Alice Springs and Uluru in July 2010

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 25th, 2010, 03:18 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The queue at the Qantas counter at Wellington airport was buzzing with excitement even though the counters didn't open until 4:00 am. Checked in, then to the departure lounge and waited and waited and waited . . . 5 hours later our flight took off, too late for us to connect with the flight to Alice Springs. Never mind, we had the rest of the day and the night in Sydney to enjoy. Oops, change of ideas as lots of rain put paid to exploring by foot.
Next day we made our connecting flight and duly arrived in Alice, to their coldest day in history at 6.3 degrees C! And boy, was it wet. My contacts in Alice had warned me the rains had come for a visit in January and were enjoying themselves so much they were reluctant to leave.
We checked into the Crowne Plaza, to a mountain view room. Not a large room but certainly adequate for holidaymakers who intended to spend every waking moment exploring. The bed was very, very comfortable as was the chair at the desk where I spent time every night keeping in touch with the family via my travel diary. DH found the couch very comfy if the regular gentle sleeping sounds were anything to go by! Although it cost $10 for 2 hours, the internet was faster than we have at home This seemed to be a reasonable price when I looked around. (At Uluru it was $10 for 1 hour, and you had to go to a designated area.) The room was showing the odd sign of wear and tear - paint knocked off edges - but was kept very clean. We didn't hear any noise from other guests, either.
Once we had admired the MacDonnell Ranges and the waterlogged golf course it was time to head into Alice Springs for some lunch and to look around. The less said about lunch the better, Apart from the meal being insipid and ho-hum, DH literally choked on his. Thankfully another guest came to our assistance after the manager ignored my pleas for help. (He was standing right beside us, and turned away when I asked for help, then had the gall to say he didn't realise there was a problem!) Not an auspicious start.
We wandered up and down Todd Mall, looking in some of the little galleries, and of course the souvenir shops, whose merchandise ranged from mediocre to good quality. In Todd Mall is Adelaide House, one of the earliest buildings in Alice Springs, built as the first hospital, and containing a unique air conditioning system . We always intended to go back and have a look through the museum in there - next year's agenda now. The John Flynn Memorial church is next door, although it is not as old. We had to dodge the rainspots as we wandered a couple of blocks along Gregory Street, and down the other end of Todd Street. The Information Centre is in Gregory Street, and worth a visit. It was very busy while we were there.
Checking in with one of the two tour companies we had booked day-tours with confirmed what we suspected - all tours off due to the wet weather. The other company had also cancelled their tours. We tried to bring forward a day the car rental but it was not possible. Fortunately taxis are not too expensive so we would still be able to look around.
On our way into Alice from the hotel the taxi driver took us the long way round as the direct route, Tuncks Road, was closed due to flooding. It was open when we came back but there was still enough water to create quite a wash as cars drove through. Was this a positive sign?
Back at the hotel we perused the list of activities we were interested in doing around Alice, and prioritised those that did not require a car to get there.
Old Sep 25th, 2010, 04:16 PM

Looking forward to more. Brings back memories!
Old Sep 25th, 2010, 04:55 PM
Original Poster

I won't bore you with a day-by-day commentary but rather comment on the different activities we did.
I would just like to say I am staggered so many people just fly into Alice for a day en route to Uluru, thinking there is nothing to do in Alice. Even having our trips cancelled, we still found plenty to do to fill our days, and could have done with a couple more.
Desert Park - in OurHO a place well worth a visit. It is about 10 minutes out of town, and well-camouflagued against the ranges. Make sure you remember your jackets if going in the winter!
We collected an audio guide, which provided a bit of background to different displays and points of interest. The Birds of Prey display was interesting and informative. I'm sure some of the birds are trained to 'stay on the wing' long enough for people to take action photos. Wandering through the park we were impressed with the way the birds were housed with plenty of information to help identify the species in the enclosures. One enclosure was walk-through, and that was a real treat. I spent a good 10 minutes being very up-close-and-personal with a masked woodswallow. I have some amazing photos of this cute little bird who was fluffed up because of the cold, and I'm sure that is why I was able to get within 70 cm of him. It was probably thinking, "Stupid woman, I guess I had better humour her so she has something to tell her family about!" (I think this day the temperature reached 9 degrees C)
The Nocturnal House was another source of interest with many unusual animals I have read about but never seen. Finally I know what a bilby looks like in real life. A little boy beside us said to his mother, "We don't have an Easter bunny, we have an Easter bilby!" We probably spent an hour in there studying the creatures. Outside, it weas interesting to see the different flora I have read about, and pass anthills of varying sizes.
The Desert Park is not just about birds, but also the type of lands in the area of Alice Springs. A very informative place, and one I could go back to again. We were there for nearly five hours, and it didn't seem anything like that.

