Chicago Mini Trip Report

Search

Chicago Mini Trip Report

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23rd, 2009, 08:19 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Chicago Mini Trip Report

My DH, DS and I are just back from a 5 night stay in Chicago and we had a wonderful time. It was my first trip there (it was about time!) and I certainly hope to return. We stayed at a relatively new hotel, the Hampton Inn Majestic on Monroe Street, and we were very pleased with the room, the location and the welcoming staff. We took the blue line train from the airport and only had to walk around a corner to reach the hotel -- so convenient.

We saw many sights, took an architectural walking tour, visited the Art Institute and the Museum of Science and Industry, toured Northwestern and Chicago Loyola universities, and saw the musical, Jersey Boys. My son and I attended a taping of "Wait, Wait Don't Tell Me" and I sat in the audience of an Oprah show - both experiences were so much fun.

We had lots of good food -- pizza at Giordano's, German food at Berghoff's, yummy cuisine at the Atwood cafe -- and paid homage to SNL at the Billy Goat Tavern.

We were very impressed with how clean the city is, how convenient and easy the public transportation is to use, how much public art is on display and with the friendliness of most of the people we met. Given that my husband will be visiting for business occasionally and my son was impressed with the colleges he visited, I hope to have a chance to return soon!
Old Apr 23rd, 2009, 08:30 AM

I'm jealous that you were able to get into an Oprah taping!
Old Apr 23rd, 2009, 08:40 AM
Original Poster

MP, I was so lucky to get in. One of my friends mentioned checking the website in case there were any last minute seats and I did a few days before we left. Sure enough there was a possibility of seats and I was told to send in an email. We received a message on our cell phone which I retrieved as our plane landed and I called back before even "deplaning" to confirm the ticket. Unfortunately, Oprah decided not to air the show I watched -- it was about the killers at Columbine High School -- but it was a great experience. I hope you get to go someday!
Old Apr 23rd, 2009, 10:28 AM

KTTravel, We are also going to Chicago for the first time at the end of May and hope to do many of the things you mention. Can yo tell me how you set up the architectural walking tour?
Old Apr 23rd, 2009, 10:48 AM
Original Poster

Primrose Lane, we took our tour through the Chicago Architecture Foundation which offers many walking tours, a couple of bus tours and a boat tour that is supposed to be excellent. The boat tour was initially my first choice, but it doesn't begin running until May. Here is their website: http://www.architecture.org/tours.aspx.

If you think of any other questions, I'd be happy to respond. Have a great trip!
Old Apr 23rd, 2009, 11:00 AM

Thanks, for the website, KT. A friend recommended the boat tour, it might be good to do both. We'll be taking AmTrak from California and staying at the Blackstone Hotel. We're told that Union Station is within walking distance to the hotel. Are you familiar with either the hotel or train station area?
Old Apr 23rd, 2009, 11:10 AM

I highly recommend the Architecture Foundation Boat Tour.
Old Apr 23rd, 2009, 11:44 AM

There are several boat tours. Be sure you get the authentic architectural one through that website.
Old Apr 23rd, 2009, 11:45 AM

Primrose, I'm not sure I'd say The Blackstone is walking distance from Union Station if you're dragging luggage behind you. It's 12 or so blocks -- maybe a bit more than a mile. It would be a fun and scenic walk if you don't have luggage and are wearing comfy shoes, but if you're tired from your train ride and have lots of luggage you might want to catch a taxi (I'd guess $10 - $15.)

The Blackstone just got a super-hip remodel and has a great restaurant called Mercat a la Planxa (Spanish.)

Another vote for the Architectural Boat Tour!

Enjoy Chicago!

P.S. KT, I've lived here for 8 years and still have not managed to snag Oprah tickets!! No fair
Old Apr 23rd, 2009, 02:28 PM
Original Poster

PrimroseLane, I'm glad bniemand was able to help as I don't know the areas that well but it looks a bit too far on the map to do with luggage. I hear the Blackstone is really nice and I'm sure you'll enjoy staying there.

Sorry, bniemand, to beat you to Oprah -- you must go. Her website has an area to check for last minute reservations. I just checked, and there is room on May 6,7 and 8th!
Old Apr 25th, 2009, 02:51 PM

bniemand, Thanks for the tip on the distance between the Blackstone and Union Station. Looks like a taxi is the way to go, particularly since we're arriving late in the afternoon. We definitely plan on eating at Mercat a la Planxa.. And thanks to everyone for the info on the Chicago Architectural Boat Tour--that's now a definite on our to-do list.
Old Aug 11th, 2010, 02:33 PM
yk

KT, we're thinking of going to attend a Wait Wait Don't tell me taping when we visit Chicago in a few months. Tickets aren't available yet. Any tips on what to expect at the taping? It says it lasts about 2 hours; was there a lot of down time?

Also, do you recall which walking tour you took with the CAF? We for sure will do the boat tour, but we probably will take 1 or 2 walking tours.

You're going back to Chicago? What's on your itinerary this time? (I saw your recent post about attire...)
Old Aug 13th, 2010, 04:50 PM

Nice to hear the city was clean. I must always walk down the dirty streets.
Old Aug 13th, 2010, 06:43 PM

yk, two or three years ago, as a Christmas gift for her dad, DD bought Wait, Wait Don't Tell Me tickets for all of us. We really enjoyed it! I don't remember much down time.

It's one of those things we always talk about wanting to do again.
Old Aug 13th, 2010, 06:44 PM
Original Poster

Hi yk, I believe we took the Downtown Deco walking tour on our last trip.

As far as Wait Wait Don't Tell Me, we were too late to get reserved tickets but were told we could arrive a bit early and put our names down for last minute tickets. We were fortunate to be able to get in (as I believe everyone on the waiting list was.) Once admitted, the taping started fairly quickly and I don't remember there being a lot of down time. We did chat with the folks seated near us in the audience as we were all enthusiastic fans.

Yes, I am heading back to Chicago, this time with my daughter. We are planning on doing the Architecture Foundation's boat tour, attend a couple of plays, and visit the Art Institute. We will also fit in some other activities but haven't yet decided on which ones.

Enjoy Wait, Wait, Don't Tell Me!
Old Aug 13th, 2010, 08:09 PM
yk

CAPH52, KTtravel - THANKS! Now I just have to remember to get tickets when they go on sale (website says 6 weeks before the show is scheduled).