Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Thoughts on short term rentals in Paris. (pros and cons)

Old Mar 23rd, 2009, 10:06 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anybody have any experience with short term rentals in Paris?
My wife and I are planning a 10 - 14 day trip and are exploring our options. We are on some what of a tight budget and were hopeing to hear from people with experiece with these type of properties as they sound right up our alley. (pros, cons, scams, and so on)
Old Mar 23rd, 2009, 10:52 AM

I was in Paris last year and had a short term apartment rental. For us (me and my friend), it was the absolute perfect choice. Having a mini-kitchen and internet access in the apartment was fantastic. There was a small grocery store only a half block away, so we were able to save money by making our own breakfasts, picnic lunches, and some dinners. We are skilled travelers, so we had all of our sightseeing plans ahead of time, so we didn't need a concierge or hotel for arrangements. The apartment was fairly close (10 minute walk) to a Metro.
Arranging the apartment was a little scary as I also had concerns about being "scammed" especially when asked to send a personal check for $350 as a deposit. But everything worked out perfectly (we paid in cash upon arrival and received the deposit check back when we checked out). Do your research. Make sure that others who have stayed at the apartment you are interested in thought it was a good operation. Make sure it's in the part of the city that you want to be in (we stayed in Saint-Germain des Pres). If you're interested, the apartment was at http://www.residences-paris.com/apartments.php - Vladimir was great. He showed us what we needed and left us alone to explore the city. Best of luck finding what you want.
Old Mar 23rd, 2009, 10:55 AM
cw

The best way to avoid scams is to rent from an agency that has had good reviews from other travelers, either here, on www.slowtrav.com, or www.ourparisforum.com.

You can get a lot of information to get started in the recent Paris apartment thread here: http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...ent-thread.cfm

An apartment is often cheaper than a comparable hotel, has more space, and you have the option of eating some of your meals at home. That can really help stretch a tight budget.
Old Mar 23rd, 2009, 10:55 AM

Dave:

We don't use apartments wherever we travel...but I came across this in yesterday's L.A. Times that may be of some help. It's owned by an American family and supposedly has a good location and nice views...on left bank ....
b>"LeVieuxParis"</b>..reported rates are $110/night.

email: [email protected]
web: www.levieuxparis.com

Stu T.
Old Mar 23rd, 2009, 12:00 PM

To me it doesn't matter whether it's short term or long term. It's about getting at least double the space of a hotel room and at about the same rate or many times less. It's also about having a kitchen, so that I can eat breakfast, pack a lunch, and fix other meals if I want to. And also having some privacy and not having to listen to the chamber staff, vacuum, clean,slam doors, and talk loudly at early hours of the morning as in a hotel room, not to mention noisy guests. Happy Travels!
Old Mar 23rd, 2009, 12:19 PM

I prefer apartments, especially for a stay of a week or more for the extra space, seating (other than just a bed and desk chair), kitchen, and privacy. I can't imagine spending 10-14 days in a hotel room with no coffee, refrigerator, in one room with barely an aisle around the bed. And, it's nice to be able to relax evenings (and enjoy your favorite music and beverages) without having to be "out".

Though I never cook much, you can still save a fortune on coffee, breakfast, snacks, even water and beverages. But, should you gather up appealing products at one of the outdoor markets, you have a place to prepare and enjoy. And, there are wonderful take-away places for roast chicken, sides, just about anything.

While there are resources for groceries just about anywhere, it's best if all is within steps for lugging "home" and not spending too much time collecting supplies during your visit.

Selecting an apartment is nearly daunting - there are so many. Best bet are those recommended here and on other forums.

We prefer to be near one or more bus routes that run late and every day, as we prefer the buses to the metro.

As for "cons", deposits, advance payment of remaining rent, hefty security deposits - and how you pay and are refunded - are considerations, versus a hotel reservation you can cancel and where you pay at the end of your stay with a credit card.

Note that photos online tend to make rooms more spacious than in actuality, so you must learn to observe carefully, and understand that you're probably looking at ALL the space, and not just the center of a room.
Old Mar 23rd, 2009, 12:27 PM

Ditto Guenmai's comments. We've stayed in both hotels and apartments in Paris, but will probably never stay in a hotel again.

