North Carolina Coast

Old Jan 3rd, 2010, 09:20 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
North Carolina Coast

My husband and I are planning a trip to North Carolina and Charleston in April. We fly into the Raleigh area where we will spend a few days.After that, we want to spend time on the North Carolina coast, staying five nights divided between two locations. We will end our trip with a four night stay in Charleston. Do you have any suggestions as to where to stay and what to see along the coast? We like beautiful scenery, history, nice walks, art, crafts, yummy seafood and nice B&Bs. We prefer quieter, smaller areas. Thanks very much for any input.
Old Jan 3rd, 2010, 11:09 AM

Sorry - The information is honest, and I don't get paid for anything in Corolla...

I won't post links anymore - I just get excited about that part of the country.
Old Jan 3rd, 2010, 11:12 AM

The water at the Outer Banks in April is too cold for me, I usually prefer to be a bit further south.

Charleston is one of my favorite cities. I don't know your budget but the choices of bed and breakfasts there is wide. It will be the perfect time to see the beautiful gardens and visit a plantation or two. I strongly recommend Gullah Tours of a view of Charleston not often covered in the regular tours.

In North Carolina one of my favorite little towns is Beaufort, NC near Atlantic Beach. There is a lovely historical section. The Inlet Inn is very nice and you can walk to several excellent restaurants (Beaufort Grocery, Blue Moon, Spouter). If you prefer to be on the beach, the Windjammer on Atlantic Beach is a good choice.

I also love the beach areas around Wilmington. There are great restaurants and shopping in Wilmington. Click on my screenname I have posted a couple of trip reports with suggestions). I have friends who enjoy staying at bed and breakfasts on the river in Wilmington, but I typically stay out at Wrightsville Beach. Shell Island has all oceanfront suites and can be a good value in April. A bit shabbier for wear, but still quite serviceable.

Enjoy your visit to our part of the USA. It is beautiful in April!
Old Jan 3rd, 2010, 07:02 PM

Beaufort NC is terrific. How about Ocrocoake Island? Small and quaint. I live in Kitty Hawk and walking on the beach year round is enjoyable but can be chilly! There is the Wright Brother Monument and museuum, lighthouses to climb, a small aquarium and a few good restaurants.
Old Jan 4th, 2010, 05:32 AM

I love the Banks. It's a completely different beach experience from the beaches here by Charleston. It WILL be chilly up there so come prepared. Down here it will be warmer but the ocean will still be cold. Are you staying in the Historic District?
Old Jan 4th, 2010, 02:53 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies! We will be staying at the Governor's House Inn in Charleston, where we stayed several years ago. We just loved Charleston and have always wanted to return (we live in the San Francisco area).I thought adding the NC coast would be fun as well. Is there a good place to stay on Orocoke Island? What about Edenton or Manteo? Too small? We definitely are thinking of staying in the Beaufort area for a few nights. We love looking AT the ocean, not jumping into it, so cold is ok. Thanks much.
Old Jan 4th, 2010, 03:15 PM

It's been years since I stayed there, but the Island Inn is nice. The fun thing about Ocracoke are the ferries you have to take to get there. Watch out for those seagulls-they'll poo on your head! Ask me how I know this.

Edenton and Manteo are both nice. So is Beaufort,NC, near Morehead City. I'd pick Ocracoke over those however.

Lots will be in bloom in Charleston in April. It's beautiful. Welcome back, and let us know if you need restaurant recs.
Old Jan 4th, 2010, 04:27 PM

Visit Brookgreen Gardens in Litchfield, SC. It is about half way between your destinations.
Old Jan 6th, 2010, 02:33 PM

We love Beaufort, NC and go there to eat whenever we are at the beach.

In April most of the restaurants will be open. Our favorite is Blue Moon Bistro but Beaufort Grocery is also very good (both on Queen St.). We sometimes have lunch on the deck at Stillwater Cafe -very nice in good weather. I haven't eaten there lately, so I can't comment on the food, but The Sandbar is a great place for drinks and watching the sunset at the Beaufort Marina.

Have a fabulous trip!
Old Jan 15th, 2010, 06:04 AM

Hi Orinda,

http://www.innonpamlicosound.com/ is an amazing place to stay on Hatteras Island and not far from the ferry you can catch over to Oracoke. The inn has lovely sound views and is very peaceful. We even had our own deck overlooking the sound. At night they serve dinner and it is AMAZING!! Reservations def. recommended.Enjoy your time.