SELOUS in February

Old Oct 8th, 2009, 06:04 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SELOUS in February

Hi,
yep, me again asking more questions about Tanzania! Sorry for this, but thought I should start this as a new thread since in my last post a number of you mentioned that Selous in February was a bad idea. I had read that you may not see the largest amount of wildlife during that period but I was wondering if that was the only reason so many of you said not to go then. I've read it's hot, but how uncomfortable is it? (I've been to India in May which was pretty bad, but thankfully had a/c in my hotels!). Just wondering if you could give me a few more details about what 'bad' means. I thought perhaps it might be beautiful and lush there in Feb...
thanks again to all of you!
Old Oct 9th, 2009, 02:45 AM

I had wanted to go to Selous for several years and finally made it in February 2006. It was extremely dry that year and unbearably hot. Sand Rivers Selous Lodge was great with fabulous food and excellent guides, but there was no a/c. Because it was so dry, game viewing was a disappointment. As much as I was looking forward to Selous, I enjoyed Ruaha much more. It was cooler, greener, and the game viewing was much better. I would not recommend Selous for February!
Old Oct 9th, 2009, 06:05 AM

Well for sure - there won't be air conditioning. Some camps might provide fans which can help when sleeping, if they keep their generator running thru the night.

During this period is not only the heat, but the "closeness" - the feeling of having to gasp for air. Hoping there might be a breeze.
Old Oct 9th, 2009, 02:28 PM
TC

Wanderfilms, We are scheduled for Selous and Ruaha for January 2010 and have heard very little about the weather being unbearably hot. I expect it to be hotter than Northern Tanzania was, but not horrid. It is my understanding that we are on the cusp of the rains in January and things are expected to be greening. In fact, I believe it is the greening that makes game viewing a bit more difficult as the wildlife disperses from the watering holes out into the bush. January is supposed to be amazing birding season.

I worked with Lenny Franklin at Africa Travel Resources in the U.K. and he was a great help with information. He travels to both Selous and Ruaha often and knows all about it. Drop him an email with your questions.

[email protected]
Old Oct 9th, 2009, 04:42 PM

I stayed at Selous Safari Camp in late Feb/early March 2007. As Sandi mentioned, it is very "close". It was probably around 90 degrees F during the day with the humidity about the same. It was raining when we got there, but just a few showers during the 3 day stay. Ceiling fans in the rooms helped a bit, and for me, it was trying to sleep at night that was most uncomfortable because it did not cool off. But, hey, I can always sleep when I get home. If you are someone who worries about what you look like, it not be the time to go because you will definitely 'wilt' during the day, but for me, the game drives (even when there is not a much game) negate the heat issues. The game viewing was not as good as we had in the Serengeti, but we saw lots of birds, hippos and 3 lions with very small cubs. The camp was nice, and the food was good.
Old Oct 9th, 2009, 10:54 PM

The dry season sets in during June to November and is the best time for game viewing along the rivers. Elephants come out of the bush at that time and predators are more commonly seen.
The Rainy Season set in during January to April is wonderful for birdlife and lush scenery but many roads become impassable after heavy rains. December to February is still good for game viewing but can be rather hot and humid.
The lodges are usually closed from March to the end of May.