Search

Oregon in July for wedding - itinerary help

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1st, 2010, 10:30 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oregon in July for wedding - itinerary help

Hello!

I'm traveling sans my children (hurray!) to Oregon July 8-13 for a wedding outside Eugene. Redeeming my United miles, I booked a flight into/out of Portland. Need some itinerary help......

Thursday, July 8 - fly into Portland in the morning....drive to Cannon Beach for overnight
Friday - Cannon Beach....drive to rehearsal dinner, leave around 2pm, i believe my friend is booking rooms at Eugene Hilton for the guests???
Saturday - tour wine region? wedding that evening....
Sunday - check out in am, want to see Southern coast? Need suggestions here?
Monday - open, would like to drive back up the coast to Portland?
Tuesday - early morning flight out of Portland

I'm really interested in seeing the coast...I am landlocked where I live, so I just love seeing the coast....small coastal towns really appeal to me. I am an avid runner, and love being outdoors. shopping and galleries are a bonus, but not a must. I'm not really interested in seeing museums, the city, etc. I really appreciate any feedback....I am totally open to switching the itinerary around...

Thanks for any help! jessica
Old Feb 1st, 2010, 11:47 AM

I would think you will have a hard time getting a 1 nite stay @ Cannon Beach.

Coast- you might want to go down as far as The Redwoods
Sea Lion Caves, Many Lighthouses, Sand Dunes NRA, Tilamook Creamery, many many many state parks along the entire route

Portland- Stumptown Roaster, Voodoo Doughnuts, Rose Garden, Powell's Bookstore are all not to be missed.
Old Feb 1st, 2010, 12:35 PM

Yeah, better places in Cannon Beach typically have 2-night minimums during high season. That policy may change for some with this economy though.

Unless you absolutely want to see the redwoods, I suggest you focus your limited time on the coast to, from Florence, north. The southern coast is beautiful, but there are little/no ocean views from hwy 101 except between Port Orford and the CA border. So, I don't think the driving would be a good use of your valuable time. And, it's not as if there's not enough to see/do on the central coast: Oregon Dunes, Haceta Head, Cape Perpetua, Yaquina Head, Cascade Head.... an almost endless list, really. But, save yourself $10 and pass on Sea Lion Caves. You can have a more up-close-and-personal experience with them on the docks of Newport's bayfront if you're interested. For lodging in that area, I always recommend Overleaf Lodge for its unparalleled setting: http://www.overleaflodge.com/. If you'd prefer something more intimate, Haceta Head's B&B: http://www.hecetalighthouse.com/. Don't wait long to make reservations for either.

The heart of Oregon's wine country is quite a bit north of Eugene; better as a day trip from Portland if you could figure it out. A couple around Eugene that I know are worth a visit are King Estates and Silvan Ridge. Both have other wineries nearby, and you'd probably enjoy those, too. Or, if you wouldn't mind driving north 40 - 50 miles....... lots of possibilities then.
Old Feb 1st, 2010, 01:13 PM

Close to Eugene is King Estate Winery as beachbum mentioned - it is a beautiful spot - you can have lunch or dinner there as well
There are many wineries in that area - and easy to make a day of tasting - Hinman and Sweet Cheeks are a couple - I am not so crazy about the wines at Sweet Cheeks but beautiful setting and views

My favorite part of the coast is Florence to Lincoln City - there are many scenic stops along the way but one of the best is the Devils Elbow State Park - from there you can can walk up to Heceta Head lighthouse or, as Beachbum mentioned you could stay at the lighthouse keepers house - did it last year with a group and very much enjoyed.
Since you are a runner, you might want to check out Pre's Trail in Eugene - bark trail where famed runner Steve Prefontaine used to run - also many runners like to visit his memorial rock where they leave their own personal tribute to him.
Old Feb 2nd, 2010, 04:14 AM
Original Poster

thanks for all your replies!!!

What do you think about my itinerary, then?