Back into Alice, and lunch, then to the Reptile Centre. This too is an amazing place, housing geckos, lizards, snakes, a saltwater crocodile, a frill-necked lizard, a perentie who was pretending to hide, goannas, including a special goanna called Frank the Spencer's goanna. He just sits in the middle of the floor and allows people to stroke his back! We were there when a show was about to start so we filed in with everyone else to watch. I thought it would be ho-hum but in fact the young girl was very informative about the different reptiles, and explaining how to hold the different reptiles - she had Frank, a blue-tongued lizard, an olive python, and a couple of others. She also said if we were unfortunate enough to be bitten by a snake don't do what they do in the movies but leave the area untouched so the attacker can be identified. At least I know what some of the yucky snakes up here are - mostly venomous and looking like sticks of wood!!

Once we had the car we were able to go further afield, and we did. We drove straight out to Glen Helen Gorge in the West MacDonnells, a drive of 132 km along Larapinta and Namatjira Drives through 60-odd floodways, three of which had significant levels of water on them. From the lodge it is a short, easy walk to view the gorge. Several people had crossed the Finke River to try to get closer to the gorge entrance but from where we were it was impressive.

From there we retraced the main road to the Ormiston Gorge turnoff. People camp out here, as they do at GHG but other than a toilet block there are no facilities. There are lots of walks to do but because of the heavy rain some of the tracks had been damaged, and on one of them swimming was required to get through! We decided to do the Ghost Gum Lookout walk which did not require swimming, and was only 20 or 30 minutes one way, depending on which of the two close-together signboards you looked at! DH made it to the top but my legs just would not go those last few metres upwards. I made the mistake of looking down the steep cliff. Even still, the view was pretty amazing. When we were down on flat land again we walked to the Waterhole. Wow! that was pretty beautiful, with many ghost gums through the short walk and a lovely stream beside the path.

Back on to the main road to the Ochre Pits. The Aborigines used this area, and we suspect they still do so, to collect the ochre for their body paint. A simple walk into the pits, thank goodness. You are able to walk along the creek edge to get a closer view of the cliffs, but you must not climb on or remove any of the ochre. The cliffs are striated in many different colours, not just the usual yellow, red and browns, although our photos don't seem to have done them justice.

We had to drive past the turnoffs to Serpentine Gorge and Ellery Creek Bighole as they were unsealed, so our next stop was Standley Chasm. The best time to visit this place is at midday when the sun is overhead, and the walls of the chasm are afire with colour. However, that was not possible on this day, and it was 4:00 pm when we arrived there. We talked to a couple about our age who said it was quite difficult with crossing the stream and slippery rocks, but they made it. Again the signage gives you two different time frames for the return trip. What an incredible separation of rocks. Because of the heavy rains it was not possible to go right through the chasm - which is not very long - but what we saw was impressive. It certainly would be striking at midday - perhaps next time.
Because of the time we decided to leave Simpsons Gap until the next morning.

We travelled the short distance along Stott Terrace then Larapinta Drive to Simpson's Gap. The drive is about 8 km in, and then a short walk to the Gap - well as far as you can go. Oh boy, there was a bitterly cold wind blowing although it was warm in town. However, with the sun catching the top of one of the cliffs it was a very impressive sight. We probably spent about 45 minutes there, hoping to see some of the black-footed wallabies but knowing it was too cold for them. I reckon they were sitting in the holes in the cliffs laughing at the many silly humans below them out in the cold. There were quite a few people wandering along admiring the scenery and in awe of the cliffs.
Old Sep 25th, 2010, 04:56 PM
Original Poster

The Ghan Museum is worth a look, especially the history of the development. There is a train outside the museum and you can have a look inside at the kitchen and dining carriage. What a trip that would be.