Check this site for an excellent article on Paris apartments, with some recommended agencies, and a comprehensive list of Paris apartment web sites: http://parisnotes.com/rentals/parisa...ntrentals.html

In the past we have used HomeRental.com and Chez Vous (http://www.chezvous.com/main.html), and most recently used Vacation in Paris (http://www.vacationinparis.com/)

Of those, I'd recommend Vacation in Paris if you are at all interested in a decent apartment at a good price. They have what looks like by far the lowest deposit requirement, and they mail you the keys, which is far easier than waiting to meet someone at the apartment. The web site is good.

Chez Vous is fine if you have a higher budget. Their apartments are nice and the web site is excellent, but they have increased their prices to a pretty outrageous level in the past few years.

Home Rental was a quirky choice for us a few years back. Their web site is marginal, and their prices are not as low as they used to be. If you find an apartment you like on the site, it helps if you speak French and talk to them, and try to get them to e-mail you more details.

You should definitely poke around the internet for recommended sites. I find a lot of agencies we considered had some hidden fees, such as cleaning, weekend or late arrival, and the like. Check out TripAdvisor.com for reviews as well as the sites mentioned above. A lot of people really like ParisPerfect.com, and the apartments look great - just out of our price range. Finally, tons of people rely on vrbo.com - the potential scam factor has always scared me a little, although we did use it once for a Santa Barbara rental and did fine.

Do the research and you'll do great.
Old Mar 23rd, 2009, 01:14 PM

Another advantage in using Vacation in Paris is that their prices are in US dollars and you know what you are paying even if the exchange rate changes. Already since I booked a few weeks ago, the Euro has risen nearly 10 cents per dollar.
Old Mar 23rd, 2009, 01:28 PM

We had great success renting (for a month) from a private party who owns an apartment in Paris but works in the US. She advertised in a college alumni magazine and is employed in my profession (a college professor). We spoke by phone and e-mailed enough that I had confidence in her. However you do it, an apartment is the way to go unless you need the "support" of hotel staff to be comfortable finding your way around, getting restaurant/train/etc. reservations, and the like. There are pros and cons about renting from an individual rather than an agency, but if you can stand the risk (e.g., what if water damages the apartment?) a private owner renting directly can save you $$ over a fee-based agency.
Old Dec 1st, 2009, 06:13 PM

Has anyone used Paris Perfect apartment rentals for their trips to Paris? What's the thought?
Old Dec 1st, 2009, 06:40 PM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
I second the positive comments above. The only "con" is aranging for key pick-up, meeting the person with the key at a specific time when you are traveling and possibly encountering delays.
Old Dec 1st, 2009, 06:49 PM

Paris Perfect apartments are popular with many fodorites. Using the search box above you'll find lots of info about them. They are pricier than most apartments offered in Paris but are considered well located and are very nicely furnished.

Here is a thread by someone who is in Paris Nov 3- Dec. 14 and staying in several Paris Perfect apartments.
http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...v-3-dec-14.cfm
Old Dec 1st, 2009, 07:42 PM

Re Paris Perfect: "Pricier" is putting it mildly.

You always pay a lot more for an English-language, US-oriented rental agency, IMO.

The poster should tell us what part of Paris he wants to stay in. That will help with specific advice.

BTW: There is currently a trip report from Nikki who stayed near Canal St Martin/ Bastille. That large, bright and lavish apartment with balcony, a vrbo.com listing, costs about 735 E in the off season.

IE about one half to one third the price of a 1 bdrm Paris Perfect apartment.

I have visited the apartment in question and it is very, VERY nice.
Old Dec 1st, 2009, 08:15 PM
cw

frankdaddy,

From reading your other thread I had the impression you had decided upon renting from Paris Perfect. If so, you have no reason to be concerned about the agency. They are expensive but get glowing reviews. Just put their name into the search box at the top of the page and you'll find many satisfied customers. I think the apartment you chose is a good choice for you and your older parents and their requirements.
Old Dec 1st, 2009, 08:42 PM

We've stayed with ParisPerfect three times. Since then, prices have risen considerably, but significant improvements (not that any were essential) have been made since then including air conditioning. In "our" apartment, the kitchen was completely redone and all the furnishings and decor were upgraded/replaced. So, these are now luxe (even more so than previously) properties. Advantages are that the properties are booked and managed by the owners, who take a personal interest in the guests and are always available if there's a problem (though there's a local staff to handle everything). Nearly all their properties are nicely located in the 7th with amazing views of the Tour Eiffel and convenient food shopping in every direction.

They're not really pricier than "most" apartments in Paris, as there are many others at the same price levels. Their objective is to provide the same ammenities, but more space, a kitchen, the view, etc., as you would expect in a four star hotel for a competitive price. Of course, in an apartment, you don't have a bellman, doorman, concierge, room service, etc.

With nearly every other resource, you're taking your chances. It is very difficult to find/rely on reference for other agencies and properties. Most people report satisfactory or better experiences, but there are the disappointments and disasters.

If you're in the mood to splurge and/or can afford ParisPerfect, they do, indeed have a good reputation for their properties and their service. Their attention to inquiries, requests, and detail in all their units, is exceptional.

I haven't checked lately, but previously noticed that rates were significantly less on their VRBO listings than on their official website.
Old Dec 1st, 2009, 09:02 PM

bookmarking
Old Dec 1st, 2009, 09:45 PM

I agree with the above posting. It is well known that I stay in the www.parisperfect.com apartments regularly....since my first stay in one, that is all it took, for me!

I am in Paris now. I have been here since Nov. 3 and will be here until Dec. 14th...almost over!

I enjoy the part of the 7th, where most of their apartments are located. To have ET views is special. I feel at home when I arrive. This part of the 7th is special..so many, many fine restaurants, so many sights to walk to, or buses for every area of Paris..just very convenient and just plain nice!

They have a local office nearby, welcome center. All services are done by their employed people..not some outside service. They are very guest service oriented.

The apartments are lovely, furnished with every amenity that you could want or need. As to prices..specials are available, season rates do make a difference. I feel they are priced well for what you receive. They come in all sizes, for everyone's need.

Have fun doing your searching.

a bientot...

Joan
Old Dec 2nd, 2009, 02:00 AM

We have rented from several agencies over the years and only been disappointed once.
We've used Paris Perfect in the past and will be renting their apartment on rue de Seine beginning Saturday. We expect the usual excellent service and well-appointed apartment.
Old Dec 2nd, 2009, 02:48 AM

We stayed in an apt. on our last trip to Paris. Much preferred that to a hotel for the reasons all the above posters have noted. We decided on Vacation in Paris and were happy with them. Laughingd2 and Pallette said it all. I do have to say that I would really like to try a Paris Perfect apt because they look gorgeous, but do think they are pricey. We have stayed in St. Germain des Pres and the 7th and I tend to agree with Gracejoan about the 7th. We were located on Rue St. Dominique between Invalides and the Eiffel Tower, which we really liked very much. We cannot wait to go back and stay in that area again.
Old Dec 2nd, 2009, 04:02 AM

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
I have had very good luck renting apartments. I usually rent places that I have heard good reports about, but even the ones I have rented blind have worked out well.

I prefer apartments for stays of more than a day or two for all the reasons mentioned above. More space, comfortable seating. If I am with my husband, there is a place for one person to sleep while the other reads or watches TV. I don't have to eat out three meals a day. And more and more, I find I like to spend time in the apartment itself. Most days I do not spend the entire day out and about, but return for significant chunks of the day at my home base, especially if I am going to be out late at night.

On the less positive side, it can be more complicated paying for an apartment than a hotel, involving international money transfers for the deposit and bringing large amounts of cash to the apartment on the arrival day to pay the balance. Many if not most places require security deposits, although some people will accept a US check for the deposit and simply destroy it if the apartment is left with no damage.

For people who rely on the help of the hotel desk staff to call taxis and make reservations, an apartment can be more intimidating, as you have to do those things yourself. And for those whose idea of vacation includes daily changes of linen and housekeeping services, an apartment can involve less pampering than they would prefer.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -