Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Chicago side trip in February - Grand Rapids maybe?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26th, 2011, 02:02 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a business trip to Chicago during February. I'm planning to stay over the weekend to do some sightseeing, and I'm trying to decide what to do. I've been to Chicago many times, and I can't think of anything that I really want to do this time other than go to the Art Institute again. I was wondering about going somewhere else. What's a good destination that won't involve a lot of travel? Grand Rapids/Holland looks interesting. Would that be a big mistake? Also, how should I plan for Friday afternoon/evening traffic out of Chicago to my destination (how early/late should I leave to avoid the peak of traffic)? I was once stuck in traffic at midnight in Chicago. I don't know if that road had special closures for construction at night or if it would have been busy at all times of the day. In any case, if it takes me 3 hours to leave Chicago, I won't be in the mood for another 3 hours on the road. I like the outdoors, but it will probably be too cold for me to stay outside too much. We like to visit museums and old houses. We like to shop for antiques and quirky finds, but I really want to do something more than shop on this trip.
Old Jan 26th, 2011, 03:16 PM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
I take it that you are driving your own car. You also don't say where home is. In February I think that Grand Rapids is in a "lake effect" snow zone.
You might be better off to go to the "Quad Cities" or even St. Louis if you have never visited the Gateway Arch.
Chicago traffic can be bad at any hour if the snow is bad and they are still collecting tolls every 3-5 miles.
Old Jan 26th, 2011, 05:04 PM

Honestly, not alot to see in GR, a couple of museums and that's about it.

Have you thought about seeing some of the attractions just outside Chicago, like the Frank Lloyd House and several of the homes he desiged in Oak Park? There's also a cute downtown in Oak Park with a few stores and even a movie theatre.

You might also think about the Lincoln Park Zoo and the Museum of Science and Industry if you haven't been there yet.

Have a great time.
Old Jan 26th, 2011, 06:34 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies. These are good suggestions. I am from Texas, but I will have a rental car while I'm in Chicago.
tomfuller - I think St Louis might be too far, but I will think about the Quad cities. I've been to Iowa before, but I don't remember if we made it that far east.
travelbuff - I've been to Oak Park, but I haven't been to the other locations you mention.
Old Jan 27th, 2011, 04:34 AM

Do you really want to drive through winter weather? If not, I'd suggest exploring some of the Chicago neighborhoods further away from the downtown area. Perhaps go north to Lincoln Square or Andersonville. Have lunch on Argyle Street, Devon Avenue or in Chinatown.

There is more in Hyde Park than just the Museum of Science and Industry. The Smart Museum of Art and the Oriental Institute are located at the University of Chicago.

If you feel uncomfortable doing these things alone, think about utilizing the free Chicago Greeter Service. You can specify the areas or the particular interests you have. But you have to make advance reservations.

However, if you are planning on leaving Chicago, wherever you decide upon, it will be more than a day trip. It will be at least an overnight trip.

You could consider Springfield, IL, as you can take Amtrak there and back. Or, if you are intent on driving through possibly bad weather, perhaps Galena, IL - 4-4.5 hours driving in *good* weather, little traffic.
Old Jan 27th, 2011, 06:14 AM
Original Poster

I did not know what to expect as far as weather and road conditions. I will probably have a 4 wheel drive vehicle, but it sounds like I should stay in Chicago. I'm glad I asked. I was planning to leave some time Friday afternoon and return on Sunday evening. I know there's plenty to do in Chicago. I just need to look in to some of these other parts of town a little further to decide.
Old Jan 27th, 2011, 07:26 AM

Weather and Road Conditions: Although you never know, they probably won't be good. Especially when you go through the snow belts in NW Indiana and near the western lakeshore of Michigan.

If you go to the City of Chicago's website, click the "For Visitors" section. It will take you via hyperlink you to the Explore Chicago website. On there, in addition to information about special events, etc., you will see much information regarding the various Chicago neighborhoods. Some of that I'm sure you already know, since you've been here several times. But you can learn about the other areas which you haven't explored yet.

There is also a free downloadable e-book available about them in case you are interested.

BTW, many of the neighborhoods in Chicago have their own websites. Once you decide on which you might want to explore, do a little search and pull one (or more) up. There's usually a lot of information on them, including special events, dining and entertainment venues, even tours of historically- and/or architecturally-important buildings and areas.

But do consider the Chicago Greeter service when you are visiting here.
Old Jan 27th, 2011, 09:27 AM

FWD vehicles really don't help as much as everyone thinks and if you're not used to driving in snow, I wouldn't take the chance.

Since you say you may have a FWD vehicle, it sounds as though you're renting a car. If you're not driving into the city, I'd advise against getting a car. Most areas are accessible via public transit and a car is more of a headache than it's worth. Parking at most hotels is around $50 per night and street parking is strictly enforced 7-days per week.

You've received some great suggestions about neighborhoods to explore. However, if you feel you must leave the city, in addition to Springfield or the Quad Cities, another possibility is Milwaukee. It's only 90 minutes north via Amtrak.
Old Jan 27th, 2011, 01:27 PM

Another possibility is Madison, WI.
Old Jan 27th, 2011, 01:57 PM

Stay in Chicago and drive to sites that require a car! Historic and museum sites to see (in addition to the Frank Lloyd Wright Studio and House in Oak Park):

http://www.charnleyhouse.org/
http://www.gowright.org/
http://www.ilholocaustmuseum.org/
https://www.imss.org/ (Museum of Surgical Science)
http://caf.architecture.org/page.aspx?pid=592 (Chicago Architecture Foundation tours)
http://www.cantigny.org/museums/firstdivision.aspx (Cantigny WWII Museum)

Have fun and get a warm coat!
Old Jan 27th, 2011, 11:15 PM
Original Poster

What about factory tours? I see that Eli's Cheesecake has one. Would you recommend that or any others in Chicago area?
Old Jan 28th, 2011, 06:26 AM

Another option is Milwaukee, WI. Depending on your interests you would find a lot to do in the two days. Here are some options:

Brewery tours-There are several to choose from.
Harley Davidson Museum
Milwaukee Art Museum
Public Market

Though it will be cold in February you may want to walk around the Historic Third Ward and Brady Street area.

Traffic will be packed on Friday, but it a good close destination. I also agree Madison, WI is another good place to visit.