The School of the Air had a special interest for me being a teacher. They cover 1.3 million square kms, and have 133 children on their register.

We wandered through the Mbantua Gallery, which is deceptively larger than it appears. Definitely worth a walk-through.

Another place we wanted to visit was the old Alice Springs Telegraph Station. What an interesting place that is. It was a pity it was wet as you had to walk between the buildings. This is basically where Alice Springs began. There is a beautiful waterhole from which the Station took its name. To quote the guide map we were given on entry: "The Alice Springs Telegraph Station was midway along the Overland Telegraph Line from Darwin to Adelaide which played a key role in Australia's development. Opened in 1872, the line suddenly reduced the isolation of Australians from the rest of the world. The exchange of personal and business messages now took hours instead of the months it previously took by sea.
In 1900, this very isolated Station was home to a cook, a blacksmith-stockman, a governess, four linesmen-telegraph operators plus the Station Master and his family.
The Telegraph operator had to receive and repeat confidential messages - of births, deaths, world news - never gossiping about it, just quietly 'reading' the Morse code with his ears and 'speaking' it with his fingers. With long or short taps on his Morse key the Telegraph operator sent coded messages of electrical pulses to the next station on the line.
This guide describes the buildings and operation at the Alice Springs Telegraph Station as it was between 1895 and 1905. It is the era's most intact Telegraph Station, and the Parks and Wildlife Commission protects it as solid evidence of the lonely lives led by the pioneering men and women who first established Australia's telegraphic lifeline to the world."
Everything on the Station is well-maintained. Several of the buildings - the blacksmith's place, the stationmaster's residence, and the battery room were all closed off but you could see through windows or glass doors what life had been like.
The Alice Springs waterhole was named “Alice” by the overland telegraph surveyor, a Mr W.W.Mills after he found it on 11 March 1971, after the wife of Charles Todd, the Postmaster General and Superintendent of Telegraphs. It isn’t really a spring but a depression in the riverbed where some water gets trapped on top of some granite.
The battery room supplied power from batteries to the Post and Telegraph office, while telegraph lines went into the PT office from both Darwin and Adelaide.
The P & T office was originally a home until the late 1880s, then when the station became a children’s home it became the hospital and clinic. Central Australia’s first Post Office was originally housed in what became the Station Master’s kitchen, opening in January 1878. The equipment was moved into the new P & T office in the late 1880s. Up until 1932 people from Alice Springs had to come out to the P & T office to send and collect their mail. If you ever come to Alice Springs this is a place well worth visiting.

One upside of having trips cancelled was we had the opportunity to attend the Imparja Camel Cup Day. What a giggle! Camels are not very fast, especially those that turn around and appear to be heading in the opposite direction, or those who lose their riders and decide to carry on at a slow trot. In the second race one of the camels sat down on the job and appeared to be having a sleep! Great cheers erupted when he finally got going again.
It is a real family day, with many food and market stalls around the grounds. Inbetween the races were human races - Kids Kamel Kapers with the children riding a hobby-camel; rickshaw races - and Mr and Miss contests, as well as belly dancing demos. We would certainly recommend the event to anyone. It is a Lions fundraising venture to raise funds for different charities in Alice Springs.

In the preparations for our trip I had become friendly with one of the tour operators, who we met up with, and who kindly invited us to their home for dinner on our last night in Alice. Before dinner we were fortunate enough to be taken out as far as Corroboree Rock on the East MacDonnells road, calling in at Jessie and Emily Gaps on the way back into town. It was drizzling, but that added to the mystique of Corroboree Rock. A quick detour into the grounds of Heavitree Gap Lodge allowed us to see some rock wallabies gathering just before dusk to be handfed.

