Really Reasonable Hotel in New York

Old May 4th, 2009, 01:35 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Really Reasonable Hotel in New York

I'm asking the help of experience in you fodorites. My friend and I are taking a six night, quick trip to Baltimore, DC, and NY. She is from Baltimore so we have places to stay there and in DC. We'd like to find decent lodging for two nights in NY. I have never been there and know nothing about the neighborhoods. I just want to go! Is it possible to find anything under $100 per night? Any recommendations on location or where to start my search? My friend also lived in NY briefly and said the village, soho, upper west side, or south central park areas are nice. We only have two nights (yes, I know that's not nearly enough) and I could really use any and all advice. Thank you in advance!
Old May 4th, 2009, 02:32 PM

People are getting 3 1/2* and 4* rooms for under $100 on Priceline and Hotwire right now. If you are unfamiliar with bidding blind go to biddingfortravel.com or betterbidding.com and educate yourself. It is very easy and once you do it you will never pay published prices again. Good luck and have fun on your trip!
Old May 4th, 2009, 04:37 PM

Priceline will work find as long as the two of you can share a double bed - and are willing to learn how to bid - and be able to live with whatever hotel accepts your bid. (You get to pick area and * number - then have to pay for whatever hotel accepts your bid - no refunds.)

I can;t imagine there is any other way to get a hotel room in NYC for $100 or less. And do realize that taxes are about 18% on top of the room price. (Even in Jan $100 is really low for NYC unless you bid Priceline.)
Old May 4th, 2009, 05:49 PM

You may eek out a $100 bid on priceline but do keep taxes and charges in mind.

All areas of Manhattan are nice. I think you'll be happy anywhere you pick.
Old May 5th, 2009, 09:35 AM

There's a special right now on travelzoo.com for the Best Western Bowery Hanbee. It may not be good for your dates, but you can check (make sure to type the code travelzoo in the promo code section) http://hotels.travelzoo.com/new-york-hotels/579177 It's a bit above your budget but includes cont. b/f and has rooms with 2 beds.

A lot will depend on when you're coming. Hotel rates fluctuate depending on demand.