping - what did you buy on your visit?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22nd, 2011, 02:08 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are going to Cape Town and will be staying in the waterfront area. I saw an old thread from '03 but would like to know if there are some new shops that I can have a look and pick up some special gifts that reflect the South African culture. I saw on the Fodor highlights that there are unique handbags made by the South African Women, what are your thoughts.
Old Mar 22nd, 2011, 04:51 AM

Can't recommend specific shops, but the Red Roof (I think that's the name) craft center is great fun. There are also some interesting shops in the mall and in the Clock Tower. And check out one of the outdoor markets. There is one just a few blocks from the waterfront area.

There are lots of things to choose from - wooden carvings, beaded jewelry, table ware (silverware, serving pieces) with beaded accents, items made from ostrich eggs, batik table linens, and items made from recycled items (really cool stuff made from old Coke cans).

There are a ton of interesting items. I don't think you'll have any problems picking out gifts!!
Old Mar 22nd, 2011, 07:27 AM

If you like making jewellery and semi-precious gemstones go to The Scratch Patch. You can scratch through loads of polished stones scattered on the floor, and pay by the bagful. Children love this. The one I went to was one street back from the V&A wharf. I think there was another location on the Cape Peninsula too.
Old Mar 22nd, 2011, 08:36 PM

Streetwires - one of our favourites! CR

http://www.streetwires.co.za/
Old Mar 22nd, 2011, 08:39 PM

Another favourite:
www.avoova.com.
Very unique! CR
Old Mar 23rd, 2011, 05:09 AM

If you're feeling adventurous, try out the Khayelitsha Arts & Crafts market - they'll probably have exactly what you're looking for
Old Mar 23rd, 2011, 09:54 AM
Original Poster

Thank you - these all sound like great places. I agree Avoova looks very unique...
Old Mar 23rd, 2011, 12:47 PM

Take a drive out to Constantia on your first day, at theConstantia centre (on the pavement) you'll find a bunch of guys selling things made from beads. They are the artists. Negotiate with them and have them make up your own designs, collect them before you leave.

I picked up a few diaramas made of the township scenes, some needed minor repairs after the rigorous journey home, but they too are unique and special reminders of our time in the Cape.
Old Mar 23rd, 2011, 07:11 PM

The Scratch Patch at V and A waterfront( and also the one down at Simonstown) is a wonderful place to shop for inexpensive gems and minerals from SA and surrounding areas.

Personally I always bought out the Green Market(in down town Cape Town) with all of the great jewelry and other souvenirs. The necklaces and bracelots that I bought for less than $9 USD are so much more expensive back home.The compliments that I have gotten when wearing them has been many. They really make a simple T shirt dressed up!
Old Mar 25th, 2011, 02:30 AM

Picked up a cd from one of the bands playing round the Waterfront which is always very evocative.j
Old Mar 25th, 2011, 11:38 AM

We found most of the crafts to be junky, but did buy a candle holder from Avoova. Beautiful store, albeit pricey. Would love one of their mirrors one day. And they have a gorgeous bar made from ostrich eggs in the shop.