Search

Dinan Brittany

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13th, 2010, 04:20 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dinan Brittany

We are 5 seniors with a car, staying at Résidence Hôtelière Duguesclin. apartments
for 4 days early June. We want go to Mont St Michael & the D-day beaches before going on up to Honfleur Any suggestions of other spots to visit. & where to eat? We are very fond of fish & shellfish,
Thank you Jean.
Old Apr 13th, 2010, 05:26 PM

This is the "Dinan" section of my longer Normandy & Brittany itinerary. The "GG" refers to the Michelin Green Guide for Brittany and the stars (**) are the rating for the site.

Brittany

In June ‘01, we spent 2 weeks in a Gite near Plancoet in Northern Brittany, and 1 week in a Gite near Pont Aven in Southern Brittany. We thought Northern Brittany was prettier and more interesting than Southern Brittany.

Dinan** See DINAN in GG
Follow the itinerary marked in green in the GG
This is perhaps our favorite “smaller” town in Brittany/Normandy
Market day is Thursday

Valle de la Rance** See RANCE in GG
If you need to see some countryside instead of “City” today, then follow the itinerary in the guide (skipping St Malo , Dinan, & Dinard)

Hotel, 4 nights – we stayed in a Gite for 2 weeks in this area, so we don’t have any hotel recommendations. The best location would be near Dinan (near St Malo or Dinard is too crowded & too much sprawl). Dinan has more quaint countryside around it and some nice restaurants and Crepe places. Some hotel options are:
Manoir de la Rance on the Rance estuary in la Jouvente between Dinard & Dinan
L’Hotel D’Avaugor in Dinan
Manoir de Vaumadeuc near Plancoet – this estate is only about 3 miles from the 250 year old Gite where we stayed. It is out in the country, very serene, & is centrally located although not really near any major site. http://www.karenbrown.com/franceinns...vaumadeuc.html

Sun, Mon, & Tues
Take the Rance drive if you didn’t do it yesterday

Cote d’Emeraude See COTE D’EMERAUDE in GG
Bypass St Malo & Dinard, which isn’t easy but should be less hectic on a Sunday
Cancale*
Pointe du Grouin**
St Lunaire (villas) See LUNAIRE in GG
Pointe du Decolle**
Forte la Latte** See LATTE in GG
Cap Frehel*** See FREHEL in GG

If it’s rainy or overcast & not good coast viewing weather, here are some interesting chateaux:
Vitre** See VITRE Must See
Fougeres ** See FOUGERES in GG Must See
Bourbansais* see BOURBANSAIS

If you want to get some exercise, there is a beautiful walk along the shore in Dinard. See DINARD in GG. The walk starts to the left of the beach. There are cliffs above the shore with Gothic/Victorian houses. The Jardin du Port Riou on top of the cliffs (access from below on the shore walk) is quite nice with a good view.

St Malo ***- See ST MALO in GG. Get there at 9:00 & walk along the ramparts first so that you will be finished with them by the time the shops open.
The museum is only OK

Three-Quarter Day trip from Dinan to the Pink Granite Coast.
Take the fast N176 west to the E50 freeway, and take the E50 past St Brieuc and then to Guigamp. After Guigamp, take the D767 to Lannion

Visit Lannion* See LANNION in GG

Ploumanach** See PLOUMANACH in GG. This is the heart of the Pink Granite Coast. Park in the lot marked “P” (in the GG) close to the tourist office. Pick up a map at the tourist office (we did not do this) and walk to the beach. Follow the walking trails through the rocks – it is very interesting. We got a little lost here, but hopefully if you have a map, you won’t.

After Ploumanach, head west & follow the CORNICHE BRETONNE** Visit a menhir if you like

Return to Dinan. If there is time left in the day, stop in Lamballe (see LAMBALLE) for a visit. It’s east of St Brieuc just off the E50 If you still have time available, head southwest from Lamballe on the D768 to MONCONTOUR for a visit.

Our Favorite restaurants in the Dinan region
Maison Tirel-Guerin Michelin 1 star in La Gouesniere
La Voile d’Or Michelin 1 star in Sables d’Or Les Pins
Les Chalut Michelin 1 star in St Malo
Mere Pourcel in Dinan – very warm/comfortable interior
De La Gare in Ploubalay
Aux Pesked in St Brieuc Michelin 1 star, but it was not a 1 star when we dined there.

Stu Dudley
Old Apr 13th, 2010, 08:40 PM

What can be said after Stu Dudley, very good, very complete. I would just like to add that we drove from Brussels. Stopped in a small city in france called Boulogne-sur-Mer.We did not make reservations [we should have] but did manage to get into a very good seafood restaurant. The owner of the hotel spoke no English but we managed to get a room, with the assistance of an Englishman who reminded me of Capt. Peacock from tv.

Interestingly enough on
Utah Beach we found a converted Nazi [afterward American] signal station turned into a bar/restaurant/ museum. It felt historic knowing where we were. We had mussels ala normandy and beer. We also struck up a converstion with a german couple who were visiting also, very strange at times.
Honfleur has many restaurants and cafes. We found a small one that was mainly local and again enjoyed the mussels, wine this time. We we offended a waiter in a fancy bistro because we didn't sit where he wanted us to sit. Found this small place next to it and had a great time. Inside they were watching soccar and betting, a great find with great food.

Went to dinard from Mte Ste Michele to dinard. Stayed a day a drove back to Mte ste Michele. Food was not excellent in the area just good. Just wondering if your go to Ho nfleur where are you comming from? Just curious
Old Apr 13th, 2010, 09:26 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
If you get to Belon, Chez Jaky is wonderful,
and the Belon oysters are famous. I like the way they do the lobsters. Here in New England they are only boiled or steamed.
In Pont Aven, the Moulin de Rosemadec.
Old Apr 13th, 2010, 09:28 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
P.S. My favorite moules are at Les Vapeurs in Trouville.
Old Apr 13th, 2010, 09:53 PM

A friend and I stayed at Logis du Jerzual, which was near the Rance. Following suggestions by the owner we walked along the river to the abby in Lehon. It was a beautiful easy walk and the town was lovely. Had we more time, I'd have liked to have taken a boat trip along the river. We had dinner near our lodging at Le Cottage. We both had fish dishes which were very good. Dinan is a beautiful town with lovely half-timbered buildings. Apparently it was spared much of the damage that the many wars have inflicted on other cities.
Old Apr 14th, 2010, 04:06 PM
Original Poster

Thank you Stu I will go to your Normandy Guide.& thank you everyone for you help. I said we were going to Honfleur. but our base will be in Berville - sur - mer
www.crombridge-holidays.com. We have stayed with Des & Sheila before. they are British expats & have 5 self catering units, very well equipped, in rural country surroundings, & Des & Sheila are very congenial hosts.
Jean.
Old Apr 14th, 2010, 05:39 PM

we will also be in Dinan--late May. Stu Dudley, I would love to have your guide, too!
Old Apr 15th, 2010, 07:47 AM

e-mail me at [email protected] if you want my Normandy & Brittany guide.

Stu Dudley