Next post, Uluru.
Old Sep 26th, 2010, 04:21 PM

Hello Dotty
I am very pleased you enjoyed your day at the Desert Park. Today is much warmer - in the mid 20s so very comfortable. Thank you for the great feedback on the Park.
Gary Fry
Director, Alice Springs Desert Park
Old Sep 26th, 2010, 04:57 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
THANK YOU, Dotty! I'm over the moon to see someone finally stopping, looking & listening around Alice Springs! Isn't it a fascinating place?

I'm sure I sound like a broken record, imploring people not to just walk from the airport to their rental car/tour to go straight to Uluru, when a day or 3 can add SO much dimension to the Australian experience.

Sitting here smiling from ear to ear, enjoying your report very much & waiting for the next instalment.
Old Sep 26th, 2010, 05:16 PM

Hi Dotty,

I'm enjoying your posts. Here's another thumbs up for Alice Springs too. It's a shame you didn't get to see much of Ormiston Gorge - that is my DH's favourite spot (well one of them) - we've been twice and the camping there is great not only toilets but hot showers as well - always a bonus. The walk is beautiful.

Well, quite frankly it's all beautiful out there.
Looking forward to more.
Old Sep 26th, 2010, 05:31 PM

I have to be honest Dotty and tell you that when we were there in June/July 2002 I could have sworn that WE had the coldest day ever at minus 7C.

I'm checking it out - I could have sworn it was minus...I guess I could be wrong....will let you know.
Old Sep 26th, 2010, 06:02 PM

The table got a bit scrambled once I pasted it but you can see from the Australian Government Bureau of Meteorology website that on 30th June 2002 Alice Springs had a
-6 day with the previous coldest being
-5.2 in 1989 - with the 60 representing years of records.

Lowest Daily Minimum Temperature for June
Station Actual Date Previous Lowest Year Years of Record
°C °C
Queensland
Palmerville 6.0 3 6.1 1965 38
New South Wales
Coonabarabran -7.2 27 -7.2 2001 37
Wilcannia -2.8 30 -2.5 1998 45
Northern Territory
Wave Hill 2.0 4 2.2 1976 27
Alice Springs A/P -6.0 30 -5.2 1989 60
Kulgera -4.0 29 -3.8 1982 21

I'm not sure but when I google for Alice's coldest day nothing comes in the minus. I feel like I'm missing something....I AM blonde!

It just sticks in my mind because we were actually camping! It was fffffreezing.
Old Sep 26th, 2010, 06:35 PM

Okay so this link confirms what I thought.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems/200206/s594809.htm
Old Sep 26th, 2010, 11:03 PM
Original Poster

Bokhara2, we just loved Alice Springs, so much so we are going back next July for 5 full and two half days after tripping round Darwin, Kakadu and Katherine. Part of that time we will hopefully spend doing the tours we organised this year but couldn't do. I was talking to a friend on Saturday, also from Wellington, who with her DH has just visited Alice for the 3rd time in 2 years! They too love Alice, and have visited the Desert Park every time!

stormbird, it's quite obvious to me that someone, or lots of someones, in Alice had forgotten about the freezing cold temps in 2002. I stand corrected, and rightly so.

When at Ormiston we did walk along the river towards the gorge as far as we could go, and got some awesome photos of the reflections at the end of the river. I didn't realise there were showers there - we thought it was just toilets, another thing I stand corrected on.

I'm with you, stormbird and Bokhara2 - there is so much to do there in Alice. One of the tour operators we dealt with gets so frustrated when people say "I have a day in Alice and I want to see everything!" A bit how I feel about Wellington, I guess. It isn't always windy or wet here but that seems to be the general perception of this fine city. Off my hobby horse now!
I will continue with the report tomorrow.

Thanks for your cool and positive comments, people. It's what makes the time taken to write a report worthwhile.
Old Sep 26th, 2010, 11:25 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Kiwi Wellington, dottie?

I think it's absolutely charming, although I've unfortunately only been there for a week, back when we were all skinny little things in cheesecloth maxi dresses & platform shoes

Might be time for a re-visit!
Old Sep 27th, 2010, 01:34 PM
Original Poster

That's about the time I came back to live in Wellington, this time as a young adult and not a young child, Bokhara2!! You would notice a vast change in Wellington.

