Pharmacies in Mexico/Puerto Vallarta

Old Apr 13th, 2010, 09:03 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pharmacies in Mexico/Puerto Vallarta

I am interested in knowing if it is necessary to carry a doctor's script to have a medication refilled. I know that there is a Wal-Mart near where we will be staying, but what about the more local pharmacies. I'm sure this question has been asked before, but I could not find it through the Search function, so decided to post here. Thanks. Ciao! mercy
Old Apr 14th, 2010, 07:34 AM

If it is a Narcotic or now a antibiotic you need a Prescription from a MEXICAN MD. Most other drugs you do not. Technically you are only allowed to bring a months supply back to the US, This rule was being enforced by The Bush administration until AARP got involved. Us old folk where having our drug purchases seized at the border even being threaten with prosecution. This has stopped with AARP's intervention & the current administration is not enforcing this "rule".
I recently returned from Mexico with a 7 month supply of Humlin 70/30 purchased at a savings of $17 per vial or a total of $119! That's even with my insurance coverage in the US!
So to answer your question yes in most cases no prescription needed. If one is lots of Mexican Md's who will provided one for a small fee.
Old Apr 14th, 2010, 07:59 PM
Original Poster

Well, I wasn't thinking about a narcotic, of course, but noticed on a recent cruise, that pharmacies near the ports had various meds (well-marked on the shelves) that are quite expensive in the US--Diovan and Actos are two that I take--and can put one in the "doughnut hole" quite quickly. I'd remembered a friend saying she bought meds in Mexico, when they lived in AZ during the winter, but that was some years ago. Thanks for the reply.