International Driving Permit

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21st, 2010, 01:11 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will be visiting from the USA. Do I need to have an International Driving Permit to rent a car?
Old Jul 21st, 2010, 01:34 PM

If you search this topic you will find many threads on it. Basically, the law says you should, but most rental agencies do not ask for it. If you should ever get into trouble with the law or have an accident, you could wind up the proverbial creek. it's a question of risk/benefit - I would suggest it - I did and I felt it was worth the piece of mind. But honestly, you could do without it; many others have.
Old Jul 21st, 2010, 01:37 PM

You do not need it to rent a car but some countries require it. I'm not sure about Croatia but I would advise getting one. It only costs $23 including the photos and is good for a year. Well worth the money considering the inconvenience for you if you are stopped by the police and they cannot understand your license or if it is required in the country(ies) you visit.

There is a web site stating which countries require the IDP but it's not kept updated.
Old Jul 21st, 2010, 03:24 PM

Here's the government website which tells about the IDP.

http://travel.state.gov/travel/tips/...fety_1179.html

Some countries require it and some don't. If they do and you don't have one, you will most likely be fined. If you have an encounter wiht the police, you'll need it. I don't think you are going to Italy but once the car rental agent made me show mine and once they didn't, so you'd probably also want to check with your rental agency before leaving.
Old Jul 22nd, 2010, 06:58 PM

Concur with the above - for the record - I rented in Italy from Hertz and they did not ask for it. I was advised by my hotel keeper in Tuscany that the highway patrol does set speed traps on the Autostrada between Florence and Rome looking for tourii - I'd hate to think what would have happened if I got pulled over without the IDP. Again, many Fodors posters have stated they had successful trips without it, but for me, a very cost-effective piece of insurance. So I recommend it.
Old Aug 8th, 2010, 01:15 PM

You don't need one but it definitely came in handy when we got in an accident. It lists all your info in a variety of languages and makes things a hell of a lot easier. I would suggest anybody driving overseas have one. It wasn't very expensive but it was worth every penny.
Old Aug 8th, 2010, 01:34 PM

I don't understand the comment "you don't need one" as in some countries it is the law that non European drivers have an International Drivers Permit. Italy, Spain, Austria and Greece require it and perhaps more countries now too but I don't know for sure. Do check the law before driving in any country so that you are in compliance, Boats.
Old Aug 8th, 2010, 02:46 PM

But the question is about Croatia, so what is required in Italy doesn't matter. I would contact the Embassy or something to make sure, but I think it is required in Croatia to rent a car. They might be less familiar with English, also, so could be useufl.
Old Aug 8th, 2010, 03:58 PM

I don't believe an IDP in required in Croatia, but it is recommended. Lots of Croatians speak English.
Old Aug 8th, 2010, 04:21 PM

I was just investigating this myself for a road trip in Spain. It seems to me it is worth the money for peace of mind while traveling. Who wants trouble with authorities while on vacation?
Old Aug 8th, 2010, 05:52 PM

There are some countries - such as Italy - where the rental agency may ask to see it before giving you the car.

But the real benefit is if you are stopped by the police for any reason - they have a document they can understand. For all they know your US license is a library card or employee ID. (Do you think cops in Croatia know all of the 50 US states?)