bc to grand junction camping with kids

Old May 18th, 2009, 09:39 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
bc to grand junction camping with kids

We are attending a wedding in grand junction colarado with kids and a tent. Love outdoors would like suggestions of good camp and activities along way. Definately quick and direct trip needed as will be driving overnight at points to save from insanity of children. starting in vancouver island thinking maybe mount st helens salt lake or lake aspen salt lake and then somewhere near grand junction? Maybe san fransisco is too far? Love ideas for great activities points of interest.
Old May 19th, 2009, 02:46 AM

When will you be taking the trip? If you stop at Arches NP and/or Canyonlands NP, it will be hot but fantastic scenery and camping is possible in the Moab area. These are very close to i 70 not too far from Grand Junction.
Old May 19th, 2009, 02:50 PM
Original Poster

Last two weeks of july
Old May 19th, 2009, 09:48 PM

The most direct way to get to Grand Junction would be to leave Seattle on I-5, I-90, I-82, I-84 to Utah, I-15, highway 6, and I-70 to Grand Junction. Did you want to camp at National Forest campgrounds or RV parks? You can find campgrounds on each state's travel site. AAA also has campground guides. In Washington you could go to Mt Rainer National Park. July will be hot, especially in Salt Lake City. I would opt for camping in smaller cities instead. We have stayed at the Anderson campground in Twin Falls, Idaho and the KOA out of Brigham City, Utah. I can give you the names of some national forest campgrounds around Salt Lake, in the mountains, if you're interested. North of Salt Lake City is the amusement park Lagoon,in Farmington, Utah, with a campground next door. Just north of Lagoon is Cherry Hill campground with a water park and other activities. There's a Utah State Park campground in Green River, Utah and a KOA in Grand Junction.
Old May 20th, 2009, 08:00 AM
Original Poster

Thats great exactly the information i needed anything further would be greatly appreciated we have never travelled in this side of America.
thanks
Janet
Old May 23rd, 2009, 03:49 AM

If you want to stop in Salt Lake City, I would reccommend camping in the mountains east of there. One nice campground is Spruces in Big Cottonwood Canyon. There is water and vault toliets only, but it is a beautiful place to camp and hike. You will need reservations on a weekend (2nt minimum or 3 nts on a holiday). July 24 is a Utah holiday so it will be crowded around then. No animals are allowed. From I-15 go east on 215 to 6200 South exit. Go east 1 mile to Wasatch Blvd, south 1 mile to junction. Go left up highway 190 (Big Cottonwood Canyon) for 9.7 miles. If you camp here go up to the end of the canyon and hike around Silver Lake. Reservations can be made at reserveamerica.com for all U.S. National Forest campgrounds.