A couple or three items I forgot to mention before.
Not far out of Alice on the road to Glen Helen Gorge is a memorial to John Flynn. It was an informative stop, especially for those of us who are not overly familiar with John Flynn and his exploits. I knew he was the founder of the Flying Doctor service but not of his work with the bush men and women and the church.
A bonus was to see many large wild budgies in the trees around the memorial. For several years I had budgies in my classroom, none of them as big as the wild birds! It was the only place we saw budgies in the wild.
We noticed that some parts of the MacDonnell range on the left driving towards Glen Helen looked like a high long cake with thick overdry icing on top - the cooks among you will know how dry icing has little fissures in it. This is exactly what the range looked like. We were intrigued and wondered what may have caused this "out of place" range top.

We took a drive up Anzac Hill to see what was there, and to give us an overall perspective of Alice. It was interesting to try to locate places we had been to, and streets we felt we had become familiar with.

Hartley Street is also worth a walk down with its restored buildings. Most of them have a signboard explaining what the building was originally.

We were surprised to realise that while in Alice and Uluru / Ayers Rock we saw NO wildlife in the wild other than birds and one solitary dingo on the road to Uluru!

And a big smack-on-the-wrist for me for a terrible spelling error - camouflaged! When re-reading this morning I cringed when I realised my mistake.

Uluru coming up.
Old Sep 27th, 2010, 03:13 PM
Original Poster

We chose to travel to Uluru / Ayers Rock with a reputable if slightly more expensive tour company as in past years we have had good experiences with them - and it was a good choice. We had an extremely informative driver with a great sense of humour.

We were picked up at our hotel at 6:55 am. That was good timing because I was able to watch the final of the World Football Cup.
First stop on the way was at Stuarts Well Camel Farm (where the Imparja Camel Cup winner came from) for brekky and a quick look around. There are camels, alpacas, llamas, kangaroos, emu and a tame dingo, who appeared to be camera-shy. Some people chose to have a quick camel ride while there. I chose to have a very large Anzac bikky so I COULD have a look around instead of sitiing inside. It reminded me of the brekky I had my first ever morning on Australian soil - pumpkin soup at an interesting little cafe in Kings Cross!

Second stop was at the Mt Ebenezer Roadhouse for morning tea. We had a quick coffee, bought our lunch on the driver's suggestion, and had a look at the artwork, postcards, and mementoes. There is a wide range of local Imanpa community paintings and carvings. I think I am right in saying that the Imanpa people also own the large cattle station on which the roadhouse is situated.

As we progressed towards Uluru the weather became very misty in parts, especially near Atila / Mt Conner, which meant we were not able to stop and see this monolith that is often mistaken for Uluru.

On our journey we learnt about the 6 large cattle stations, the many exploits of one John McDouall Stuart and his influence on the Northern Territory especially, the Desert Oak trees aka Allocasuarina decaisneana, the Fincke River.

One sad note was to learn that two people had been killed that day on the same road we had travelled on. A sober warning to those travelling this route to be alert, have regular rest stops, and adhere to the speed limits.

It was quite exciting driving into the Ayers Rock Resort, purely because I thought it was an area of Australia I would never visit.
This resort is not as I imagined it would be. The resorts I have seen usually have high walls around them, and large gates announcing themselves. Not with Ayers Rock. True, there is a low wall, but I couldn’t see any gates – in fact as far as I could see the only sign announcing the resort was a small but fancy signpost opposite the entrance. The different hotels within the complex (all run by the Voyages group, who have the monopoly on accommodation here) are spread out around the vast grounds. In about the middle of the main group is a very small, limited shopping centre, a cafe and a restaurant. Either side of the path from the bus-stop to the shopping centre is a flat well-manicured lawn surrounded by trees on all sides but the path side. At the end of the path there are cleverly disguised recycling bins.
In the centre of the resort complex is a sandy wilderness with lots of desert oak trees and spinifex bushes, and criss-crossed with walking tracks that link all the accommodation places to each other. On our last morning it took us no more than 15 minutes to walk to the shopping centre from our motel – that was with my steadily-improving knee (will explain further on) and stopping to check plants out, as well as to take photos!
There is a road around the complex that separates the accommodation from the wilderness, and a free shuttle bus approximately every 20 minutes travels this route stopping at designated spots. Considering the laid-back atmosphere of the resort I guess you could probably flag the bus down if you were between stops.

