Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Trying to organize excursions for our Amalfi Coast trip and need help.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8th, 2010, 08:05 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just spoke with Giancarlo from Tour of Italy. Since we need a transfer from the Rome airport to Ravello, on the way he suggested we see Pompeii. He then suggested we do a day excursion trip with them going to Sorrento and Amalfi. As far as seeing Capri he suggested we do it by boat. Which company should we use-the Hydrofoil from Positano, or Gennaro e Salvadore or the Amalfi Yachting Charter??? On the transfer back to the Rome airport from Positano Giancarlo recommended topping at Cassino and Reggia di Cossetta, both of which I have not heard from. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.
Old Jul 8th, 2010, 08:40 AM

Wait a second. Is he recommending that you stop in Pompeii on your way to Ravello AFTER a transatlantic flight?! I think that's nuts! Maybe I got it wrong? You'll be sleepwalking through the site if that's what he suggested!

About your other question: I'm not familiar with Amalfi Yachting Company, but as for the other two, it depends what you're looking for. If you want to tour Capri on your own, take the hydrofoil. If you want more of a guided/group tour, go with Gennaro e Salavatore.

And you third question, never heard of either place, so can't help. Sorry!!
Old Jul 8th, 2010, 08:54 AM

I agree! Pompeii after a long flight? (not to mention long drive) no way - I would not find that enjoyable at all.

Also, an "excursion trip with them going to Sorrento and Amalfi" seems, to me anyway, like a waste of money. Amalfi is very small - no excursion needed - just hop on the bus in Ravello like everyone else and go into town. Same, IMHO, for Sorrento. I haven't gone to Capri with either of those companies -I've always just shown up, bought a ticket, and gotten on the hydrofoil.

If I were looking for a stop between Positano and Rome, I'd probably stop off at the Royal Palace and Gardens at Caserta (although, Monte Cassino would certainly also be an option if it is something you are interested in.)
Old Jul 8th, 2010, 08:58 AM

Reggio di Caserta is the Royal Palace of Caserta - I'm assuming that's what you mean by "Reggia di Cossetta?" - that's what I was assuming anyway and yes, it is beautiful and worth a stop and would be my pick over Monte Cassino.
Old Jul 8th, 2010, 09:22 AM
Original Poster

We are going to Croatia first and then on to Rome. So the flight into Rome is not transatlantic only from Croatia to the Rome. So it's only 2 1/2 hours in flight from Croatia to Rome. Does that change everyones opinion as to whether stopping in Pompeii is crazy??? Also how long is the bus ride to Amalfi and Sorrento from Positano??
Old Jul 8th, 2010, 12:56 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Stopping at Pompeii would make for a long day, even if you're spending most of it sitting down. Presumably, you need to be at the airport in Croatia an hour before departure, then it's a 2.5 hour flight plus time to meet up with Giancarlo and another 2.5 hours to Pompeii. You're probably 7 hours into your day already.

We spent an entire day at Pompeii and didn't see everything. I guess if you just wanted a look-see, you could wander around for an hour or two. It's at least another hour from Pompeii to Positano.

Amalfi and Sorrento are in opposite directions from Sorrento. Personally, I wouldn't attempt to visit both in one day, even with a driver.
Old Jul 8th, 2010, 02:00 PM

Whether stopping in Pompeii is crazy or not depends on your hour of arrival in Rome. You need several hours in Pompeii (5, 6, 7, depending on your level of interest).
Frankly, I've no idea who Giancarlo or what Tour in Italy is, but based on his other recommendations, I wouldn't use him or his company at all. An excursion with a driver, from Positano to Sorrento and Amalfi?? Please tell me you are (or he is) kidding. Italy is not Iraq, you can perfectly go anywhere you want without a driver, by public transport or by rental car. Same goes for the transfer from Rome to Positano, of course. The most absurd recommendation is the one for the trip back. Montecassino is the most pathetic "sight" all over Italy: a historically (but not necessarily architectonically) important monastery that was totally flattened by WWII bombs - it has been rebuilt after that, and every single stone that you can see there now is as "historic" as 1950s or 1960s. Who would deliberately stop for such a nightmare? And the Caserta Palace, sorry CasaDelCipresso, but that's one of the ugliest baroque palaces anywhere IMO. It's interesting for anyone with a keen interest in baroque architecture, admittedly, but not for its beauty - just as a proof that baroque, at its very worst, was dwindling to elephantine mockery.
If you are looking for worthwhile stops south of Rome, look into Aquino (the point of interest is the baptism church of St. Thomas Aquinas, not because of that baptism, but because of its architecture), Anagni and, above all, Segni, all very close to the autostrada.
Old Jul 8th, 2010, 02:17 PM

The recommended itinerary sounds fishy. How long will you being staying in Positano? Then we can be more helpful directing you how to spend your time wisely, without suspicious suggestions. It is all very easy to do on your own.
Old Jul 8th, 2010, 02:40 PM

I think a lot of the suggested itinerary sounds bizarre, too. But I have to vouch for Tourofitaly, especially the dad, Giovanni. We've used them so many times for transfers and tours of the coas/Pompeii, but only when we had researched and figured out our own itinerary in advance.

There is absolutely no need for a transfer between Positano and Amalfi, which is all of about half an hour or less by bus or boat. And in the opposite direction, it's very easy to get to Sorrento on your own. Also only about half an hour or so away by bus or boat, depending on traffic.

