Large Group Trip Planning

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20th, 2010, 12:40 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am in the process of organizing a group (20 or so people) trip to Southern Italy consisting of families with elementary school aged children...and a few babies, toddlers and teenagers in there too, along with their parents....feeling a bit overwhelmed! and maybe insane for offering.

The housing details are worked out - they will be staying in one place for the trip duration and attending some classes/workshops (Italian, ceramics, cooking, history -that sort of thing) but I would like to be able to offer some day trips too (I mean, really... to So. Italy and NOT go to Pompeii or the Amalfi Coast? can't do it!) I'm not dealing with flights and I am not arranging meals.

Has anyone organized this sort of thing before? ANY advice is most welcome!! Should I just call the local bus co. that has charter buses and book directly for a bus and driver and then book separate guides for the day? are there tour operators that only deal with the bus and tour (and we wouldn't nee the bus nor the guide every day - maybe 3 or four days)? The ones I'm seeing look like they are interested in booking it all...hotel, meals, bus, tour guides, etc.

help? Thank you!
Old Jan 20th, 2010, 01:09 PM

Casa, I have booked a bus and guide for a large group. This was in Northern Italy, and the same company probably wouldn't work for you, but I will dig up their name, just in case.
Old Jan 20th, 2010, 01:10 PM

Be sure that everone know how the money will be handled.

Be sure that each adult pays for their own drinks. There will always be someone who drinks more than the others and resentment will grow when the non-drinkers continue to pay.

Outside meals are similar. There are some who will eat lightly and those who think they are on death row. Figure out an equitable method.

Agree that people need not do everything together. Different people have different tastes and there may be a limited of restaurants that can accomodate wo people.

I know of one group were the members drove and some were not good drivers and scared the hell out of others. Get professional drivers.
Old Jan 20th, 2010, 01:12 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I haven't planned for a large group, but I did find these two companies for a friend who was traveling to Sorrento/Amalfi Coast with her family. The companies offer transportation and guides only. I don't know if she used either one, and there are others.

http://benvenutolimos.com/tours.asp?...FR4WawodyBWN1Q

http://www.aptours.it/index.php?lng=en

Where is your base? Will all 20+ be going on these excursions? If so, you may need multiple guides, and I can see the costs of this going up. Don't forget tips.
Old Jan 20th, 2010, 01:18 PM

We've planned two such excursions--good luck. I found a very good analysis/discussion of the topic here; www.slowtrav.com/europe/es_large_groups . Paul
Old Jan 20th, 2010, 01:23 PM
Original Poster

Thanks all!

Aduchamp1 - they are staying in vacation rentals and will have kitchens, etc. - I'm not dealing with ANY food/drink - they are on their own (aside from making reservations in advance if people want to sit together)...just easier since there are lots of kids involved here (ages 6-12 mostly) and everyone has different schedules, eating habits, etc. as you pointed out ;-)

Jean - we are staying in Calitri in the Avellino Province of Campania. I own a home there and have contact there and it is where I have the means to organize classes (we're not doing a grad-tour type thing...staying in town and learning about the culture)

I'm assuming all 20 will go on the trips - doesn't look like either of those companies will work for groups that large, unfortunately. It is mostly the busing I am concerned about - will get a guide at Pompeii, etc., but, because these are families, they will most likely want to tour places at their own speed. We're hoping to do a few very off-the-beaten path places as well (Venosa, Melfi,etc.) We could certainly use public transport to get to places...but, honestly, that's too much with children. I will probably price the trip separately - i.e. housing and workshops in Calitri...and then the extra cost of trips for those who want it...because, as you said, it can certainly add up.

Thank you all for the tips!!
Old Jan 20th, 2010, 01:24 PM
Original Poster

macanimals - yes, I read that article!
Old Jan 22nd, 2010, 04:59 AM
Original Poster

just wanted to say thank you, again, everyone!!

great ideas - I randomly contacted one of the excursion agencies on the coast (even though they do not advertise for that number of people) and they seem happy to work with me and have no problem at all departing from the Avellino area...no, not cheap at all...but the more organized and planned out everything is, the easier my life will be I think!
Old Jan 22nd, 2010, 05:57 AM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Try some of the area bus companies. I know Curreri out of Naples has small buses (19 passenger or 35 )so I'm sure there would be others closer to where you are staying.
Old Jan 22nd, 2010, 08:04 AM
Original Poster

Yes - I own a house in town, so I do know the local bus company and they do have all sizes of buses - they are not used to tourists though and it would leave me on my own pretty much to deal with the group and hiring tour guides, etc. If I go with a tour co., they will take care of that - I just need to make sure the group gets to the bus ;-) I'm weighing both options - cheaper to hire a bus and driver for the day directly from the bus company...but stress lever would be higher.