Super economy tickets on Blue Star

Old Feb 18th, 2011, 04:34 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Super economy tickets on Blue Star

So while I was cruising around the Blue Star ferry website I noticed under offers a special for €10 tickets from/to Piraeus and the islands. Hmmm, I thought to myself, is this something that I could get?

Given that we are a family of four on a budget, and after traveling to Greece after spending time in the UK, my thought was that this could really save us some money, but does it sound too good to be true?

So I emailed Blue Star and after we communicated for a few days, I was able to book tickets from Myconos to Piraeus for the €10 each. I also tried for the tickets from Piraeus to Santorini but they were no longer any available for the date that I needed as they are limited. Nevertheless, we managed to save almost €125 euros for just the one ride.

I'm pretty pleased with this find but wonder what the "cons" to this deal may be.....

What are your thoughts?
Old Feb 18th, 2011, 05:39 PM

I believe that you can only pick up these tickets directly from Blue Star in Athens, at the Amalias avenue office, at least tht used to be the case. No problem, if you are staying in athens first and getting tickets to go FROM piraeus to somewhere. My situation was... immediately on arrival in airport, I was flying out to Crete. The tickets I wanted were from Naxos TO Pireaeus. No Can do. I could not be at that office to pick them up.

And the €10 tickets are good only for "Economy fare/deck. " That is, you can sit on the deck, or in the chairs in the cafe (but u should be buyng something), or in chairs along a corridor. People who get the "regular" economy fare can add 4€ for "reserved economy" ... that is, they are entitled to a reserved indoor lean-back "aircraft-style" seat when they want to relax or snooze. The "super-economy" ticket holder cannot add €4 to get such a seat. When your trip is 4 or 5 hours, this matters. Of course, if it's way off-season and the ferry is half-full or less, probably they won't check your ticket if you slip into a "vacant" seat, but If you are in the busy season.. watch out. I once got plain "economy" before I even realized there was a "reserve" fare -- and on a full boat (sunday afternoon, bound for Athens) I was tapped on the shoulder by the rightful seat-holder waving his ticket. And then when I went looking for a chair on the deck, they were all taken. I ended up sitting in a crowded corridor just outside a restroom, for 3+ hours. not fun.

Therefore, if you are sailing in July or August (you don't repeat your trip date m'dear, always a thoughtful idea when starting a new thread), the deck is where you'll be. Take care to be at the ferry dock EARLY, and if some of you are y oung & spry, have them race aboard and up to the deck to save some good seats... the bench "booths" and or chairs by a "windscreen" are the best.
Old Feb 19th, 2011, 12:16 AM

This C&Ped directly from the Blue Star website:

"- SUPER ECONOMY: The offer is valid in Economy class, for limited number of tickets. Tickets must be issued upon booking, cannot be cancelled or converted to open date tickets or for another departure date. The ticket is issued in the passenger’s name, is personal and non transferable.
The “ SUPER ECONOMY” category cannot be booked through the On-Line Booking System."

I find it very strange you were able to do what you say, considering that "tickets must be issued upon booking", and that "the Super Economy category cannot be booked through the on-line booking system." That implies to me you must go to a Blue Star agent and buy the tickets on the spot.
Old Feb 19th, 2011, 07:52 AM

I was thinking the same thing.
Old Feb 19th, 2011, 09:36 AM

travelerjan,
I was told that I can pick up the tickets from the Blue Star ferry booth prior to my departure. I guess that part has changed and definitely makes the pick up of the tickets much easier. As far as not being able to reserve any seats, well...that part kind of stinks but given the savings, we will just have to deal as best we can. I will make sure the kids dash on board asap to try to get some of the seats you have recommended. Oh, and we are traveling late June, early July; specifically July 6 for the super economy tickets from Myconos to Piraeus.

Heimdall and BLL, yes the website does say exactly what you posted. So I found the contact link on the website and just sent them an email. Their response time has been outstanding as we emailed back and forth for a couple of days. I was told in the email that as long as the limited super economy fares are available, I can get them by pre paying for them only by calling their office or sending my credit card information to them by email (to which I did). I was given a confirmation number to take with me to the reservation office at the port to pick up my tickets before departure. And I did read about the restrictions of the tickets and hope that everything will go smooth and it will be a great find. On that I will keep you posted. I know that there are risks involved but am hoping that they do not come to fruition.
Old Feb 19th, 2011, 09:43 AM

Heimdall, I just want to add that by emailing the Blue Star office directly and by communicating with the agents, I did purchase the tickets on the spot and the tickets were issued to me on the spot because I already paid for them. I just did not receive them "on the spot".

Do you feel I am being "taken" or that perhaps I am not be honest?
Old Feb 19th, 2011, 09:53 AM

Blue Star is an excellent ferry company, and I guess they can break their own rules if they wish, but if word spreads that one can get Super Economy tickets by sending them emails, it may not last long. ;-) Congratulations on getting an excellent price! From what I know, there are no disadvantages in Super Economy except they are not transferrable. You sit in the same plastic garden chair-type seats as passengers paying the full Economy fare, or on the deck if there are no seats left.
Old Feb 19th, 2011, 09:56 AM

Thanks Heimdall! I too figured it sounded too good to be true, but I thought that there was no harm in trying, right?

I just wanted to pass along the information here as this site has been so incredibly helpful to me in the planning of all our vacations. : )
Old Feb 19th, 2011, 10:35 AM

I agree! No harm in trying, and for you it worked.

If you are taking Blue Star Ithaki from Mykonos to Piraeus, it will be a very enjoyable ferry ride. It stops at Tinos and Syros, where, from the stern of the ship, you can watch the cars, trucks, and passengers unloading and loading. It passes by several other islands, then rounds the cape at Sounia and makes its way along the coast to Piraeus. There is lots to see, and you will probably want to be on the outside deck the whole time.
Old Feb 19th, 2011, 06:32 PM

I guess the lesson is, nothing ventured, nothing gained! I follow that rule myself, not yet with ferries, but with small hotels.... in little matters of amenities.

Let's say, good room rates, but no breakfasts served, no mention of port pick-up. When I inquire, and they say YES they have availability, I e-mail back and say yes, we'd like 3 rooms and by the way, do you have an electric kettle or coffeemaker ... and is there any way you could meet us at the pier? Sometimes a coffeemaker, or the port pick-up is supplied. Never hurts to ask!