Search

where to stay/trip ideas

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10th, 2011, 03:57 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
where to stay/trip ideas

about a month ago I placed a post re: places to stay in Sydney ( i am going for 28 days mid-march to mid-april).

the response I got were great: Travelodge, Napoleon on Kent, YHA Hostel with ensuite.
I ended up making a reservation for 108/night at the YHA. 50/wk for broadband.

However, I recently discovered STAYZ and emailed a placed with a studio apartment on wattle street. They claim its 105/night and free wifi. also has tv etc with kitchen dishwasher. Its cheaper rate overall with better amenities than the YHA.

The reason I choose the YHA is its good location (near central sta) as I will be commuting 3-4 days/week to Cambpelltown (univ of western syd) for some work over 3 wks and I figured a decent tour desk.

This 28 day trip is also time for me to explore Australia. Planned on using apt/hostel as base and travel around country.
During the week I was planning on exploring Sydney: Bondi, Manly, climb harbour brisge, opera house, zoo. Will try a day tour to fit Blue Mnts in to see 3 sisters.

On the weekends I was planning on traveling to:
1) Melbourne (see Phillips Island and Great Ocean Road). probably via tours.
2) Uluru: will stay @ voyages and take aborigne tour. Will NOT climb Uluru due to signifcance. Will tour base, sounds of silence, and sunrise tour.
3) Port DOuglas: GBR/Daintree/Cape Trib. I figure I would use wavelength reef as I dont scuba, they only snorkel. Will take a tour to Cape trip/daintree and try to add in the rail/skyway near carins. wanted to add in a trip to Cooktown as there was a cool tour offered by Guurbitours (but don't think it will fit).

Anyway I am interested people's thoughts on where to stay and tour ideas.
Old Feb 10th, 2011, 02:46 PM

Campbelltown is a pain to commute to each day and I think I would be staying in Campbelltown during the days I worked there and transferring to somewhere in Sydney for the extended weekend or it you are leaving for a trip then you would not need accommodation in Sydney.
Campbelltown is 54 klms from Sydney Central station - also have you checked how far the station in Campbelltown is from Uni?
A lot of Universities in Australia have onsite accommodation for visitors at reasonable prices which maybe an option for you but I don't know what is available at the Uni of Western Sydney.
It would also be easier to get from Campbelltown to the Blue Mountains and also the Southern Highlands which is lovely depending on the time of year and your time will be nice.
Sydney to Cairns is about 3 hours flying time then add the extra time you need getting there and getting off etc. If you go then why not book with Pat Woolford at her Lilybank B&B and get all the best information and bookings on tours and trips from her as she would be the best of all guides for you about everything. I think the website is [email protected] but you can check that. She is always writing here about the north and between her and our other expert Alan, who is on the Atherton Tablelands they have everything covered.
Old Feb 10th, 2011, 06:54 PM
Original Poster

Mary-
I looked at the city rail timetable: its about 1 hour from central to campbelltown. easily doable for me as I am from metro NYC and that is my commute to work now.

I was thinking about staying in Campbelltown, and moving around, but that is just too much hassel. I want to use where I stay in metro Sydney as a base for my travels also, rather than moving- my entire luagage every 3 days btwn Campelltown and Sydney/somewhere else. Was only gonna take my laptop and a backpack. It also is cheaper to stay in Syd than campbelltown. Couldn't find anything at UWS.

Will check out Lilybank B&B.

thanks
Old Feb 10th, 2011, 07:41 PM

If you stay with Pat at Lilybank remember to tell her that you found the information on this forum 'cause that will keep her on her toes....................Hi Pat :0)
Old Feb 10th, 2011, 10:24 PM
Original Poster

will do. thanks for the ideas. other thoughts/ideas are always welcome.
Old Feb 11th, 2011, 03:33 AM

Pat is a mine of really good information .And reliably so.

Remember that the distances for your weekend jaunts always take more time than you allow .
Old Feb 11th, 2011, 05:28 AM
Original Poster

any thoughts on stayz vs yha?
Old Feb 12th, 2011, 03:31 AM

Are you figuring in the vast distances you are dealing with? Your 'weekend'tours to Melbourne, GBR and Uluru will have to be done by AIR if you keep a base in Sydney. Cooktown is 4 hours from Cairns by car (or tour bus). Will you have a car at all? Agree that Pat can send you anywhere in the north!
Old Feb 12th, 2011, 04:44 AM
Original Poster

i will be flying to those other cities from sydney. wanted to add in cooktown, but dont think i can fit it in.
Old Feb 12th, 2011, 11:39 AM

Cooktown is out I am afraid unless you have a car and want to do the drive. I have only been by sea, which was really nice but I don't think a 4 hour drive will be worth it.
Old Feb 12th, 2011, 02:49 PM
Original Poster

Mary-

you recommend staying in Cairns rather than port Douglas? Any specific Aborigine tours that you recommend.

I will also post more details about my itinerary the closer I get.
Old Feb 12th, 2011, 03:22 PM

Yes but I will try and see if Pat will suggest them to you on here but I would not book till you get there and firstly see how the weather is because if you have only 2 or 3 days in which to go to the reef then you won't want that to be on a day that is not nice. Everything else can be worked around that hense the reason for staying with someone who knows all about everything.
Old Feb 21st, 2011, 01:44 PM

I would probably choose the apartment in Wattle St if your luggage is easy to move about with. Wattle street is a bit of a walk from Central Station. I have used Stayz with no problems and the places I have booked have looked like the website suggested.

It could be a longish walk with luggage if you have to do it multiply times.