Itineray assistance for California/Vegas

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3rd, 2010, 04:38 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are a family of 4 (boys aged 12 & 15) from Oz travelling to LAX mid Sept for 12 days and need help with our itineray. We had originally planned to do a couple of days at Disney at the beginning, then a few days on the CA coast and then to Vegas for a week. We have been to CA and Vegas many years ago (prior to kids) Our thoughts on Vegas were that it would be a good spot to simply relax and enjoy the shows and many hotel entertaainment facilities however having read some other reviews we are now doubting this. We also need advice on whether and when we need hire car. Thoughts were:
Day 1 - arrive, collect hire car, stay Anaheim, settle in
Day 2 & 3 - Disney
Day 4 - 6 - ??????
Day 7 - 11 - Vegas
Day 12 - drive back to LAX, home

We want to take in a football.gridiron game as well so suggestions on that would be gret too. What are the must do's of the area, I'd love to have doen SF as well but figure it's too much in a short space of time. We are also on a pretty limited budget. All suggestions appreciated!
Old Apr 3rd, 2010, 04:58 PM

Been to LV many times and think, unless it's warm and the kids like hanging out at the pool, it would be hard to keep the kids happy that long.
On the CA coast there is an amusement park of sorts at the Santa Cruz Boardwalk. Also there is a great aquarium in Monterey. That's in addition to Disney, Knotts Berry Farm, Universal Studios and Six Flags Magic Mountain in the LA area.

You'll need a car in LA, could fly to LV and get around pretty well there without a car.

For football, the biggies are USC, plays home games at the Coliseum near downtown LA and UCLA, plays home games at the Rose Bowl in Pasadena. There are some smaller, lesser known colleges that play football as well.
Old Apr 3rd, 2010, 06:56 PM

For days 4-6, read this guide and pick and choose what looks good to you.

http://adventure.howstuffworks.com/l...city-guide.htm
Old Apr 3rd, 2010, 09:16 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the tips! In Vegas, which hotels would you recommend especially with a good pool? Perhaps we should cut that section short a little. Can you advise whether it is uaually better to book hotels several months in advance or wait to get last minute deals, I assume we'll book over the net. The last time we were in the area we didn't book anything before we arrived and played it by ear however with having the kids now I assume better to be a bit more organised. Are there any particular websites better than others for the accomodation? I'll get on to the football tickets now, assume like here they are pretty difficult to get.
Old Apr 3rd, 2010, 10:31 PM

You don't need to book early for Vegas in September, unless you are staying Fri and Sat night (and 30 days out is enough for this).
There is a lot to do and see around Las Vegas including Valley of Fire, Red Rock Canyon, Lake Mead National Recreation area and a drive to Zion National Park. But September is blazing hot so you may want to shorten your stay.
Sept weekdays are good for visiting Disney and the Coast, visit LA city on Sat and Sun when traffic is lighter.

As for day 4, 5, 6 you might consider remaining in Anaheim where rooms are very inexpensive in September, and taking day trips from there. Crystal Cove Beach, Laguna Beach, San Juan Capistrano, San Diego Wild Animal Park, Sea World etc. Los Angeles/Hollywood/Beverly Hills is also easily done in day trips from the Anaheim area.
Old Apr 4th, 2010, 01:57 AM
Original Poster

Boom Boom - thanks for the info, I've had a quick look at the ganes however neither are on when we are around sadly, miss them by a day either side. We arrive on 19 Sept and leave 1 Oct, are there any other football games that you could suggest that would still have a good crowd?
Old Apr 4th, 2010, 02:00 AM
Original Poster

DivineMissM - thanks, I hadn't heard of some of these so I'll check them out. I was keen to stay along the coast somewhere for a few days however I had a look at Santa Monica and is sadly out of our budget. Is there anywhere else you could suggest? Also any recommendations for Vegas?
Old Apr 4th, 2010, 07:38 AM

If you want to catch a professional football game, you might consider the San Diego Chargers.
Old Apr 5th, 2010, 10:18 AM

For Vegas I would book something now that is totally changeable and cancellable, then check back in August to see what "special offers" are floating around.
Gold coast or Orleans hotels would be a good bet, they generally have economical rates and decent restaurants, plus bowling, movie theatres and a pool for the kids. They are not right on the strip but they aren't far, and they have shuttles to and fro until midnight if you don't want to drive and park.

In California, Laguna Hills Lodge might work nicely for you, halfway between Anaheim/Disney and Laguna Beach.
http://www.lagunahillslodge.com/specials.php
Old Apr 5th, 2010, 11:15 AM

Did you look at U of Nevada - Las Vegas for football they have a night home game on Sept. 25.

Also, further south, Cal State San Diego is at home on Sept. 25