Thursday night - arrive into Portland, stay here overnight?
Friday night - drive down coast to Eugene for the night
Saturday night - Eugene night
Sunday night - Florence? Newport overnight?
Monday night - drive up to Cannon Beach and then drive back to Portland in the early evening?
Tuesday - early am flight out

I'm trying to think if I could get out of the rehearsal dinner Friday night, and then I could swing Cannon Beach Thursday/Friday night.......
Old Feb 2nd, 2010, 04:28 AM
Original Poster

if not going to rehearsal dinner

Thursday night/Friday night Cannon Beach
Saturday night Eugene
Sunday night Florence? Newport? Lincoln City?
Monday night Portland

is that better???
Old Feb 2nd, 2010, 04:54 AM

jessicam40,

Sounds like a good weekend. if you could skip the wedding. lol. I know your post says you don't like cities, and we don't much either. But, Portland is a good one to spend a day or two in. Rose Garden would probably be in full swing, and it is outside. There are a ton of great places to eat.
Old Feb 2nd, 2010, 06:50 AM

As beachbum mentioned, hotels on the northern coast are getting much more lax on their 2 night minimum. You are arriving after the big 4th of July weekend, and during the week, so you have a good chance of finding a place for even 1 night. Just make sure that you get a place booked soon though.

If you stay in Portland that first night, I would not drive down the coast to get to Eugene. Spend the time in and around Portland, and then do the coast on your way back.

As Sunbum says, Eugene will probably be a hit with you since you are a runner. Definitely allow time there for that, not just for the wedding

With your interests, I would opt for the 2 nights in Eugene. That way you can do the Pre stuff as well as hit a few of the wineries and you won't be rushing around too much.
Old Feb 2nd, 2010, 09:17 AM

How about:
Thursday night - Portland;
Friday - drive through wine country to Eugene;
Saturday - wedding stuff and the Prefontaine Trail;
Sunday - explore coast between Florence and Newport. Overnight in Yachats or Newport;
Monday - explore coast from Newport north, ending the day in Portland. How far north? Cannon Beach is a cute little town, with great surrounding scenery, but it's a 2-hour drive from Lincoln City, without ocean views for most of the way. And Tillamook Cheese Factory? If it were located in Wapakoneta, Ohio, you wouldn't drive 5 miles out of your way to visit. So why here? Personally, I'd rather spend that time at Yaquina Head, or hiking out Cascade Head, or enjoying a Chipotle Ale and fish & chips at Rogue Ales Public House, or.....
Old Feb 2nd, 2010, 09:47 AM
Original Poster

hmmm........

i'm stumped.

you all have great advice!

I'm really leaning towards not going to the rehearsal dinner Friday night as I'm not in the wedding and don't feel obligated. I've never been to Oregon - so this is extra exciting for me.

After reading your advice.............I'm definitely thinking I won't go south of Florence/Newport, and now I'm questioning doing Cannon Beach?

beachbum - I like your itinerary....if I was to take Eugene out of Friday night, and just be there Saturday night - how would you rework it?

THANK YOU!
Old Feb 2nd, 2010, 10:02 AM

I'd limit the Oregon Coast to "highlights" - it is stunning but some of Highway 101 south of Tillamook is inland and you don't see much, you'll blow a lot of time there. Cannon Beach is great, you can go south of there to Tillamook and see great scenery along the way you won't soon forget.

Another don't-miss highlight is EAST of Portland in the Columbia River Gorge. Beautiful scenic views, waterfalls, hiking, etc. Since it's only about 30 minutes from Portland, I'd consider staying in Portland that first night or even doing the Gorge FIRST right after you fly in - if you arrive early enough, it will be light very late - then stay overnight in Portland that first night. Check out the other thread from today about Oregon for more on the Gorge:

http://www.fodors.com/community/unit...ion-trip.cfm?2
Old Feb 2nd, 2010, 01:55 PM

I'm betting Andrew's recommendation of the Columbia River Gorge has you going "hmmm....." again. But, one thing at a time.

If Friday night's freed up, and your heart's set on the coast, I'd head to Cannon Beach on Thursday. And pray for good weather! There really is little better in this world than a sunny day in/on Cannon Beach.

On Saturday, take hwy 101 south to OR 22 towards Salem. If it's a reasonable hour when you get to where OR 22 intersects with hwy 99W, consider a short wine-tasting detour before continuing on to Eugene. Wineries are generally open late morning to late afternoon.