We were dropped at The Outback Pioneer Lodge where we were to stay for two nights. Everyone seemed friendly, and the young man showing us our room was very pleasant and chatty.

There was no time to explore between settling in, having lunch and when we were to be picked up for our Kata Tjuta and Uluru sunset tour. The driver was the same person we had on our trip down, and he was just as informative about the Uluru area as he had been earlier in the day.

The trip out to Kata Tjuta was across flat red land punctuated with more Desert Oaks, spinifex and other low-growing scrub. Every so often we would get a glimpse of the formation known as Kata Tjuta, originally called The Olgas. As we got closer the weather was very doubtful, and it appeared as if it would rain. Normally the bus pulls into a spot where you can walk to a vantage point and view / photograph most of the heads of Kata Tjuta, but because of the weather we drove straight to the stop for the Walpa Gorge walk. This is an amazing, short easy climbing walk across large smooth rocks like a concrete path, and shingly-type small rocks, and across a couple of bridges. The two heads you walk between are immense, and nearly 100 metres taller than Uluru! The flora around the entrance to and in the gorge is many shades of green, creating interesting dimensions. I didn’t go right to the end as I was late starting off on the walk – busy taking photographs – but DH did get there. There is a big rockfall which makes it impossible to go any further, even if there wasn’t a sign telling you not to proceed past this point.
Once back on the bus we drove a little way down the road to a stop where we could get a good view / photograph of the Walpa Gorge side. This is where I made a costly mistake. I didn’t listen to what I am always telling the children at school – seats are for sitting on not standing on. To get a really clear view I climbed up on to a seat, and felt something give in my right knee, which was not the knee I used to climb on the seat. I took my photos, which I was pleased with, then had to get DH to help me down. Uh oh, I was unable to bend my knee, and did it hurt to walk! I made it up onto the bus, but of course when we stopped at the next vantage point I couldn’t get off the bus let alone walk the couple of hundred metres to the vantage spot. DH took some good photos for me though.

From here we drove to the entrance of the Uluru Kata Tjuta National Park where we had to wave our Park Passes to the guard, and then onto the bus parking area for the sunset viewing of Uluru. Each tour bus has a spot to park, and all provide nibbles and wine to enjoy during the sunset. We had the added advantage of a stool to sit on. We found a good possie by the fence which meant we would not have anyone in front of us. Lots of buzz and hum from everyone during the dusk. I must add here it was quite cloudy this evening. Everyone was friendly and chatty, and I think quite in awe of the unfolding masterpiece in front of us. It was suggested that we take photos at a regular interval to get the effects of the sun setting on Uluru. On re-looking at my photos yesterday it certainly provided interesting and varied views doing this. In some photos if it wasn't for the numbering of the photos you would wonder if they were out of sequence! Finally, the sun set and we headed back to our bus and to our accommodation.

Next instalment later.
Old Sep 27th, 2010, 06:12 PM

Dotty, can you advise the name of the tour company you used to get you to Uluru?
Old Sep 27th, 2010, 08:14 PM
Original Poster

stormbird, AATKings was the company. Very comfy coach, great driver, very smooth ride.

I realised I made a mistake in previous post. You enter the Uluru Kata Tjuta National Park before turning off to Kata Tjuta. Sorry to put you wrong.

(to finish off the last post)
We were dropped off at the shopping centre, where we went to the little but well-stocked supermarket to find something for dinner. Not a lot left at this hour of the night but we found enough to sustain us for dinner.
The free Resort shuttle bus came along after a couple of minutes and dropped us off at the lodge following an interesting detour through the complex. At night time the shuttle goes into the Camping Ground but stops outside during daylight hours.

