Maine

Old Jan 30th, 2011, 03:32 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Maine

I was interested in planning a trip to Maine with my husband in September. We have never been and always talked about having lobster in Maine. Would this be a good month to go to Maine? Any suggestions on "must see" and "must do"? Thank you.
Old Feb 8th, 2011, 05:40 PM

September is a terrific month to visit Maine. Less crowded and great weather.

Don't miss Acadia National Park.
Old Feb 8th, 2011, 05:48 PM

September to me is the perfect month to visit. Please use the search function here. There are many great threads and tons of great advice to find. And then ask more questions!
Old Feb 8th, 2011, 05:51 PM

Yes, it would be gorgeous to visit then. Our favorite area is the Acadia National Park. I always suggest people stay in a B & B, there would be some wonderful hiking at that time of the year, and in ANP there are plenty of other outdoor activities as well. One of our favorites was kayaking.
Old Feb 9th, 2011, 01:34 AM

If you are interested in organic gardening/living, the Common Ground Fair is in Unity, not too far from the coast. We visited during a weekend in Camden.
Weather in Sept is usually wonderful in New England so weekend trips are very popular. Make reservations well in advance for weekends in southern Maine and popular areas like Camden. Lobster shacks will still be open but some might be weekends only after Labor Day. Check websites for hours. Some of these places just have picnic tables on a dock and nothing much else but lobster but ... that's all you want. Maybe a bag of chips.
We prefer the mid-coast area north of Portland which is less crowded than southern Maine but sandy beaches north of Portland are rare. This is more the craggy coast area. We like to camp in Wiscasset which makes it convenient to explore north to Camden and south to Bath/Brunswick and all the good lobster places out on peninsulas. Take along picnic equipment and bag chairs to enjoy some quiet spots which you CAN find if you look hard enough. Even the top of Mt Battie can be a great picnic spot. (We take the auto road.)
Portland is a great city with an interesting Old Port area and some great restaurants. Also, good place to get out on the water. We took the mailboat cruise last June. Not a lot of narration but a great ride stopping at various islands in Casco Bay. If you want to do some hiking and the weather is good, a day trip to Monhegan Island is great. Again, take a picnic lunch to enjoy from some scenic spot along the cliffs.
Old Feb 9th, 2011, 05:24 AM

September's a gorgeous month to visit Maine. Things quiet down on the coast, plus the weather is great for outdoor adventures like hiking, biking and even swimming. You might consider a windjammer cruise if you like sailing. There's a fleet in the Camden/Rockland area that offers 3- to 6-day all-inclusive trips. You would definitely get your lobster, too, because they have a lobster bake on every trip. Acadia is also a must-see-and-do destination if you have time.
Old Feb 13th, 2011, 05:31 PM

I agree: Acadia National Park and Mount Desert Island are perfect in September. Places to stay range from charming inns to immaculate housekeeping cottages. I love to hike, bike, kayak, visit gardens (Asticou, Thuya), see the Bass Harbor Head Light...and eat lobster. Compare soft shell vs. hard shell -- I like the former better. And plan to go to lobster pounds more than once! But there are so many other terrific restaurants and micro-breweries. This is a good resource for where to eat and more in Acadia:

http://www.ouracadia.com