Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Seaside Village Between La Spezia and Livorno?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9th, 2010, 04:47 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be returning to Tuscany and Rome for another visit. We have been several times and wish to spend a few days on the coast. We have been to the Cinque Terre a couple of times and would rather stay a little further south. We want to explore Lucca again and will be staying in Fiesole and Montipulciano before we reach the coast. Any ideas? We would like a nice village that we can have some nice dinners and also be able to walk around after dinner. Thanks for any help!!!
Old Apr 9th, 2010, 06:41 AM

The beach resorts in that area are too commercial for my taste. I would consider Lerici or Portovenere for what you want.
Old Apr 9th, 2010, 07:26 AM

I agree with Bob's advice. The coast just south of Lerici (it's a short drive) is beautiful with some nice hikes/walks and coves. Be sure to visit the small village of Tellaro. Lerici is a bit busier than Portovenere but both are lovely places to relax and soak up the sun and atmosphere.
Old Apr 9th, 2010, 07:45 AM

you just can't beat Lucca. I'd stay there and then trip around
Old Apr 9th, 2010, 09:06 AM

LindaKaye30,

I can't tell from your post if you simply want to stay south of le Cinque Terre and want more of that kind of experience, or whether you are interested in having a different kind of charming experience on the Italian Mediterranean.

If it's the latter, check out staying in Bocca di Magra, with its spectacular views of the sea and marble mountains, and its interesting history as both an ancient Roman outpost and a refuge from modern European poets. It sits at the apex of a lot of good food and wine, and also some quite interesting daytripping, including Lucca, but also the roman ruins of Luni, the walled town of Sarzana (designed by Lucca's builders), the cathedral in Massa and Castelnuova Magra, a petite hilltown with highly attractive art, history, food and views. For nature lovers, there are hikes in and around the piney woods of Montemarcello and Ameglia (also great food and views.

Bocca di Magra:

http://www.theitalianriviera.eu/img/bocca_di_magra.jpg

To me, Lerici is like le Cinque Terre but a Ligurian village on steroids,, but many people find it paradise (and some positively like it for its busy-ness). Portovenere is another very colorful Ligurian town that has a spectacular position on the sea, many staircases and increasingly, hordes of cruise ship tourists (and probably the lowest number of good restaurants, mostly due to tourism).

Other towns to check out: Castiglioncello and Marina di Massa

http://www.rivieratoscana.com/en/ct/...glioncello.asp

http://www.rivieratoscana.com/en/ct/...a_di_massa.asp
Old Apr 9th, 2010, 09:13 AM

Here's a pretty picture of Bocca di Magra:

http://www.chamomileandcoffee.com/07...i-Magra_EN.htm

There are some b&bs around there, and hotels. I've only been to lunch there, so I can't recommend a place to stay.
Old Apr 9th, 2010, 09:16 AM

We stayed in Lerici and really enjoyed it. It was still off season (late May), so not too crowded, nice restaurants and easy access to the Cinque Terre.