That still leaves Sunday night in Yachats. On Monday, go only as far north as Lincoln City before heading inland on OR 18 to Portland. As you pass by/through McMinnville, Dundee, and Newberg, you'll again have the wine tasting option (except that some/many wineries close on Mondays).

Now, re the Columbia River Gorge..... if you can somewhere squeeze in 4 hours....
Old Feb 2nd, 2010, 04:24 PM
Original Poster

thanks so much!!!!!!!!

i'm so excited to see Oregon!

okay, now I have to digest all the great advice.....
Old Mar 5th, 2010, 03:41 AM
Original Poster

here's what I have booked, I have a few questions in the itinerary....

flying in Thursday, July 8, get in AM
driving straight to Cannon Beach for 2 nights stay at Surfsand Resort - dinner reservations this night at their restaraunt (Wayfarer, I believe)

Friday, July 9 - at Cannon Beach, dinner reservations at Stephanie Inn this night

Saturday, July 10 - drive to Eugene (any driving route suggestions? we would like to stop at a winery or 2, I see beachbum's above). Have wedding this evening. 2 of the ladies who are traveling with me are not going to the wedding, do you have a restaraunt suggestion?

Sunday, July 11 - running pre's trail in the morning, then heading to Yachats. Night at the Overleaf Lodge. (thinking about making reservation at Luna Sea Fish House? Is that suggested?)

Monday, July 12 - drive back up to Portland for overnight (driving suggestion here, I see the one above about going to Lincoln City and then inland on OR 18)? Staying at The Nines for one night. Dining suggestion?

Tuesday, July 13 - fly back early AM

Thanks so much for all your help!
Old Mar 5th, 2010, 06:32 AM

Looks like a nice plan

Yes, the Wayfarer is the Surfsand restaurant and it is good. Nice views of the ocean as well.

As for driving to Eugene, you have a couple options. If you want to see more of the coastline, then head south along the coast and then cut over to I05. You can cut over at Lincoln City, Newport, or Florence. It just depends on how much coastline you want to see. If you opt to not follow the coastline, then you head back towards Portland and then cut over. I would recommend at least doing some of the coast. Since you want to do a winery or two, I would backtrack just a tad. Head down the coast and cut over at Lincoln City and head towards McMinnville (general area, where there are loads of good wineries) and then head back towards Salem to cut back over to I-5. There are other wineries closer to Salem so you don't necessarily have to go to Mac, just not as many of them though.

Sunbum would be the best for your Eugene suggestions. I will say though that I really like Hop Valley Brewery, but not sure if that is what the other 2 ladies are looking for

Dining in Portland...omg, where to start as there are so many good places! First though would be Fenouil, especially since in the summer if it is a warm day they open the big bay doors and you basically sit right in Jamison Square with the fountain going. It is really nice, and very good food.
Old Mar 5th, 2010, 09:35 AM
Original Poster

AWESOME mms!! Thank you so much for your advice! I will use it!

Jessica
Old Mar 5th, 2010, 01:04 PM

What type of restaurant are you looking for in Eugene?
You could try the Northbank which is just a brewpub type of place but it has a great deck on the river so if its a nice night great to sit and watch the river roll by
A little more upscale but still on the river is Sweetwaters at Valley River Inn
give me some ideas of what you are interested in
Old Jul 6th, 2010, 05:06 PM
Original Poster

i just saw your reply sunbum, the women who are dining Saturday night would enjoy something quiet, good wine? Doesn't have to be too upscale, but something innovative or different might be fun.

so excited to leave Thursday morning. I'm printing out all of your advice right now!!!
Old Jul 6th, 2010, 05:22 PM

jessica--Bring some layers, especially a few lightweight things, as we are just starting to have a heatwave here. Even the coast is supposed to be near 90 on Thursday, which is almost unheard of!
Old Jul 6th, 2010, 07:28 PM

It's about 20 miles outside of Eugene, but you could kill two birds with one stone, so to speak, with dinner at King Estates Winery. Beautiful winery building in a picturesque vineyard setting, nice wines, and very good, innovative food. With the right weather, dinner on the outdoor patio could be memorable.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -