Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Details, Details, Details....3 kids to Japan, am I crazy?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 17th, 2010, 09:33 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm down to the final details and realizing that I still have some questions and stuff to iron out. I'm hoping to get some help and some confirmation that I've got it right.

We're headed in November with three boys (12, 9, and 4). I know, crazy!
Our itinerary:
- Tokyo (4 nights), Tokyo Hilton, 2 rooms, Hhonors Gold
- Kyoto (5 nights), rental from VRBO
- Hiroshima/Miyajima (1 night)
- Hakone (2 nights)

My outstanding ???'s
1) I have iPhone (ATT) and DH has Blackberry(Verizon). I understand that both will WORK, but at prices close to $2/minute, I think it's probably best to rent as DH will need to be in touch with business. Right? As far as data, will I be able to use WiFi at hotel to check e-mail? I really don't want to haul my laptop over there. I can buy an international data package from ATT. Any advice? What about iPhone apps? Any recommended?

2) Planning on activating JR Passes for the day we're headed to Kyoto. Will concierge make seat reservations for Tokyo-Kyoto, Kyoto-Hiroshima, Hiroshima-Odawara? I think that those are the only legs where we'll need seat reservations. Correct?

3) Although Limo Bus is the most convenient method from Narita to Hilton, it's more expensive as we would get 4YO a seat and I'm worried about my children sitting still on a bus after the long plane ride. How difficult would it be to take the Narita Express to Shinjuku and find the Hilton bus? Should I just take the easy way and take the limo bus?

4) Miyajima: Lodging here is pretty expensive and with 3 BOYS, I'm considering staying in Hiroshima or Okayama that night. It might make me crazy to have my kids in a hotel where they would need to be super quiet when they are bouncing off the walls.:=) It happens.....

5) Hakone: I have the same issue with lodging here. I'm considering the Hilton Odawara as we have Gold status and some points left. They said they could book us in the Japanese Western suite for points plus some yen. The hotel looks great, but transportation to/from Odawara is once an hour. It would be convenient for our trip back to Narita. Any other recommendations for Hakone?

6) In addition to the general sights of Tokyo, Kyoto, Hiroshima, Miyajima and Hakone we're looking at trips to Yokohama, Nara, Ninja museum near Kyoto, and Kamakura. Given that we only have 3 full days in Tokyo and we're going to Kyoto, would you skip Kamakura?

7) no one was interested in Disney. Yeah!

Well, that's it for now. Just hoping the exchange rates get better before I buy my rail passes.

Thanks for all your help!!!!
Old Sep 25th, 2010, 06:49 AM

Miyajima is apparently (1) expensive, and (2) very quiet at night. Having three young boys there may disturb the peace for you and your fellow travellers. I stayed at the Granvia in Hiroshima, which is attached to the JR train station and made a day trip to the island. However, it depends on the rest of your itinerary as I had two nights in Hiroshima, which allowed me the whole day to go to Miyajima at a leisurely pace.

The other advantage of staying in Hiroshima is a greater choice of eating options and probably much less expensive than on Miyajima where they are more likely to serve traditional meals at a restaurant or ryoken. No point wasting all that money on a four year old who'd probably be just as happy with McNuggets!

Can't help you with phones as I took my Aussie mobile phone and netbook for emails/web.

I've often seen suggestions that Kamakura and Nara are somewhat interchangeable when time is limited. I chose Nara. There are lots of wild deer which roam free around the place that the boys might like. You can buy special 'deer cookies' to feed them. Nara can involve quite a bit of walking around (relatively flat), which may tire out the younger boys.

I didn't go to Hakone.
Old Sep 25th, 2010, 01:09 PM

if you have a Tmobile Blackberry, add on the the international data plan. Tmobile will prorate it for only the days in Japan. It is about $20/mo and you can receive and send unlimited emails.
Old Sep 25th, 2010, 02:06 PM

We (with 15, 13 and 8 year olds) took the NR Express and then the subway to our hotel in Tokyo. It was tricky but we still laugh often about it. Watch the deer at Nara. They really went after our 8 year old when he had the cookies. My wife interceded and a deer bit her on the ass.

Yes you can use wifi. Saves a fortune. We just did Greece, Turkey, Egypt and Spain and I didn't spend a cent on data for the Iphone.
Old Sep 25th, 2010, 04:37 PM

2) A concierge can't make JR reservations when a railpass is involved, as you need to take the pass to the reservation office and have it stamped before free reservation tickets can be issued. If you know your exact itinerary, get it all done when your pass is activated. Seat reservations are optional on Tokaido/Sanyo Shinkansen as all eligible trains have some unreserved cars. But for a family group, resrvation is recommended so that you can sit together.
Old Sep 25th, 2010, 07:37 PM
Original Poster

speckles - I agree regarding Miyajima. By that point in our trip my DH might want chicken nuggets too. :=) I'll check out the Granvia. It looks convenient. I think we'll do Nara from Kyoto and stick with the modern stuff for Tokyo.

lcuy - neither of us have Tmobile. I'll check with Verizon, I'm thinking Blackberry might be different than their regular plans. I'll robably rent a cheap phone for DH and rely on wireless for my iPhone.

colduphere - Sounds like a fun trip! The NEX/Suica is really the best deal and could be an adventure. Who needs to sit on a bus after a 12 hour plane flight? But, maybe we'll just 'call an audible' after we arrive. Thanks for the reassurance about the iPhone.

Alec - I thought I read somewhere about the JR reservations. But, I've read a lot recently, so I'm sure I mixed things up. :=) I'll just do it when I activate the Exchange Order.

Thanks all for you advice! I feel like I'm getting it all organized.