Travel Light: Trip Tips and Smart Ideas

Old Apr 9th, 2009, 03:40 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Travel Light: Trip Tips and Smart Ideas

Hi, guys!

I wrote some tips on traveling light, based on my own experience traveling abroad, mainly Europe. I would love everybody to share your tips, especially for longer trips/ flights.

http://cravings4savings.blogspot.com/
Old Apr 9th, 2009, 04:21 PM

mine is simple..
Dont take more than you can carry.
Old Apr 9th, 2009, 07:53 PM

I agree with jetsetj. Are you posting the address for your blog on every travel website?
Old Apr 10th, 2009, 04:20 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Before I bother to risk linking to an unknown website, I'd need to know a lot more about you and your travels to decide if it's worthwhile. Basically I'm with jetsetj - I never take more than I can carry, and I take it in a convertible backpack and a daypack.
Old Apr 10th, 2009, 06:49 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Doesn't matter the length of the trip or flight. You still pack the same amount. I'm not sure the need for tips or tricks, pick a small bag that you are comfortable with, pack it, stop when it is full. Voila!
Old Apr 11th, 2009, 11:41 AM

My tip for longer trips is do laundry along the way - then you don't have to take much.
Old Apr 16th, 2009, 07:34 AM

Here's my visual pack list. It travels well and doesn't weigh much. I built it with late Spring to early Fall North of the Alps in mind:

http://www.polyvore.com/mens_travel_...set?id=1440268

This much clothes has worked for month-long trips and covered warmer and cooler climates.

Somewhere on this forum is my tip for the ultimate laundry technique on the road. I'll see if I can find it and pull it to the top.
Old May 4th, 2009, 12:06 PM
Original Poster

jetsetj,
Many people overestimate their strength. :0)

thursdaysd
All trips are different. I used to travel alone, but my last trip was with a kid, so it took everything to the new level: need to pack for 2 people, and manage to have both hands free.
Also, laundering along the way is not an option, when you get to some parts of Eastern Europe, as there are no dryer machines, and rains at all time of the year, so my last trip past fall was a bit complicated and burdened with unnecessary shopping.

bdjtbenson
Please, publish your findings.
Old May 4th, 2009, 12:38 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
"laundering along the way is not an option, when you get to some parts of Eastern Europe, as there are no dryer machines" I only take clothes that drip dry. I don't use washing machines or dryers when traveling. I have traveled to Eastern Europe, and things dried at the same speed as in Western Europe. I do agree that traveling with a kid (I'm assuming baby to toddler) would complicate matters.
Old May 18th, 2009, 04:29 AM

Surely "some" people from E. Europe wash their cloths too. They may even have them new fangled Washin' gizmos...

Washing a few items a day, even if its a small load hand washed in a sink... ala "Rick Steves" style of packing, who's famous for taking only 2 pair of socks and washing every other day.

We pack a small bottle of a liquid detergent like Woolite to do a few items and hang to dry in our room. We reuse a small bottle from "Jet Dry" dish washer liquid to store the Woolite. You can utilize the towel or shower curtain rods for a drying spot or a specialize bungee type cord that campers use...

This was useful when traveling with small kids and their messy spills that will happen.