Next morning we were up early so we could join at 6:20 our Anangu-guided Uluru sunrise tour combined with the Liru walk. (In the dark we were again asked to wave our passes at the guard at the Park Entry. Wonder if they saw every one of our passes!) It was cloudy and cool, but well worth the early start. (on that particular morning there were at least 20 other tour coaches / mini-buses as well as cars disgorging hopeful observers braving the chill.) Unfortunately, even though it rose, the sun didn’t reach Uluru as it was quickly gobbled up by the large waiting clouds. The sun rising through the clouds was well worth a few photos, though.

With us all back on board the mini-bus, the driver skirted around Uluru towards the Cultural Centre and breakfast. On the short trip he talked about a few of the creatures in Aboriginal mythology who were an important part of Uluru. I caught the occasional reference to the Rainbow Serpent, and caterpillars. I was intrigued with the different parts of Uluru we were seeing. I had always thought it was a fairly smooth rock but it has many nooks and crannies, folds and gouges that create an incredibly interesting façade.
Breakfast was upstairs in the Ininti Café, where you had great views of Uluru. We were presented with an amazing continental breakfast with a great choice. Cereal, fruit, yoghurt, hot dishes, toast and jam were just some of the offerings. Their Danish pastries were to die for, BTW. Lovely fresh fruit juice and good coffee rounded the breakfast.
When finished we all met out the front of the Cultural Centre and met the two tour guides. One was an Aboriginal man, and the other an interpreter. I got the impression the Aboriginal man normally spoke English but when guiding tours used his native tongue, hence the need for an interpreter. On the tour the group retraced the footsteps of the Liru ancestors through the bushland near Uluru, and heard the story of the Blue Tongue Lizard Man. They watched a demonstration of some bush survival skills, including making bush glue and fire, and throwing a spear. Unfortunately, because of my knee I was unable to participate in this experience but again DH took photos for me. I had an informative 90 minutes or so slowly struggling through the Information Centre, the Tjukurpa Tunnel - most definitely well worth a walk-through and a read of all the information on the walls - through the arts shop, then the Souvenir shop and finally relaxing with a cup of coffee.

Back to the Ayers Rock Resort, where we were dropped off at our accommodation. We had a quick cuppa and realised we still had at least three hours before our next tour so there was plenty of time to go have a look around the shopping centre and perhaps some lunch. We waited outside for the shuttle bus, and enjoyed a tiki tour around parts of the complex we hadn’t yet seen. Up till about 12:30 the shuttle bus calls in at the camel farm which hosts a variety of treks, etc. Although I was aware there was a camel farm nearby I hadn’t realised it was within the complex until then. It is the base for Uluru Camel Tours, who provide 5 different options for indulging your camel-riding desires!

At the shopping centre we visited the book / stationery shop that had some interesting books, including some that just jumped into my hand and said “Buy me! Buy me!” Outside the next shop was a young European man playing a didgeridoo to a crowd of attentive listeners. What a talent, and how he made that didgeridoo sing. I have heard several didgeridoo players on my many visits to Australia, and he would certainly be among the best. We looked around the two souvenir shops -I was looking for a walking stick or something similar that would give me support and help me walk a little faster so I could do the afternoon walk. No luck, sadly -then headed to the large café on the corner for lunch.

We had to wait for a very long time for our lunch which was very ho-hum, and not very well cooked. Just how hard is it to cook cheese and onion toasted sandwiches, or serve a hot-as-opposed-to-lukewarm hot chocolate and tea?!
Again, the wait for the shuttle bus was not long, and we were back in our room before long. Time for a short rest, and then it was back to the bus stop for our afternoon tour bus.

This tour is called the Kuniya Sunset Tour. Again there was an Aboriginal guide and an interpreter who took the group through to the Mutitjulu Waterhole, to see the beautiful rock art, and again tell stories of desert survival. And again, I was unable to participate in this walk, and was bitterly disappointed. The path was flat and if we had had lots of time I probably could have made it, but I didn’t want to hold everyone up. Good old DH and his trusty camera. At least I was able to see what I had missed.

I spent the time with Emma, the mini-bus driver, collecting people from different activities and returning them to the Resort, before heading back out to the centre to collect the group and move on to the sunset viewing bus park. Cars have a separate area for viewing at Uluru. This evening was beautiful – not a cloud in the sky. Again people were taking regular photos during the dusk, and chatting to each other. We saw a few faces we are sure we saw the night before! The sunset was still amazing a second time. The light was quite different but also similar. As I said earlier about the previous night’s photos, if it wasn’t for the numbering you would wonder if they were in the right sequence. We were really privileged and pleased to have been able to witness two sunsets under quite different conditions.

Back at the Outback Pioneer it was decision time – what to have for dinner! We decided to follow the advice of a couple we had met on several occasions around the resort and on our tours – fish and chips from the Outback Pioneer Kitchen. I am not a F & C fan, avoiding them if at all possible. However, on this occasion it certainly was a good choice – the fish melted in the mouth, and the chips were not bad. This place is extremely popular, and in the time we were waiting they sold out of pizzas and a couple of other items!

In the morning I decided my knee was able to manage the walk to the shopping centre. I wanted to post some mail, and have another look in the bookshop, so off we set. It was a very pleasant trip, and at that hour of the morning – 8:40 – there were quite a few others walking too.
Missions accomplished we took some photos around the centre, then waited outside for the shuttle bus. After nearly 25 minutes waiting we thought we had better head back to the lodge as we needed to be out of the room by 10:00. Don't be caught like we were - the shuttle bus doesn't start until 10:30!!
We just made it, and moved everything across to the Reception centre. Beside this building is an attached lean-to known as the Outback Porters. Here you leave your luggage until your connecting trip to the airport is due to leave, when they will bring it out to you. I guess the main difference between these porters and flash hotel porters is their uniform – shorts and T-shirts! We were told the bus for the airport for our flight would leave at 11:45.
As we still had quite a bit of time, we decided to retrace our early morning steps partway across the centre wilderness to the Imalung Lookout. We slipped and slid through the deep sand up the low hill but it was worth it. Next time we'll walk those last few steps around the base of the hill and go up the proper path!
From up here you get a great idea of the layout of the resort plus views of Uluru and Kata Tjuta. Quite a few people came and went in the time we were there soaking up the view, the warmth of the sun and the feeling of wellbeing.
Eventually we returned to the porters, collected our bags, then waited for the airport bus. The time came and went, and after 10 minutes we spoke to the porter at the desk. Oops, we had been given the wrong time. However, the young man drove us out to the airport which fortunately isn’t very far away.

We were sad to be leaving as there were places we would like to have had a closer look at, and I would love to have watched the sunset at Kata Tjuta. I agree with my father who had been there 25 years or more before us - he and my mum found Kata Tjuta slightly more awe-inspiring and spiritual than Uluru. If I was planning our trip to Ayers Rock/Uluru with hindsight we would hire a car and spend at least an extra day or two there. And I would not stand on a seat to take a photo!

Looking out the plane's window as you leave Connellan Airport (Ayers Rock) is an amazing view. All you can see is red land interspersed with little clumps of green. Just incredible. It really does remind you that you have been to the stunning, wonderful Red Centre of Australia.
Old Nov 11th, 2010, 07:15 PM

dotty, when u were @ stuart's well, did u not see dinky, the world famous singing and piano playing dingo of central australia?
AndrewDavid
Old Nov 11th, 2010, 09:15 PM
Original Poster

HI, AndrewDavid,
Sadly no, the place we stopped at is not where Dinky resides and performs. I had thought we would see him on our journey but it was not to be. The musical and curious sides of me are hoping that when we go to Alice next July we can pop down to Stuarts Well to meet him.
Old Nov 13th, 2010, 12:27 PM

dotty, sad that u missed him. u can google him and watch him perform on video; there was a lovely ABC interview when he first became famous. he's very sweet
cheers
AndrewDavid
Old Nov 13th, 2010, 02:23 PM

"Kata Tjuta, originally called The Olgas"
Originally? Really?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -