Best Bike Ride near Haarlem?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24th, 2010, 10:27 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Fodorites have been very helpful in helping us plan our short visit to the Amsterdam area in late April. I've read snippets about bike rides and am wondering if anyone would chime in about the best routes from Haarlem? Prefer a flat, scenic ride. Windmills and flowers a plus. Any preferred bike provider in Haarlem? Hoping for just one sunny day.
Old Feb 24th, 2010, 10:48 AM

We have rented bikes twice when visiting Holland - the first time was at the Haarlem train station and we biked out to the coast - maybe Zandervoort - it is a seadside holiday town. When we visited in tulip season we went to another train station, about 2 stops past Haarlem, maybe Lisse, and biked thru the tulip fields - one of my very best travel days ever! You can purchase a bike map at the station - it helps. Most of the paths are flat but sometimes it gets breezy. I think most of the larger train stations do rent bikes, be sure to check what is needed as far as ID, deposit, cash. Wishing you warm and sunny weather - Keukenhoff is just fantastic.
Old Feb 24th, 2010, 11:07 AM

Lisse doesn't have a station. It may have been Hillegom, though you can't hire bikes there. You can take bikes on the train though. Or take the bus to Lisse and hire bikes there. You can also hire bikes at Keukenhof.

Zandvoort is a nice bike ride from Haarlem, through the dunes.
The VVV (tourist info) will be able to supply bike routes.
There are several bike shops in Haarlem which hire bikes, as well as at the station.