rent car in Barcelona

Search

rent car in Barcelona

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28th, 2009, 12:03 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
rent car in Barcelona

What is the cheapest way to rent a car in Barcelona? We will spend 3 days in the city when we don't need a car, then need it for 3 days outside the city and will return to the airport. I have read that renting from the local office of a world-wide chain is much cheaper than through the US website, and that renting off airport is also cheaper. Thanks!
Old Jun 29th, 2009, 07:13 AM

Picking up in the city is by far the least expensive way, but if you are an American or Canadian, you'll be better off renting through a company like Auto Europe or Kemwel, discount brokers. It has to do with the CDW, which can be waived, but only if you rent the car through a USA based agency before you arrive in Spain.

Currently the cost of picking up a car at the airport amounts to around $50, and half that if you pick it up at a train station, but there is no additional charge for picking up at a downtown location. Normally, you'd have to weigh the cost difference with the convenience of picking up at the airport, but since you will already be in the city, there would be no reason to travel out to the airport just to pick up the rental car.
Old Jun 29th, 2009, 11:43 AM

I would check if your card does cover your CDW and if so exactly what as some cover is a lot lower than that you purchase with the hire co.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Damage_waiver
Old Jun 30th, 2009, 07:30 AM

Sorry, but Wikipedia is hardly the place one should go for pertinent information on anything, let alone credit card insurance coverage for your rental car.

All credit cards have a deductible, the amount varies depending on the type of credit card. VISA Platinum and Signature Cards offer the best coverage in this group.

For MasterCard you can check: http://www.mastercard.com/us/persona...its/index.html

For VISA, check: usa.visa.com/personal/cards/benefits/index.html?ep=v_sym_benefits

Amex card holders can obtain full coverage by signing up for the Amex rental car insurance program, $29.95 for full coverage for each rental, up to 30 days. USA and Canadian Citizens only. There is a deductible similar to MC and VISA if you do not opt for the special Amex insurance program.

You will also need to a IDP, International Driving Permit if you are not fluent in Spanish, as required by Spanish law. The IDP can be picked up at your local AAA office.

One of the best locations to pick up an AVIS rental car is at the office at Corcega, 293/295. We just picked up a rental this morning and it only took about 25 minutes to get out of the city, heading south, in heavy traffic.
Old Jul 7th, 2009, 03:38 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to all for this great information!
Old Jul 10th, 2009, 06:54 AM

I've become a Sixt Rental car fan. Used them last fall in Barcelona, they have a location in the Eixample, can't exactly remember the location, but it is on Calle d'Arago I believe. We stayed at the Astoria and it was a nice walk. I've also used them in Holland.
They have great rates, nice selection of cars, all inclusive and don't care where you drop it off as long as it's in Spain somewhere
Old Jul 11th, 2009, 02:22 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much!
Old Jul 11th, 2009, 02:49 PM

Whenever I rent a car upon leaving a European city I often ask for a facility away from the city center, not the airport, that way I do not have navigate that city.

I always call my credit card company before charging car rentals abroad just to be clear. I have AMEX Platinum and do not pay any additional charges for CDW.

Also be aware that some car rental agencies have affliations and although you may secure your rental with one company, you may pick up the car under the banner of another company.

Over the years I have used Auto Europe, Kenwell, and last year Avis in Spain.
Old Jul 12th, 2009, 06:17 PM

bookmarking

amy