Rome/Tuscany/Florence Itinerary

Old Jun 14th, 2010, 05:00 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rome/Tuscany/Florence Itinerary

Hello Fodorites!

I am once again deep into planning our anniversary trip & would love a critique of our itinerary! DH & I have traveled several times to Europe in the last few years....but this will be our first time with a baby (will be 5 months on trip!). Due to this we have shortened our travel time from 2+ weeks to only about 7-8 nights....and our budget has significantly decreased! We love museums, food, wine (!!), and just roaming around new towns. We aren't very picky about hotels (clean & safe is all we ask for!). I plan for the pace to be much much slower since we will have a baby with us. The trip will take place in mid-October. Here is what I have so far:

Fly into Rome

2 nights in Rome (Arco Del Lauro B&B) - We have been to Rome before so this would just be to get over jet-lag and hit up a few spots we loved! No need for crazy sightseeing

Pick up car (AutoEurope) and drive to Tuscany Region

4 nights in Montalcino (Palazzina Cesira)

1 or 2 nights in Florence (Alloro B&B)

Drive back to Rome & fly out

Usually we would try open jaw flights but the best deal (by several hundred dollars each!) is in/out of Rome! Our flight out of Rome leaves later afternoon so we could leave early AM from Florence and have plenty of time.

OR

Should we land in Rome and head straight to the Tuscany area & put the Rome days at the end of our trip? It would ensure that we make our flight in time.....BUT I worry about driving with jet-lag!

Also would we enjoy Tuscany with a small baby? We are big wine people so hope to take tours of wineries in the region & do tastings.....would a baby be welcome at the wineries? (obviously we wouldnt be doing many tastings so as to not get drunk with a baby!).

Any tips? Any big problems with this itinerary? I'm budgeting $100-$150/day for the two of us to eat/sightsee on (breakfast at hotel, usually cheap lunch, and budget sit down dinner with maybe one or two splurges during trip).
Old Jun 14th, 2010, 05:33 PM

Waterlilly,

I think your plan sounds good, but I would land and train straight to Florence. Do your 2 nts there, then pick up the car for Montalcino. You will LOVE Montalcino (and the brunello). Montalcino is all about the vino and be sure to have dinner at Grappolo Blu where the hearty Tuscan dishes are perfect with brunello. Drop your car in either Chuisi or Orvieto and train into Rome.

You can taste all you want without an appointment in Montalcino. Many wineries have tasting rooms in town and of course there is the enoteca at the fortezza, which has a huge selection! If you want to go to specific wineries, you will need an appointment in advance for most.

Your meal and sighseeing budget sounds ok, but you will probably need a bit more Es in Rome and Florence.

Buon viaggio!
Old Jun 14th, 2010, 06:37 PM

Waterlily,
I think Dayle has it right. These may help :

http://www.montalcino-tuscany.it/sagra_del_tordo.htm

http://www.slowtrav.com/italy/tuscany/hs_planning.htm

Henry
Old Jun 16th, 2010, 08:06 AM

I think your itinerary sounds great - clearly you have experience and know what you like. Normally it's indeed wise to sleep a bit right away, thus the Rome part, though I'm not sure I'd want to trek around Rome with a baby in a snuggler - crowded public transportation, noise... So Dayle's idea to head right out might be good, and taking the train to florence would be the least painful option.

Another option might be to book just one night in rome so you can sleep plenty and deal with cranky baby, and then go straight to the Tuscan countryside. In your situation I'd aim for a self-catering villa with kitchen and use that as a home base to tour areas like Montepulciano, Pienza, Cortona, etc.

A very small baby is no problem anywhere as long as it's quiet - wineries, bars, wherever. I would worry more when he/she's 2 years old... For now, everyone will be so happy to see you, they love babies here!
Old Jun 16th, 2010, 09:12 AM

"Should we land in Rome and head straight to the Tuscany area & put the Rome days at the end of our trip? It would ensure that we make our flight in time.....BUT I worry about driving with jet-lag! "

We have done this often and will again this fall.
Get a rental car at FCO and drive to Val d' Orcia area. It's not difficult. Because of your limited time I'd only drive through it and stay in Chianti (Podere Torre?)are. Leave the car off in Florence (FLR)and return to Rome by train. Training to Florence from FCO (via the Rome Termini) will be more time consuming.