I still think it's crazy to go to Pompeii after you've flown in from Croatia. As I remember, Pompeii is about a two hour ride ( I could be wrong?) from Rome, so by the time you get there, you've had a long day already.
Old Jul 9th, 2010, 10:58 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all your responses. I am definately not going to Pompeii on the way to Ravello now. Glad I checked with all of you first. I actually spoke to Giovanni's son becuase when I callled Giovanni it was hard to understand him so he told me to call his son, which I did. He was the one to recommend the Pompeii stop. I am still unclear as to how to get from Posiatno back to Rome the day before we fly back to NY as we are sleeping at the Rome Hilton by the airport since our flight leaves early in the mornig. I want the trip back to Rome to be filled with intereting sights, etc. and not just be a transfer back. I don't want to waste the day. Any suggestions??? Some people have recommended to take the train back to Rome from Pompeii but I think it entails 3 transfers and we will have our bags and I am not sure that is the way to go???
Old Jul 9th, 2010, 12:00 PM

Did you notice the three tips I gave you above for your way back to Rome? If you are going by car, with or without Giancarlo or whoever, they are close to the autostrada, and really worth visiting, not as much although but rather BECAUSE hardly anybody ever does.
Old Jul 9th, 2010, 02:00 PM

rjbriskin,

If I'm not mistaken, I am the one who suggested you find a driver on the Amalfi coast to help you organize a sightseeing itinerary, because you have 2 nights in Ravello, yes? And 4 nights in Positano -- but you want to also see Capri, Sorrento, Amalfi, Naples and Pompeii?

Once you are in Ravello and Positano, it is not easy to day trip to Pompeii or Naples unless you hire a driver to take you there and back.

So, if you want to see Pompeii but you don't want to see it on your way to Ravello, then you will have to hire a driver to take you sometime after that. Woukd you like to see it on your way back to Rome and pay the driver to hold your luggage and wait for you?

Also, to get from Ravello to Positano with your luggage, you will be most comfortable if a car takes you there, rather than taking two buses, and that car has to drive through the town of Amalfi to get to Positano. Would you like the driver to stop in Amalfi for a little while so you can see the town? If not, you can go straight to Positano and take a bus back to Amalfi as a day trip.

As for seeing Capri, you should do it as a day trip from Positano. See Sorrento as a day trip from Positano -- unless you would prefer to see it on your way to Ravello, but you will have to pay the driver to wait for you.

If you would like my advice, go to Ravello directly from the airport. Enjoy Ravello without day trips. Take a transfer to Positano. One day, take a boat from Positano to Capri. Take a different boat back to Amalfi. See Amalfi the same day, Take a bus or taxi back to Positano. Hire a driver to take you to Pompeii from Positano, but have him leave you there so you can explore at leisure. After you see Pompeii, take the train to Sorrento, have a nice dinner there, take a taxi back to Positano.

When you leave Positano for good, go directly to the Rome Hilton. Drop off your bags, Have the hotel call you a taxi to take you to Ostia Antica. Have lunch at Il Monumento in Ostia Antica before or after you see the ruins there.

Just my thoughts.
Old Jul 10th, 2010, 10:46 AM
Original Poster

zeppole-yes we are staying 2 nights in Ravello and 4 nights in Positano. I really appreciate your recommendations and will follow it. As for the boats should I wait to find a boat when we get there or do you recommend that I look for a boat company now and book it??
Old Jul 10th, 2010, 01:13 PM

rjbriskin,

I' ve never used a private boat company, but if that turns out to be your desiere and you are going in a busy tourist season, you should arrange for it in advance.

My overall recommendation to you is to please remember to enjoy the beauty of the places you are staying and not work yourself into a knot trying to get to the beautiful place next door. Pompeii is of course a unique and extraordinary sight to see, so putting some effort into seeing it in the most enjoyable way is a reasonable idea. But if you end up "missing" the town of Amalfi or Sorrento, don't kick yourself. Even if you miss Capri, don't kick yourself. Ravello and Positano are world class destinations for extraordinary beauty, charm and romance, lovely sunsets, lovely sunrises, lovely nights and lovely food and cocktails, and after dinner limoncello. (Remember Cumpa Cosima and Da Salvatore in Ravello). You are lucky people to be there. Don't go nuts trying to hurry to another town crowded with more tourists. Take it easy with the Italians. Have a great trip!
Old Jul 12th, 2010, 07:16 AM
Original Poster

zeppole- Thanks so much for your advice and we will be sure to enjoy it all!!!!
Old Jul 14th, 2010, 12:38 PM

RJB: Have you settled on a hotel in Rome yet? If not, let us know; I have an idea..
Old Jul 15th, 2010, 07:15 AM
Original Poster

Yes- I booked the Hilton Rome Aiport Hotel. Why??? Did you have a better idea??
Old Jul 15th, 2010, 07:25 AM

Since you will likely have some afternoon time before dinner, and because you have a generous budget, I am going to put forward the idea of an overnight at La Posta Vecchia, the former JP Getty manse on the sea not far from the airport.

I have never stayed here but I did recommend it to my sister last year; they stayed here for their last night in Italy and had very positive things to say. I think it would be a memorable experience, far more interesting than the airport Hilton.

It is about 25 minutes from the airport and they can arrange a taxi for you.

A good travel agent might get you rates that are far better than those listed on their site:

http://www.lapostavecchia.com/about-...ta-vecchia.php
Old Jul 15th, 2010, 07:27 AM

A related thread that mentions the hotel:

http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...za-and-fco.cfm
Old Jul 15th, 2010, 10:34 AM

I second Zeppole's restaurant recommendation of Cumpa Cosimo in Ravello; it was delicious. I'm sure you will go to Villa Rufolo there since it is fairly close to the main square. Nevertheless, I would also recommend walking to Villa Cimbrone. It has beautiful gardens and astounding views.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -