Search

tall tall order

Search this Thread

Old Sep 14th, 2010, 06:29 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
tall tall order

Hello,

I have a tall order to fill and need suggestions please.
I know the experts here on fodors can help me. We are looking for a AI in the Caribbean that we can get to with a direct flight from NYC that is under 5 hours long and some place that we have not been to these are the islands that we have visited Antiqua, T&C, St. Lucia Jamaica, Barbados, St. Martin, St. Barts, Riviera Maya, Cancun, Punta Cana. We would like a 4-5 star resort with some activities and a little nightlife something like the secrets resorts would offer. Thank you for your suggestions.
Old Sep 14th, 2010, 07:09 AM
KVR

Your right that is a very tall order. The Caribbean really doesn't offer AI resorts like what you will find in Mexico. Since you have already been to many of the Islands that offer the better AI's, it will quite difficult for you to find anything that is comparable to Secrets.

I guess I would suggest Sandals in Exuma or Nassau Bahamas. More pricey than Secrets. The RIU or Occidental in Aruba. Not as nice a Secrets.

There are a few AI hotels in Grenada, but they are very pricey and may require some addtional effort to get to.

There are a few AI's in Costa Rica. We are looking to go next year, but we'll be doing a non-AI package of several areas.
Old Sep 14th, 2010, 07:58 AM

Sandals in Exumas is a gorgeous property, but if you're planning in Dec or Jan, it can be cold! Keep in mind, while it's a gorgeous resort, it's 45 minutes to town, with nothing else around it, and not many activities at night.

Most 4-5 star AIs on the islands you have left to discover will not have nightlife or activities.
None will have direct flights.

You've seemed to have covered all the "direct flights from NY under 5 hours AI with activities" in the Caribbean.

There is a Sandals in Nassau, as KVR suggested, that might be your only bet. Or you could try La Romana (Casa De Campo) in Dominican Republic.

KRV, who I consider the true expert on AI in Caribbean, if KVR can't think of others, then no one can help you. ;-)

FYI, tons of islands in Caribbean aren't really the AI personality-and it seems like you've already been to the ones that have that personality and known for it. Are you interested in branching out, or want to stick to AIs?
Old Sep 14th, 2010, 03:12 PM

Checked any Breezes out?
Old Sep 14th, 2010, 05:04 PM
KVR

Thank you so much for you nice comment Blamona. I'm still thinking and I've been looking.

When we went to Curacao, we looked at Breezes. As much as we love AI properties, there was no way I was going to spend our hard earned money there. The reviews are beyond awful, and we really didn't want to stay at a hotel that was so kid friendly. We ended up at the Lions Dive just down the road in a 2 bedroom condo style apartment. Much less expensive than Breezes even paying for food and drinks at their 3 on-site restuarants.

We are at the point also that we've been to so many Islands, we can't find any other places to go that have good AI's. I still have Antigua and Barbados on our list. I wouldn't do AI in Aruba again. We keep returning to Mexico just because of the convenience and price. We are returning again in December and chose a modified AI hotel this time.

One of the things we have been considering is going to Barbados and doing day trips to the Grenadines and Grenada. It's much less expensive than just doing a 5-7 day vacation on each of those Islands.

How about Cozumel? Did see that in your list. Look at the Cozumel Palace, Aura Cozumel Wyndham Grand Bay or the Sabor Wyndham. They will be more like a Secrets. The latter two are pretty far from San Miguel, so a cab into town might be a little pricey. The Cozumel Palace is in town, but doesn't have a real beach. There is a man made beach with loungers and then a ladder to get into the water. It's beautiful resort though.

You might consider Vallarta Nayarit. It's outside of Puerto Vallarta. The topography is a lot like Jamaica, but the water is not a clear as the Caribbean side and the beaches aren't as nice either.

I would highly recommend Grand Cayman. The Marriott on 7 Mile Beach has an AI plan. It' won't be anything like a Secrets, but the Island is gorgeus and the snorekling, water clarity and beaches are fabulous.

I hesitate to suggest St. Thomas, USVI. We did the AI at the Wyndham, but it wasn't our favoirte Island and not great nightlife. The best thing we did was take the ferry over to St, John and a boat trip to the BVI's. If you are considering, go with the Marriott instead.

Actually, look up all of the Marriott properties in the Caribbean. Most all of them offer an AI plan. They are not like a Secrets, but will get you to a different Island.
Old Sep 15th, 2010, 07:05 AM
Original Poster

Thank you Thank you. I knew I would get the help I needed from my fodor friends. KVR I agree we went to breezes in Jamaica and would pass on going to another. I did want to try Curacao but travel agent said no direct flights that it would be about 7.5 hr to get there from NYC. Trying not to torture the husband with a longer flight. I agree after going to Mexico it is tough to find a AI like the ones they offer I guess that's why we all keep going back. I can not wait to look at the places suggested. Blamona thank you for your help I am open to non AI just usually pick them since they are easy with everything being included.
Old Sep 15th, 2010, 07:50 AM

I love KVR's suggestion of getting the AI plan at Marriott at Caymans, sounds like a winner to me.
Old Sep 15th, 2010, 07:53 AM
KVR

When we went to Curacao we flew from Houston, TX direct to Aruba and then Insel air from Aruba to Curacao on a "puddle jumper". It was 5 hours from Houston to Aruba and then 30 minutes from Aruba to Curacao. Though Curacao wasn't one of our favorites, we really did enjoy the Lions Dive. We also did an interative dive at the Sea Aquarium. No dive certification needed. It was pretty cool.

Let us know what you decide.
Old Sep 15th, 2010, 12:25 PM

I also travelled for over 7 hours combined to get to Curacao, but it was worth it! Yes, Curacao is not an island I would like to go aagain and again but it is pretty nice if you want something different. They have a nice Marriot there and KVR´s idea of using the Marriot AI plan is great!

Yes, let us know what you decide..
Old Sep 15th, 2010, 03:58 PM

Time of year was not mentioned so can only go by current schedules, Delta fly from JFK to Grenada once a week on a Saturday and Air Jamaica on a Wed am. The flying time is 4:45hrs. Not all AIs in Grenada are pricey, obviously depends on what you classify as pricey. Nightlife maybe limited however.

There are also alot of direct flights from NYC to Aruba, again under 5 hrs flying time. It is not necessary to go AI in Aruba since there is such a large choice of restaurants and there is definitely alot of nightlife.

The Marriott in Curacao is a really good hotel, on a great beach and close to Willemstad however one of the restaurants, Portofino was not that great. Like Aruba, it's not really necessary to go AI, restaurants are plentiful although not always on your doorstep. Curacao is a great island, very different.

American Airlines have a weekly direct flight to St Kitts, 4.5 hrs flying time. I've not been to St Kitts so cannot give any personal recommendation on properties, I don't think the Marriott is all that great. St Kitts is close to Nevis and there are definitely some great hotels there.

Bermuda, obviously not Caribbean, has beautiful hotels which offer meal plans eg MAP - depends on time of year as might not be great to go in Jan/Feb. Very beautiful and very very pricey.

If you are willing to change planes, you could get to Anguilla via San Juan and that would open up more options. Or just stay in Puerto Rico, although I hesitate with that as it's the only island I really did not like and have been twice.